Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning All

I see most of the posts relate to speeds or performance in the South, and some comments I made in a post. I think it's best to address this in one post, so that there is no confusion.

We've mentioned several times that the issue we are currently dealing with is that demand is currently high, especially in the evenings, when we see more P2P traffic than we'd like and this additional demand places strain on the available network resources. We've improved our deep packet inspection accuracy, which drives our Uncapped shaping, which has significantly reduced demand and we are seeing more and more evenings when latency is not affected and where it does the overall affect is greatly reduced. There is still more work to be done until we can reduce the excess traffic to the point where performance is within the expected levels at all times. Right now, we're seeing good performance in terms of latency throughout the day except for a peak window somewhere between 9pm and 10pm and we are focussing our efforts on making clients internet experience as good as it can be as we continue to work on reducing demand from rogue P2P traffic.

There seems to be a feeling that we're not saying we don't have enough capacity. If all traffic was unshaped on all products, yes, we would not have sufficient capacity to deliver a good experience. However, we do believe that with shaping working at optimum levels and all traffic being correctly classified, we believe that have adequate resources to deliver a good overall experience. If shaping and packet inspection is brought to full efficiency and we're still not able to provide the experience we expect, then we'll obviously need to consider other options in the way of capacity or a different approach to managing the network. For now though, from our data, we believe that we can meet demand with these elements under control.


I'm sorry but if this was true, then Capped users would not have an issue and this is the CAPPED Thread! For the past few months now, I have not had a day where I do not get packet loss while gaming, yesterday especially bad again (a Sunday!). People constantly complain about TeamSpeak, latency on other games and streaming is confirmed by many to be an issue since the migration to MTN. Whatever good you are saying you're doing/achieving that is not what your clients experience!
 
I'm sorry but if this was true, then Capped users would not have an issue and this is the CAPPED Thread! For the past few months now, I have not had a day where I do not get packet loss while gaming, yesterday especially bad again (a Sunday!). People constantly complain about TeamSpeak, latency on other games and streaming is confirmed by many to be an issue since the migration to MTN. Whatever good you are saying you're doing/achieving that is not what your clients experience!

If everything was running perfectly, then our Capped users would have a good experience, the fact that at times latencies spike means that our system isn't performing as well as it should, and that we need to work on it.

There is a lot of work being done by our Team on TeamSpeak, it seems that the latency and packet loss are affecting certain servers to a great degree than others - and it is our top priority to make sure the performance is consistent across all Team Speak servers.

Gaming should be fine at all times of the day, if it isn't let us know ASAP, and we'll get the Critical Care Team to to investigate and see what the issue is. It seems that League of Legends does appear to be problematic at times and we're closely monitoring LoL's throughput on local and international bandwidth. CS:GO seems to have issues pop up now again - but similarly to TeamSpeak only seems to be on certain servers - if there are any other games that aren't running as they should, let us know!
 
4416790107.png


Fantastic!
 
Gaming should be fine at all times of the day, if it isn't let us know ASAP, and we'll get the Critical Care Team to to investigate and see what the issue is. It seems that League of Legends does appear to be problematic at times and we're closely monitoring LoL's throughput on local and international bandwidth. CS:GO seems to have issues pop up now again - but similarly to TeamSpeak only seems to be on certain servers - if there are any other games that aren't running as they should, let us know!

The problem is that it happens when there is no support (after 10pm or weekends) and unless you have PS4 players playing Battlefield4 on standby, it won't be any good. Yesterday I got disconnected from the EA servers, disconnected from party chats, all while other internet traffic work fine! My squad members are on WebAfrica and CrystalWeb and they did not have any issues.
 
The problem is that it happens when there is no support (after 10pm or weekends) and unless you have PS4 players playing Battlefield4 on standby, it won't be any good. Yesterday I got disconnected from the EA servers, disconnected from party chats, all while other internet traffic work fine! My squad members are on WebAfrica and CrystalWeb and they did not have any issues.

:(

Definitely not cool at all!

Was this on a console or on a PC?
 
Don't have much to complain about here with my Afrihost.
Need static IP on my capped package, but info seems hard to come by
 
Hi AfriGenie

It is a a 6Mbps connection.

4417220123.png


4417224446.png


EDIT:

View attachment 223262

Thanks!

So the local connection seems to be chugging along decently. I'm checking if there are any issues or slow downs on our international link. In terms of throughput everything appears okay, but there could be something cropping on the routing.
 
Don't have much to complain about here with my Afrihost.
Need static IP on my capped package, but info seems hard to come by

It's great to hear to that your connection is running at an acceptable level!

At the moment only our Business Uncapped accounts support Static IP addresses. At the moment, there aren't any plans to expand Static IPs to our Capped accounts I'm afraid.
 


I keep getting rekt by this, this just appears out of nowhere, got 10ms, suddenly roflpwnage 150ms.

Some random ISP:

 


I keep getting rekt by this, this just appears out of nowhere, got 10ms, suddenly roflpwnage 150ms.

Some random ISP:


0_0

Can you quickly run a traceroute to Afrihost.com! I definitely need to get the Team to look into that!
 
0_0

Can you quickly run a traceroute to Afrihost.com! I definitely need to get the Team to look into that!

C:\Users\Henri>tracert afrihost.com

Tracing route to afrihost.com [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms home.gateway.home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 227 ms 200 ms 156 ms 41.181.221.253
4 140 ms 116 ms 119 ms 41.181.221.254
5 163 ms 100 ms 103 ms tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.19
8.188]
6 96 ms 96 ms 95 ms unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
7 133 ms 125 ms 130 ms jh-cr-1.za--tb-cr-2.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]

8 132 ms 126 ms 123 ms jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.21
7]
9 152 ms 148 ms 154 ms 18.185.181.41.in-addr.aserv.co.za [41.181.185.18
]

Trace complete.
 
I'm downloading a torrent atm to test my bandwidth availability with Afrihost this afternoon. I have a 2MB/s connection and 10 + 10 GB bandwidth with Afrihost at (I must admit the very low price of R49, BUT IT'S NO GOOD IF IT DOESN'T WORK!!!). Subsequent to taking the clip about an hour ago I've had a number of disconnections.Bittorrent d.l slow.jpg
 
I'm downloading a torrent atm to test my bandwidth availability with Afrihost this afternoon. I have a 2MB/s connection and 10 + 10 GB bandwidth with Afrihost at (I must admit the very low price of R49, BUT IT'S NO GOOD IF IT DOESN'T WORK!!!). Subsequent to taking the clip about an hour ago I've had a number of disconnections.View attachment 223336

Are the disconnections due to the P2P service being dropped completely or are you seeing the actual ADSL-session drop?
 
Bittorrent never drops unless there is a lack of seeders. You're trying to find and make excuses for a crappy service atm. You have your job to do, and maybe Afrihost has major problems, but it might help if they come clean and tell their users what the problems are...ie. TRANSPARENCY!!!
 
Bittorrent never drops unless there is a lack of seeders. You're trying to find and make excuses for a crappy service atm. You have your job to do, and maybe Afrihost has major problems, but it might help if they come clean and tell their users what the problems are...ie. TRANSPARENCY!!!

I've seen Torrent connections drop from multiple reasons other than lack of seeders. The trackers could be taken offline, the seeders that are online could have their upload bandwidth set to the minimum 8Kbps etc.

I cannot make any assumptions as to what your issue could be, I need to look at your entire connection and figure out what the issue is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X