Afrihost Capped ADSL Feedback (MTN) - New beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah yes...back to "normal"

20mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4418220383

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SlowHands>tracert www.afrihost.co.za

Tracing route to www.afrihost.co.za [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DSL-AC68U-EA70 [172.18.81.39]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 190 ms 161 ms 162 ms 41.181.51.181
4 116 ms 127 ms 118 ms 41.181.51.182
5 117 ms 117 ms 114 ms tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.19
8.188]
6 145 ms 148 ms 153 ms unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
7 166 ms 166 ms 164 ms pe-cr-2.za--el-mse-1.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]

8 148 ms 155 ms 165 ms jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.21
7]
9 159 ms 159 ms 156 ms 18.185.181.41.in-addr.aserv.co.za [41.181.185.18
]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\SlowHands>
 
As you were so keen to point out to everybody today that your network is running perfectly and you have plenty of capacity in the cape I decided to switch back from Telkom, to Afrihost. the Result? Streaming is impossible, back to Telkom where I have had no issues all weekend.

Will this ever be fixed or are we now being milked for the cash you can get, to make up for the good years we had prior to MTN?
You better take all that you can before we all give up and leave this typical second rate MTN excuse for service and PR bull that we are fed if we complain.
 
back to Telkom where I have had no issues all weekend.

And what a difference !!!, the same file from the same server on the same line with Telkom buffers to the end in 3Min, Afrifost was running for 5 then freezing and buffering. No way is that anything other than your network playing up.
 
As you were so keen to point out to everybody today that your network is running perfectly and you have plenty of capacity in the cape I decided to switch back from Telkom, to Afrihost. the Result? Streaming is impossible, back to Telkom where I have had no issues all weekend.

Will this ever be fixed or are we now being milked for the cash you can get, to make up for the good years we had prior to MTN?
You better take all that you can before we all give up and leave this typical second rate MTN excuse for service and PR bull that we are fed if we complain.

I think we're really going around in circles here. We know that there are problems, but I think there are lots of stages in between "we have no problems" and "the network is falling over", and I think only moving between those two statuses makes it difficult for us to convey a realistic and transparent state of the network here.

At the moment, in terms of the South, we know that during the peak demand period, usually between about 9pm and 10pm, we see higher demand and this is sometimes the cause of increased latency, though we've seen that reduced in terms of frequency and severity over the last few weeks as the team have increased the DPI efficiency. We are still working on this to get to a stage where we don't see any latency at all. We do believe that the remainder of the 24 hours clients in the South should be getting a normal experience. If anyone isn;t, we need to troubleshoot if you are seeing additional latency in off-peak hours, etc, because that's totally different to what we're seeing/expecting. If you are only seeing latency in that peak window, it is expected but definitely not a norm that we want to accept. We are doing everything possible to improve performance during that time. I think the improvements we've seen by working hard at increasing traffic management efficiency have shown that we can maximise our network potential with the resources we have, regardless of what other ongoing long term plans are made in terms of upgrades, capacity, etc.
 
Yet, just like Axxess(your sister company with the same issues) you deduct and demand full payment every month from your customers for a service that is only working like it should 60% of the time. I think u guys need to go back to Service Delivery 101 school.
 
Yet, just like Axxess(your sister company with the same issues) you deduct and demand full payment every month from your customers for a service that is only working like it should 60% of the time. I think u guys need to go back to Service Delivery 101 school.

I think, in terms of the South, a one hour window definitely wouldn't translate to 60% service delivery. That's only like 4% or 5% of the full 24 hour cycle in which service is provided. Whether you choose to use the full 24 hours for your data services, or only specific hours, the reality is that we provide a 24 hour service and access to data.
 
I think we're really going around in circles here. We know that there are problems, but I think there are lots of stages in between "we have no problems" and "the network is falling over", and I think only moving between those two statuses makes it difficult for us to convey a realistic and transparent state of the network here.

There are only two states, it either works when the user who has paid for the service wants to use that service, or it fails.
You cant go around telling users that there is nothing wrong with the service they are paying for on the basis that it works fine as long as they don't try and use it.
If you are selling a business hours only account then say so up front, but users buying a Business account expect service during business hours, users buying residential accounts expect service outside of business hours.

Saying residential ADSL works perfectly while everyone is at work, and therefore not using it, is pointless.
 
Like this speedtest I posted earlier in this page

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4418220383

with tracert at the time

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SlowHands>tracert www.afrihost.co.za

Tracing route to www.afrihost.co.za [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DSL-AC68U-EA70 [172.18.81.39]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 190 ms 161 ms 162 ms 41.181.51.181
4 116 ms 127 ms 118 ms 41.181.51.182
5 117 ms 117 ms 114 ms tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.19
8.188]
6 145 ms 148 ms 153 ms unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
7 166 ms 166 ms 164 ms pe-cr-2.za--el-mse-1.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]

8 148 ms 155 ms 165 ms jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.21
7]
9 159 ms 159 ms 156 ms 18.185.181.41.in-addr.aserv.co.za [41.181.185.18
]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\SlowHands>

now...this is roughly just after I've gotten home, made some dinner, and gets ready to relax with some casual gaming/streaming for a "couple of hours" before I go to bed.

In OTHER words...

12:00 - 06:00 - Sleep
06:01 - 18:00 - Not at home, at work
18:01 - 11:39 - At home, and only possible time to use my internet

So...this is 6 hours (or 25%) of the day I have to use my internet. I honestly don't care if this is peak time...my payment never fluctuates...I pay FULL price every single month. My account that I have is a "capped account", which means it SHOULD be unshaped, which means I SHOULD be getting priority on the network, which means I SHOULD be getting just about full speeds. Actually...I should be getting full speed until the bandwidth that I bought, is finished.

