Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
I have my own VPN which I built using softether. You can roll it on any hosted vps. The magic source is this in the client. It flies because it multiplexes. I also always use it now in hotspots and other people's networks.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I have my own VPN which I built using softether. You can roll it on any hosted vps. The magic source is this in the client. It flies because it multiplexes. I also always use it now in hotspots and other people's networks.
View attachment 769254
That's not a bad idea actually. Anyone know which hosting provider has a data center in Cape Town with a reasonably (~140ms) fast route to EU?

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
That's not a bad idea actually. Anyone know which hosting provider has a data center in Cape Town with a reasonably (~140ms) fast route to EU?
There are a few guys in Cape Town but you can cook it.
What you can do is get a local VPS in South Africa and one in Europe. You can then install softether on both. You log into the South African one which is cascaded to the international one with multiple connections.
Bob's your uncle...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah Telkom transit provider is a disappointment. If they were really serious about fixing the issue they could.

Their EASSY capacity is saturated because everyone is going via that route be it Telkom LTE, Fibre, Afrihost, Webafrica, Axxess and on all the technologies.

Telkom should just move a few gigabytes/s to Seacom transit or maybe even Cogent co or HE which they use to peer with in London so why not just rather hand off some traffic in JHB to them let them take it from there instead of sticking with their own very congested capacity.

Times like these I wonder if Liquid telecoms would not have been better and whether Afrihost or EchoSP made the right decision to switch transit providers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
What speeds are you getting with nordvpn? Not even getting 1mb down.
Nord VPN has a few servers in SA with different providers. One being Psychz Networks and the other one being Host1Plus Networks. Switch between a few and see which one gives the best speeds and latency. They are sadly not marked in the NordVPN app or website.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Oddly, all traffic from CPT still being routed through JHB. Interestingly, WTFast seems to use the same route, but uses the Cape Town Cloudflare node as a starting point, resulting in much better latency. Weird that Cloudflare themselves don't.

Also when on Warp, Youtube seems to default to Youtube Kenya for some bizarre reason.
Did some tests over warp and eventhough sometimes it defaults to YouTube KE the data still comes from JHB peering.

cavedog

Honorary Master
well, a mixture of HE aswell, luck of the draw as i can't select what server i want on the mac, just disconnect and connect again, but get packetloss on HE.
I saw only 2 providers though unless they added more.

Psychz Networks and the other one being Host1Plus Networks