Android Useful Apps

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Which file manager is good and easy to use.
In my opinion, nothing comes close to Solid Explorer. I paid like R10 to unlock the pro version as an in-app purchase once ages ago. Simple, functional, supports everything (cloud drives, network drives etc).

Security

avast! Mobile SecurityFree Antivirus/SMS&Call Filtering/Web Shield/Firewall/Anti-Theft
Lookout AntiVirus/Back-up/phone location
AVG Free AntiVirus/Back-up/phone location
SeekDroid Locate and remote Wipe
Theft Aware Locate and remote Wipe (Needs Root)
Comodo Mobile Security Antivirus/privacy protector/call-blocker/process manager
Where's My Droid - Lost your phone? Sms from another phone and find it.

Communication

GO SMS Pro Text/SMS replacement
Whatsapp Text/SMS replacement
ChatOn Text/SMS replacement
Skype Text/Voice and Video chat
Viber VoIP and SMS replacement
IM+ All in one Instant messenger
Tapatalk Forum App Forum app with MyBB support

Data Management

3G watchdog Data Alert
My Data Manager App breakdown and alert
Onavo Data Plan management + app control light firewall
Droidwall Firewall (Needs Root)

Power management

Data on demand Disables data radio when phones sleeps
Juice Defender Polls data radio and schedule nighttime's so your phone dont waste power while you sleep.
Watchdog Task Manager unlike other useless task managers this one is based on CPU usage with alert/kill settings.
PowerTutor Display in mW how much power each application use, Find the drain

Backup

Full:
* Titanium Backup Allows for full phone back-up and simply the best (Needs Root)
MyBackup Root Simple full backup (Needs Root)

Other:
* Call Logs Backup & Restore
* SMS Backup & Restore Or
SMS Backup & Restore from INFOLIFE LLC
Backup Contacts Simple Contact back-up to dropbox or CVS file.
My Sync Center Automatically copy data from SD card to PC. Android WiFi sync+backup that can be scheduled to make copies of selected folders
My Sync Center Free Same as above but with a 25 file limit so if you only doing selective folders/files should do the job.

Applications:
App Backup & Restore
File managers like Astro and ES File Explorer does the normal APK back-up to your SD card. I would normally advise just re-installing applications from the market to be able to see updates, that said, having an old copy is sometimes useful when developers break functionality during an update.
Thanks for sharing very useful software. Keep up your good work!

maumau

Honorary Master
Samsung Sound Assistant. Works with netflix, youtube, etc by means of a small on screen button. Touch the button and a volume slider appears.

isie

Honorary Master

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

isie

Honorary Master
I do t have any of those issues they are referring too and I have had it since way back when. This article, even though its old quite surprises me.
Maybe they fixed the issue - but guess i lost faith after that happened -
I had to remove it from a few friends phones at the time due to the issues mentioned in the article.

A more recent Article with a comparison of the 2 -
https://www.guidingtech.com/es-file-explorer-vs-google-files-go/

Note the adds are still a bit of an issue on ES

5. PREMIUM OR FREE
ES File Explorer has become more aggressive with ads inside the app in the last couple of years. It does get annoying. However, you can pay a monthly subscription (starting $0.99 per month) to remove ads and unlock additional features like themes, SMB 2.0, and access hidden files.

isie

Honorary Master
I installed it this morning, this afternoon tried to make calls, phone would not make calls. restart and then power down /up. no joy. Then uninstall truecaller, phone good again. [nokia 7 plus].
very odd . never had any issue like that
google has its own caller ID not as vast database as truecaller but it works , it's a available on Nokia's if you want to try it just check the call settings for caller ID and spam