An Odd Home Network Setup

Sysem

Expert Member
I have a fairly odd setup for our home network (mainly due to 2nd hand hardware...) that gives us some issues. Our current setup has the ADSL line going to a Telkom Wireless router/modem. Because the wireless doesn't work - only the ethernet - this is then connected to an MWEB Billion modem/router to provide the one room (outside the main house) with WiFi. Another LAN cable is then connected to a 2nd MWEB Billion router inside the house where that provides WiFi to the rest of the house.

The reason we didn't use the Billion routers as the ADSL modem is because they're locked to an MWEB account and we have a Telkom account.

Now this is our problem. Sometime when a client connectes to the WiFi, instead of having access to the Telkom Router (and therefore, the Internet), they only have access to that local router. I know this, because I can enter the IP of the Billion router and access it, but not the Telkom one. Reconnecting a few times (sometimes a few too many), The connection goes through properly and I can access the Telkom router (and therefore, the Internet).

Now for me, this is no issue. In fact, my laptop is generally the only one that connects all the time. (Maybe its Ubuntu :p ). However, for the other 4 in my house - all of whom are quite technically challenged - this is a serious problem, as they can barely connect most of the time.

Now, it could be a setting issue (I haven't changed any settings, simply connected LAN cables etc etc), but I wouldn't know what to set up/change. It could also be router issue, but connecting straight via LAN seems to solve the issue - maybe a wireless problem?

So thats my problem. Does anyone know what the best way to go about this is? Bare in mind, we are students who don't really want to fork out for a new, proper modem/router. However - if there is a fairly decently priced router that could provide our whole house with a decent signal, that would be amazing. The phone line comes in to the outside room, so the router would need to be from there.

Thanks.

MickZA

Executive Member
Don't know the MWEB Billion router so I can't give exact instructions on how their setup works but check that the DHCP server is disabled in both (assuming this is possible).

Sysem

Expert Member
Don't know the MWEB Billion router so I can't give exact instructions on how their setup works but check that the DHCP server is disabled in both (assuming this is possible).
Can't remember the models now, but I know I can disable DHCP on both - so I will do that. I'm assuming the issue would be that the Billion routers DHCP server assigns wrong IP address's?

rorz0r

Executive Member
It definitely sounds like they are both running DHCP and the one is giving incorrect settings, most likely the gateway as itself and not the "real" gateway to access the internet.

qDot

Expert Member
Also if it is possible, on the same router do switch off NAT.

I have a similar setup.

I have a Huawei 3G Modem (B683). Unknown to me, one cannot change power output of the wifi signal. This power setting is important to me as I have noticed if I reduce it to 25 % I get less interference issues.

Anyway, i connected a second router (Intellinet Wireless 300N 3G) and switched off both NAT and DHCP as suggested by MickZA and hey prestor, the router is a glorified access point now. I can still access the Huawei 3g router menu as well.

Last edited:

Sysem

Expert Member
Also if it is possible, on the same router do switch off NAT.

I have a similar setup.

I have a Huawei 3G Modem (B683). Unknown to me, one cannot change power output of the wifi signal. This power setting is important to me as I have noticed if I reduce it to 25 % I get less interference issues.

Anyway, i connected a second router (Intellinet Wireless 300N 3G) and switched off both NAT and DHCP as suggested by MickZA and hey prestor, the router is a glorified access point now. I can still access the Huawei 3g router menu as well.
Brilliant. Thanks guys. While I have you all here - why can I only access one routers config page at a time? If I'm connected to the Billion router and I enter 10.0.0.1 - I get the Telkom router (as I should) - however, I can't access 192.168.1.254. If I get it setup properly, would I be able to do this?

deepdiver

Have you tried updating the firmware also?

Aah just read the other posts...

from your last port though.. are the routers all not on the same subnet.
ie 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.168.1.254?

Last edited:

qDot

Expert Member
Your router was probably ( i am not sure of my story here) assigned an ip address by the Telkom router already. How ever you can probably assign a specific ip address address on your Billion. I too have a billion however it is at home and I cannot verify this.

I wonder though why would you want to access the Billion router menu in your current setup ?

Sysem

Expert Member
I wonder though why would you want to access the Billion router menu in your current setup ?
Both Billion routers are in bedrooms - having to go into their room, connect directly via LAN is a mission and intrusive. It would be convenient doing all this remotely over WiFi

Sysem

Expert Member
Have you tried updating the firmware also?

Aah just read the other posts...

from your last port though.. are the routers all not on the same subnet.
ie 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.168.1.254?
As I said, I changed no settings - I just connected them straight up. So I have no idea what the routers subnet are set to. Will all be default.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
What MickZA said.

That said, TP-Link routers are cheap (under R500) and work fine.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
As I said, I changed no settings - I just connected them straight up. So I have no idea what the routers subnet are set to. Will all be default.
That is probably the problem.

Your two Billion Routers must be on the same IP Range as the Telkom one - i.e.

Should look something like this: (I am assuming Telkom is on 10.0.0.1)

Telkom router: IP = 10.0.0.1

Billion 1 - Set IP of Router to: 10.0.0.50
Billion 2 - Set IP of Router to: 10.0.0.100

Everything should now work.

Sysem

Expert Member
Brilliant! All seems good at the moment. @AfricanTech - I can now access all 3 routers from one spot which is awesome. Hopefully when everyone is here, it should be flawless.

Thanks guys.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
Seems like you have got eeverying sorted now.
So I don't think that I can add anything to this other than a summary should anyone else have a similar problem.
You only want to have one DHCP
Make sure everyone is on the same subnet
For the WiFi make sure they have the same SSID but that the channels are 4 channels apart.

Good luck

Tim