Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys!

We just saw a drop-off in throughput on our side, we managed to work with MTN and things appear to be back to normal now. Can you guys please test and advise if there is any change.

No. I switched ISP to test again then started a stream, I am not switching back now.
 
lol as long as MTN is involved nothing will change the **** will continue for ever AH just wants the $$$$$ and give you a **** service i have to agree just get another ISP the vox deal is good and it will end 31 July :rolleyes:
 
Hi everyone

In light of everything that is happening can anyone tell me their experience with a webafrica capped account?? Worth the move?

We're happy so far. We went for a WA Business Capped: 200 GB anytime and 800 GB 0:00-6:00. R100 more than Afrihost 400 GB Capped anytime. Could also have gone for the Home Capped with the same GB's and saved R200 compared to AH. Decided the higher priority and crazy 800 GB is the best option. We use it at two homes and our office.
 
Hey Guys!

We just saw a drop-off in throughput on our side, we managed to work with MTN and things appear to be back to normal now. Can you guys please test and advise if there is any change.

Test Result: PATHETIC.
Can't even use Youtube at 480p...
 
lol as long as MTN is involved nothing will change the **** will continue for ever AH just wants the $$$$$ and give you a **** service i have to agree just get another ISP the vox deal is good and it will end 31 July :rolleyes:

I don't think that is quite fair to be honest. We've shown with our new ADSL PoC that we are rolling out that we are willing to spare not expense to get our new ADSL network up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible.
 
My Google services still useless. Cannot even open the main youtube screen on my tablet. Once in 5 tries I may be lucky, else just getting 'an error ocurred' with the retry button.

Seems to be an MTN issue though. Our MTN business account at work doing the same thing since Friday. Could not use Google today as it would just get stuck randomly, and any edits would effectively be lost. No fix forthcoming.

Can easily reproduce. Ping 8.8.8.8. Every 5 to 10 pings are lost.

Mtn cape town thing possibly?
 
Performance up here in Pretoria is still TERRIBLE.

Getting really annoyed now. I should not have a latency of 300ms+ to local servers. Ridiculous.
 
My Google services still useless. Cannot even open the main youtube screen on my tablet. Once in 5 tries I may be lucky, else just getting 'an error ocurred' with the retry button.

Seems to be an MTN issue though. Our MTN business account at work doing the same thing since Friday. Could not use Google today as it would just get stuck randomly, and any edits would effectively be lost. No fix forthcoming.

Can easily reproduce. Ping 8.8.8.8. Every 5 to 10 pings are lost.

Mtn cape town thing possibly?

Hmmm, that's worrisome.

Which DNS servers is your modem set to use at the moment?
 
Been a family member with Afrihost since as long as I can remember, but the last 3 months has just been pure frustration and looking at this thread does not give me hope.

My last phone in to Afrihost help desk was that I was downloading too much that is why I was getting constant disconnects and was compared to a river overflowing...
My line = 10Mb, Sync = 7.3Mb, Package = 4Mb Business on 10Mb Line, Average download = 250Kb ... You do the puzzle on that one...!?!

Thx for the not so Pure Internet Joy...

I am jumping ship as well...

Edit: I have so many logged calls, even emailed Gian, of which I have had no reply to date. I phoned Telkom and they were there in a jiffy to assist. Afrihost blames Telkom, Telkom blames Afrihost. Poor me sitting on the sideline watching the ball being thrown between each other.

I signed up an account with OpenWeb...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4518579470.png
No settings were change either on the modem or the computer. I sent a PM to AfriGenie as requested. Hope he can sort something out.
For now, I am with OpenWeb.
 
Last edited:
Pages loading a bit slower in the East now. Facebook is taking longer and losing chat connection. Sporadic though.
 
Oh man :D

Comparing AH vs OpenWeb
Facebook and its games = Fast !
Youtube = streaming 1080p and buffering way ahead of playback !

Sadly, AH has not given me that joy in the last few months, I had to download Youtube just to watch a video without buffering problems @ 240p
AH, I hope you guys work a resolution out fast.
 
We've shown with our new ADSL PoC that we are rolling out that we are willing to spare not expense to get our new ADSL network up and running as quickly and efficiently as possible.

lol what did AH show with the new PoC network? NOTHING its still the same as it was months ago. AH can't even get a test network to run properly instead AH wasted everyone's time testing it and letting people believe AH are fixing the network how many months must we still wait for a working network? oh wait we can't give a exact date or time
 
Hmmm, that's worrisome.

Which DNS servers is your modem set to use at the moment?

196.7.7.7 and 196.7.8.9.
Will try 8.8.8.8, but expect it will kill the interwebs entirely (if my pings are anything to go by.)

Edit: Surprisingly, doesn't kill everything. But still same problems with the Googles. And everything is slower.
 
Last edited:
AfriGenie has given me a PoC account, whew, what a difference!!!

Whatever the PoC is connecting to, the speed results show IS and not MTN...

MTN the culprit???

Speedtest using the new PoC account:
4518697721.png
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X