Imagine if companies like DSTV told people in the "South"....ja...your reception is a bit **** because that's peak time, you "should" be getting better reception when it's not peak time...ja, because I really want to watch my 8pm show at 3am in the morning...that makes a LOT of sense...eish
 
There are only two states, it either works when the user who has paid for the service wants to use that service, or it fails.
You cant go around telling users that there is nothing wrong with the service they are paying for on the basis that it works fine as long as they don't try and use it.
If you are selling a business hours only account then say so up front, but users buying a Business account expect service during business hours, users buying residential accounts expect service outside of business hours.

Saying residential ADSL works perfectly while everyone is at work, and therefore not using it, is pointless.

Only having two states - one working and another state of not working - would make things significantly easier for us for sure. The difficult part is keeping a working network running well and efficiently.

You are definitely correct, Business users and Residential users have different needs and demands of their accounts, and for the most part we manage to balance these needs and demands pretty decently, at times - particularly in the early evenings - things don't go as so well. This is currently our top priority to sort out, and I don't think anyone will need to wait much longer.
 
Like this speedtest I posted earlier in this page

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4418220383

with tracert at the time

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\SlowHands>tracert www.afrihost.co.za

Tracing route to www.afrihost.co.za [41.181.185.18]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DSL-AC68U-EA70 [172.18.81.39]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 190 ms 161 ms 162 ms 41.181.51.181
4 116 ms 127 ms 118 ms 41.181.51.182
5 117 ms 117 ms 114 ms tb-dca-2.za--qux-c.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.19
8.188]
6 145 ms 148 ms 153 ms unc-cpt-1.mtnns.net [196.44.18.8]
7 166 ms 166 ms 164 ms pe-cr-2.za--el-mse-1.za.mtnns.net [196.44.31.66]

8 148 ms 155 ms 165 ms jh-dca-1.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net [196.44.0.21
7]
9 159 ms 159 ms 156 ms 18.185.181.41.in-addr.aserv.co.za [41.181.185.18
]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\SlowHands>

now...this is roughly just after I've gotten home, made some dinner, and gets ready to relax with some casual gaming/streaming for a "couple of hours" before I go to bed.

In OTHER words...

12:00 - 06:00 - Sleep
06:01 - 18:00 - Not at home, at work
18:01 - 11:39 - At home, and only possible time to use my internet

So...this is 6 hours (or 25%) of the day I have to use my internet. I honestly don't care if this is peak time...my payment never fluctuates...I pay FULL price every single month. My account that I have is a "capped account", which means it SHOULD be unshaped, which means I SHOULD be getting priority on the network, which means I SHOULD be getting just about full speeds. Actually...I should be getting full speed until the bandwidth that I bought, is finished.

Imagine if companies like DSTV told people in the "South"....ja...your reception is a bit **** because that's peak time, you "should" be getting better reception when it's not peak time...ja, because I really want to watch my 8pm show at 3am in the morning...that makes a LOT of sense...eish

:(

I'm in definite agreement with you! I don't think it is unfair at all to expect a Capped product to perform exactly in the way that you want it to. This is our top priority at the moment, and we have a significant Team working on the Network to get the issues worked out and get each of our Users the experience that they need.
 
This is currently our top priority to sort out, and I don't think anyone will need to wait much longer.

Hi AfriGenie,

Thanx so much for sharing that with us.

Now, as with any company, as soon as actions become priority, there has to be a plan in place. With any plan, there are ETA's.

Could you perhaps share on what does this plan entail? ...and by what date "should" we start experiencing normal speeds/latencies etc?

I ask this because I would like to obviously test my line after the date that Afrihost has linked to this plan of theirs to fix the current problems we are currently experiencing. I need to know when this date will be because if it's too far in the future for my liking, I will have to switch to another ISP.
 
Morning

Are you guys experiencing any problems currently? The Afrihost website is not loading and local as well as international surfing is slow.
 
Morning

Are you guys experiencing any problems currently? The Afrihost website is not loading and local as well as international surfing is slow.

We've got the same problem. Internet very slow and Afrihost site not loading.
 
No one even appears to have a handle on when this congestion occurs any longer:
At the moment, in terms of the South, we know that during the peak demand period, usually between about 9pm and 10pm, we see higher demand ...
I think, in terms of the South, a one hour window definitely wouldn't translate to 60% service delivery.
- particularly in the early evenings -

And Yet my posts about bad service, above, were at 11:15 and 11:40 PM.

It is not a "narrow window", it is all weekend and all evening 5PM to Midnight on week days.

Yes it may vary from day to day but blatantly saying it is only one hour it shows total ignorance of the problem or total apathy with regards to it.
 
Just a quick update, our ClientZone is down at the moment. Our Dev Team is working on getting it back-up, this will in no way be affecting any internet connectivity.
 
Just a quick update, our ClientZone is down at the moment. Our Dev Team is working on getting it back-up, this will in no way be affecting any internet connectivity.

On our side the whole site is down. Also internet crawling. Something is up.
 
On our side the whole site is down. Also internet crawling. Something is up.

Which sites and services are slow? Are you able to run a speedtest?

As I said, this is just the ClientZone backend that is down, and should definitely not be affecting your connection in any way.
 
Axxess and Afrihost unusable today.
Slooooooooooow throughput, time-outs and the ususal "peak" contention issues this morning.

Using IS accounts now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X