Something is definitely not happy there... With the issues seeming to worsen during peak times it could either be congestion on the Exchange or a system on our side not handling the network management as well as it should.
This got me wondering and I felt like I needed to understand more about this. So when the power came back early last night, I installed smokeping on a VM and let it at it.
I monitored 4 different sites. They all behave differently at different times of the day. If it was the exchange, they would have all exhibited latency at the same time. So from those results, I can confidently say that the exchange here is not the main culprit - at least not in these graphs.
Let me share - starting with www.afrihost.com:
Not too bad - looking OK tonight.
Moving on to a site in Canada (rogers.com) for some international comparison:
Again, as expected - not too bad with a few spikes.
On to News24.com:
Okay, something is up here during business hours. But nevertheless, I left the best for last - The Google itself, as represented by the 8.8.8.8 DNS server:
15% packet loss max over the day and 9% right now? Wow.
I don't know who you peer with for the local Google cache servers, but something here is seriously wrong. Maybe someone with more knowledge about ISP peering can fill in a few of the blanks?
(As I sit here typing this now, I can see some similar behaviour kick in and all 4 traces are suddenly starting to exhibit similar spikes. So maybe there is some exchange congestion in there as well. But that does not explain the packet loss to Google's cache servers.)