Android Auto (Google Assistant) vs Apple Carplay (Siri)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Wait wait wait.

They want R3000 to enable it on a system that is already installed?

Or is it R3000 for the system itself if you don’t have it already?

Sumen

Expert Member
Wait wait wait.

They want R3000 to enable it on a system that is already installed?

Or is it R3000 for the system itself if you don’t have it already?
It includes the parts as well, you need a faster usb port to use AA or CP.

Ecco

Executive Member
Really nice from Mazda. I am disappointed that other manufacturers dont offer this kind of thing. Sure some models are just too old, but there are some where a small update will enable the use of this feature.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Really nice from Mazda. I am disappointed that other manufacturers dont offer this kind of thing. Sure some models are just too old, but there are some where a small update will enable the use of this feature.
Good guy Mazda allows this retrofit from any Mazda running the MZD infotainment system (basically 2014+ cars onwards). No other manufacturer is doing this any close to that far back.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Waze navigation now works with CarPlay

Waze for iPhone finally works with Apple CarPlay on iOS 12. The latest update to Waze lets you use the smart navigation app on the built-in screen in your car with CarPlay support. Waze on CarPlay includes voice search, reporting issues for other drivers, and more.
I have just started using waze on CarPlay last week. Though, I can't seem to report certain things - like potholes. Seems like all the functionality is not available yet. But at least it is usable. Still think Apple Maps is probably the best one still on CarPlay.

Ecco

Executive Member
Good guy Mazda allows this retrofit from any Mazda running the MZD infotainment system (basically 2014+ cars onwards). No other manufacturer is doing this any close to that far back.
Exactly, no other manufacturer offering something like this. Its not like i am expecting this for free. Happy to pay a little to have a system which is useful and aids my driving.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have just started using waze on CarPlay last week. Though, I can't seem to report certain things - like potholes. Seems like all the functionality is not available yet. But at least it is usable. Still think Apple Maps is probably the best one still on CarPlay.
Google maps works well.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Google maps works well.
Sure it does. The only reason I am on waze currently is because it is rainy season here and the low water bridge gets closed quite often. Waze works the best for it currently. But normally I prefer Apple Maps over Waze/Google maps

Awesum

Expert Member
Waze > Google Maps > Apple Maps.

All features of Waze works on Android auto.

Last edited:

Inviter

Is there any way to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play working on an 2014 Audi A4?

Awesum

Expert Member
Is there any way to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play working on an 2014 Audi A4?
I doubt it. Audi/VW were still struggling to get it working back then. It mostly worked perfectly with cars that came with Nav.
From late 2015 they got it sorted.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hands-on: Wireless CarPlay. Pioneer’s W8400NEX head unit - 9to5Mac

beans100

Honorary Master
If you have an Android phone and phone vent mount, you can install Android Auto on the phone and use it in the car. Maybe even install AA on an old tablet and permanently mount the tablet.
I'm using my 6.4" Mi Max 2, coupled with a Roidmi 3S to get the music on the old radio, works a charm.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Waze > Google Maps > Apple Maps.

All features of Waze works on Android auto.
On Carplay I would put Waze pretty much last. All the reporting isn't there yet. The things I like about Waze isn't there yet, like your current speed. As far as I could try I couldn't let it just show me the path without wanting to say things the whole time messing up my whole Audible/Audiobook experience.

I would actually go Apple Maps > Google Maps > Waze.

Even the normal apps I would go that way, maybe Google Maps > Apple Maps > Waze. Waze's interface is way to busy. But to each his own I guess, variety is the spice of life.

Awesum

Expert Member
On Carplay I would put Waze pretty much last. All the reporting isn't there yet. The things I like about Waze isn't there yet, like your current speed. As far as I could try I couldn't let it just show me the path without wanting to say things the whole time messing up my whole Audible/Audiobook experience.

I would actually go Apple Maps > Google Maps > Waze.

Even the normal apps I would go that way, maybe Google Maps > Apple Maps > Waze. Waze's interface is way to busy. But to each his own I guess, variety is the spice of life.
Yeah I agree, Waze on iOS is kak. It doesn't suffer with those problems on Android.