Amobia

hhashali

Dear MyBroadband

I hope you are all well. I would like to share my personal experience with Amobia as my WISP. I have been a client with them for 4 years now. In 2013 they were on the old system where they used a torching system. The torching system prioritised browsing, streaming and gaming. In relation to torrents one could hardly get any reasonable speeds as they throttled torrents to death. So as a gamer I was more then happy and rarely had issues unless I needed a specific port torched for gaming a specific application. In mid 2015 till August 2016 I experienced the worst service imaginable. I could hardly browse, game nor carry on with my usual business. It was so bad I was even depressed at one stage. No other WISP pricing competed with Amobia in PE and installing a phone line would of meant that telkom had to dig up my pathway, so that wasn't a viable option. Calling support was more detrimental to my mental health as they continiously said the problem will be or has been fixed only for it to act up again. I found out the reason why they were experiencing so many issues was due to them doing major upgrades and getting a new backbone. Unforunately, we were never notified nor given an estimate on how long it would take. Not knowing was the worst feeling, imagine not being able to browse? Most of you understand that internet is not a luxury in our life and without it our progression in reaching our objectives in life are hindered.

Since August 2016 I even forgot that they existed as my connection speeds was amazing so I could game, browse, stream and continue with my academic activities with no issues at all. There support department has been excellent the only issue I had since then was that my antenna pole for my satellite broke. I called it in and within a hour a tech guy was at my place and fixed up everything nicely by even installing a new pole. He ran a diagnostic and ensured the signal to the tower was strong and that my connection was brialliant.

The reason why I took the time out to share my personal experience is so you can understand how far Amobia has come as a company. Sometimes in life we trash our internet providers especially when service is crap, which is our right as we are paying customers who expect is certain level of service. However, very rarely do we take the time out to compliment our ISP's for excellent service. Today I am glad I remained with Amobia as I have seen them grow. My biggest issue that frustrated me to the point of depression in mid 2015-mid 2016 was not being notified on what was going on and when everyhting would be fixed, coupled with empty promises. Today all of Amobia's subscribers received an email notifying us that they were going to do urgent maintence and even provided the time slot for it to take place. Receiving an email from them notifying all of us on what was going on was heart warming as it doesn't only save consumers airtime calling their support centre, it also prevents consumers from experiencing frustration and the consumers can plan accordingly not to do critical work during that period booked for maintanence on the network.

In short, under the new managment, Amobia has come a long way as a ISP and WISP. I would highly recommend them again as they are continously striving to improve their service.

Warm regards
H

MikeR

Ok my story is very similar to hhashali but with a twist the last few weeks have now become a nightmare all over again, I cannot get anything sorted out the connections are getting worse day by day now.
Im in Edenvale - when the connection is good - well its good but it drops too often - I counted 8 times last night its getting very frustrating.
BTW I still have not received one email regarding any downtime - I find out the hard way.
my problem is there is no hard backbone service in my complex and Telkom are not interested in putting one in because of cost and all the other wireless systems do not work - Hence Amobia, but this month Vodacom have started laying Fiber cables - so I think its time for a change - even if it cost me more I cannot carry on with the uncertainty.

e4et

Expert Member
Ok my story is very similar to hhashali but with a twist the last few weeks have now become a nightmare all over again, I cannot get anything sorted out the connections are getting worse day by day now.
Im in Edenvale - when the connection is good - well its good but it drops too often - I counted 8 times last night its getting very frustrating.
BTW I still have not received one email regarding any downtime - I find out the hard way.
my problem is there is no hard backbone service in my complex and Telkom are not interested in putting one in because of cost and all the other wireless systems do not work - Hence Amobia, but this month Vodacom have started laying Fiber cables - so I think its time for a change - even if it cost me more I cannot carry on with the uncertainty.
Mike. Have a look at the Telkom Wireless LTE. I'm in Linbro Park, and according to Telkom's coverage map, my area isn't covered, but I get close to 20Megs down and 3 Megs up. I have no problems streaming, gaming and the odd Linux distro download.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
As far as I know if Vodacom is putting in fibre they are going from one tower to another tower. I haven't seen them put in FTTH but I may be wrong.

If they are make the Jump you wont look back, Amobia is the Openweb of WISP's. Can't believe they are still in business.

Also for the price of Amobia's 10mb/s product http://www.amobia.com/wireless_broadband?wic=wireless_broadband_uncapped you can get Cool Ideas 100mb/s product https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/vumatel-residential/ depending on which Fibre network would connect you.

Both uncapped but one is shaped to hell (guess which one), the other people are downloading over 2TB's a month without a problem.

Hows the torrent downloading these days on Amobia still 2.5kb/s?

Last edited:

savage

Expert Member
Also for the price of Amobia's 10mb/s product http://www.amobia.com/wireless_broadband?wic=wireless_broadband_uncapped you can get Cool Ideas 100mb/s product https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/vumatel-residential/ depending on which Fibre network would connect you.
The problem is the the fiber is available only in a handful of places - just saying... Not by any means pro Amobia, but your argument doesn't hold any relevance what so ever in the case where fiber isn't available.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
The problem is the the fiber is available only in a handful of places - just saying... Not by any means pro Amobia, but your argument doesn't hold any relevance what so ever in the case where fiber isn't available.
Did you even read what I said. Let me break it down for you

As far as I know if Vodacom is putting in fibre they are going from one tower to another tower. I haven't seen them put in FTTH but I may be wrong. (I dont think they are putting in fibre)

If they are make the Jump you wont look back (havent said there is a fibre network), Amobia is the Openweb of WISP's. Can't believe they are still in business.

Also for the price of Amobia's 10mb/s product http://www.amobia.com/wireless_broad...dband_uncapped you can get Cool Ideas 100mb/s product https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/vumatel-residential/ depending on which Fibre network would connect you.
(This is only the case if there is fibre and which company is putting it in)

Both uncapped but one is shaped to hell (guess which one), the other people are downloading over 2TB's a month without a problem.

Please read before jumping to conclusions.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Haven't had any problems recently downloading torrents, HTTP SSL (port 443), HTTP...there was an outage last night for about an hour though.

Think I've done about 85Gb in the 10 day rolling period they use for their FUP (233Gb max before throttling kicks in).

Great Gatsby

ok kewl gotcha. I also picked that up from the fact that their tech guys came out to my place last week, confirmed that i do have line of sight, heard nothing back from sales dept after that, and then when i phone to ask whatsup, no sir you dont actually have LOS. So ya.....actually kinda glad it turned out that way coz i started reading some scary stuff about them......on the MyBB forums etc

Gonna give another WISP a try

Great Gatsby

Portcullis...........Cape Connect was the VERY FIRST WISP I heard of a few years ago and you guys are RECOMMENDED!!! So ya, would've definitely have love to go with your company

However, I am not willing to pay R1130 for a 4Mbps line. I see you guys only have uncapped packages offered on your website. Do you not perhaps have capped 4mbps packages? I wouldn't mind paying R700 - R800 for a 4Mbps 100GB package (since I dont use more than 90 - 100 GBs a month)