Android vs iOS vs BlackBerry: Gartner quarterly stats

chris_meier

what would be more interesting to see I reckon is to see a comparison of the avg phone bill data/voice/sms compared between ios/android/blackberry smartphones...

Some insight into what you were looking for, although this only applies to data, and iOS/Android

But when it comes to what people actually do with those phones, studies show an unintuitive result: iOS users simply use their devices more. They surf the Web more. They buy more apps, and developers write more apps for them. They generate more advertising revenue per person. They spend more on e-commerce sites.

They even watch more video, which must be frustrating for Google, considering that it owns YouTube and has heavily backed Android in part to contest Apple's mobile hegemony.

Apple's mobile devices—iPhones, iPads, and iPods—accounted for 60 percent of non-PC video views in the third quarter, according to FreeWheel. Android devices had 30 percent. While Android viewing is growing fast and starting to catch up, it's far behind what you'd expect from Android's device market share.

Some of these problems seem fixable. Google was smart to roll up its Android Market app store and its other content-purchase services into Google Play. Now it needs to stop tinkering with Google Wallet's wireless-payment features and figure out how to make the online-purchasing experience as good as possible.

But content purchasing is one thing. The gap in content consumption—especially the free, advertising-supported kind, where Google thrives—is more worrisome. That speaks to some ineffable human factor that Google's algorithms, for all their mechanistic glory, just can't get right.

Source

system32

Executive Member
Some insight into what you were looking for, although this only applies to data, and iOS/Android
SNIP

Gartner recently released its latest worldwide mobile phone sales figures, showing that Android has extended its lead in the global smartphone operating system market.

The key term is WORLDWIDE.
Many of the tech blog sites are limited fanboi opinions of what happens in the USA (eg. World Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series )

chris_meier

The key term is WORLDWIDE.
Many of the tech blog sites are limited fanboi opinions of what happens in the USA (eg. World Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series )

And my key term would be SOME INSIGHT!

And if you had bothered to read the actual source you would have seen it was based on research done by FreeWheel, not some "limited fanboi opinion". Based on primarily US data, yes, but then again SOME INSIGHT.

The video-viewing data comes from a new study by FreeWheel, a company which manages video ads for its customers and has examined billions of video ad impressions across its network. (Its study focused mostly on US viewers, though some non-US viewers were included.)

Obronie

No people, the world is wrong. BB is the future. We see the future here in SA and Nigeria because we can BBM, no other phone can do that. They are all wrong.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
52% to 72% ... wow! 7 out of 10 people use Android.

No they don't. Maths faulty

72% of people IN ONE FINANCIAL QUARTER bought Android
Logically since the % was lower previously and those people still use the phones the % is by defintion lower

Its still impressive.
What I would like to see is Android broken down into
* Premium Phones
* Mid range
* Cheapo

Polymathic

Honorary Master
what is more amazing is that bada is ranked higher than windows phone.

system32

Executive Member
And my key term would be SOME INSIGHT!

And if you had bothered to read the actual source you would have seen it was based on research done by FreeWheel, not some "limited fanboi opinion". Based on primarily US data, yes, but then again SOME INSIGHT.
Its study focused mostly on US viewers, though some non-US viewers were included.
By focusing on USA FreeWheel results are the same as the "World Series".
How about some non-US data, for example China - where Android owns only 90.1% of the market.
http://data.eguan.cn/yidonghulian_147283.html
English Translation for those that can't read Chinese
http://translate.google.com/transla...http://data.eguan.cn/yidonghulian_147283.html

If FreeWheel conducted research in ZA, BB would be king.

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
It may not sit well with many here but Android dominates the smartphone OS space by a substantial margin worldwide (especially outside the US where iPhones are truly a luxury). And it is not because smartphone users are stupid that so many end up with Android. It is because people want FREEDOM to do with THEIR devices what they want how they want. Side-load? No problem. Can I have your files/content? No problem. Attach to computer and it acts exactly like the USB and ext HDD people are already used to. No rules. No imposed/forced limitations. People aren't all geeks but they for sure aren't stupid.

