Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to help get to the bottom of this.
Are there any tests that I can check to see where your problems with Google services are coming in?

I might run some later. To be honest dude, I'm so over trying to help an ISP get their services to work. If I imagine failing this badly at work I would have shut my doors months ago.
 
I can't seem to get this replicated on my end :(
Are you using Google's DNS servers?

Gateway IP Address 105.xxx.xx.x
Domain Name Server 196.7.7.7
196.7.8.9

You tell me.

I'm not surprised you can't replicate it, it is inconstant, I can't force it to happen but it is annoying when it does.
 
Last edited:
Are torrents actively negatively shaped during the day with capped accounts?

My experience: they run slowly... the only time they actually run without impediment is between 00:00 and 05:30
And on weekends, you can forget it... this weekend they actually BLOCKED torrents... couldn't even connect to the trackers...
 
Gateway IP Address 105.x.x.x
Domain Name Server 196.7.7.7
196.7.8.9

You tell me.

I'm not surprised you can't replicate it, it is inconstant, I can't force it to happen but it is annoying when it does.

Please try and use Google's DNS servers to see if this improves anything.
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

You may also want to remove your IP from your post :)
 
Sorry about this :( I know we've been working really hard at normalising a stack of services this weekend. Are you still having troubles with Google services this morning?

I'm now using VOX primary and secondary DNS
Default Gateway: 105.237.111.1(ppp0)
Primary DNS Server: 196.22.218.248
and internet seems to be a tad faster overall. But YT doesn't work at all, can't even open the index page.

Nice btw to know you're not shaping our capped accounts. That's why we downgraded in the first place and are now dealing with the hassles of capped internet like it's 1999. It would be great tho if the beneficial Pure Internet Joy of capped goodness would show on our machines.
 
I'm now using VOX primary and secondary DNS
Default Gateway: 105.237.111.1(ppp0)
Primary DNS Server: 196.22.218.248
and internet seems to be a tad faster overall. But YT doesn't work at all, can't even open the index page.

Nice btw to know you're not shaping our capped accounts. That's why we downgraded in the first place and are now dealing with the hassles of capped internet like it's 1999. It would be great tho if the beneficial Pure Internet Joy of capped goodness would show on our machines.

Hhmm, so even using another ISP YouTube is a bit sticky?
What happens if you use Google's DNS servers?
 
There's absolutely no shaping on Capped accounts.

I actually often get shaped with news server downloads on my capped account or simply completely blocked. This is local and international servers
 
I actually often get shaped with news server downloads on my capped account or simply completely blocked. This is local and international servers

That's not right :( When you notice usenet take a bit of a slump are your other downloads slow too?
 
Nope, other downloads running 100%

When trying to connect to ANY news server it simply times out. or best case, 1kb/s download.

I'm also on last legs with afrihost, if was not for mobile contract I have would have cancelled ages ago.

Who ever does your caching devices seriously need to look at fixing them.

L:
 
Nope, other downloads running 100%

When trying to connect to ANY news server it simply times out. or best case, 1kb/s download.

I'm also on last legs with afrihost, if was not for mobile contract I have would have cancelled ages ago.

Who ever does your caching devices seriously need to look at fixing them.

L:

I'd like to take a closer look at this with you, sounds like a bit of an odd one. Although I'm not sure where caching comes into this?
Would you be able to PM me some tests?
 
When you get 100ms responce from a website, but unable to connect to it , it normally points to the caching boxes. I would take wild guess thats the google issue as well.

Rather fix your normal web browsing before worring about torrentz and news downloads. I can live without them (well almost)
 
When you get 100ms responce from a website, but unable to connect to it , it normally points to the caching boxes. I would take wild guess thats the google issue as well.

Rather fix your normal web browsing before worring about torrentz and news downloads. I can live without them (well almost)

I think Google services are something separate.
Regardless though, could you PM me some results that you see within your setup so I can take a closer look?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X