Last edited:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It may not sit well with many here but Android dominates the smartphone OS space by a substantial margin worldwide (especially outside the US where iPhones are truly a luxury). And it is not because smartphone users are stupid that so many end up with Android. It is because people want FREEDOM to do with THEIR devices what they want how they want. Side-load? No problem. Can I have your files/content? No problem. Attach to computer and it acts exactly like the USB and ext HDD people are already used to. No rules. No imposed/forced limitations. People aren't all geeks but they for sure aren't stupid.

What he said

Syphonx

Expert Member
+ 1000

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Doesn't OS X do all that? I might be wrong though.

I own both OS X and Android devices...

Biscuit1018

Expert Member

The sales numbers are undeniable. No argument. The conclusions you draw are very arguable.

The reasons for the choice are far more questionable and you have shown no evidence to show that the above are major influencing factors

- Many people dont even know what O/S they have installed
- Very few people side load
- Its amazing how many acquire almost no apps (this applies to both Android and iOS btw)

You have shown no evidence that the market share has been driven by the desire for freedom.
It may well be one of your determining factors but techs are a tiny, insignificant minority

More major determining factors include
- Price - iPhone is premium as is the S3. There are other premium phones but there are many other cheaper ones that will never, ever see an upgrade
- Range - Android is available on cheaper handsets - Most of you chaps have the premium handsets yet you use the huge purchases of the non-premium devices to back your point. The simple fact is that iOS is only on Apple while Android is looked after by many manufacturers. THat is both a pro and a con for Android
- handset availability - Available everywhere at decent prices
People go into shops and select from what is available.

I would venture that the above are far bigger determining factors than 'freedom'

In short
I do agree that Apple have a few too many rules. I would like the iPhone to be an external HDD from time to time. I also think their UX needs a design refresh without losing there excellent, intuitive feel. Hardware wise, well I wish they would all (in the long term) change to a new connector std that is very thin that allows for plugging in without being conscious of orientation (I hate USB for that reason but its the only game in town). However I want a standard and mini-USB is the one now, as flawed as it is. I have other wishes as well. Screen size - I am on the fence. I have huge hands so I could handle a bigger than 4" screen without using the 2nd hand or repositioning the phone.

I also believe that Android is too free and this contributes to poor upgradeability, app quality and inconsistent UXs
Wrt Samsung S3 - I wish it used stock Android and I dont like the plastic battery cover etc.

What is far more interesting to me in any shoot out is the Premium vs Premium battle.
The Samsung S2/S3/Note vs the iPhone 4S, 5.
I have played with both the S3 and the iPhone 5.Both amazing devices.
iPhone was a major leader but Samsung are now great competitors as much as Apple may not like this.

My point is (and this is not a dig at you but at all the Fanboys or Fandroids) - To stand in one camp and totally run down the other camp without conceding the merits of the other is beyond stupid. In fact it is juvenile and reminds me of "My dad is stronger than your dad" which I hope we all gave up when we were about 10

Last edited:

Sl8er

Executive Member
Screen size - I am on the fence. I have huge hands so I could handle a bigger than 4" screen without using the 2nd hand or repositioning the phone.
I also believe that Android is too free and this contributes to poor upgradeability, app quality and inconsistent UXs
Wrt Samsung S3 - I wish it used stock Android and I dont like the plastic battery cover etc.

What is far more interesting to me in any shoot out is the Premium vs Premium battle.
The Samsung S2/S3/Note vs the iPhone 4S, 5.
I have played with both the S3 and the iPhone 5.Both amazing devices.
iPhone was a major leader but Samsung are now great competitors as much as Apple may not like this.

You just described the Nexus 4 -wrt premium feel, screen size and pure android :)

My point is (and this is not a dig at you but at all the Fanboys or Fandroids) - To stand in one camp and totally run down the other camp without conceding the merits of the other is beyond stupid. In fact it is juvenile and reminds me of "My dad is stronger than your dad" which I hope we all gave up when we were about 10

Totally agree with the above.

apple products are good, no doubt about that. It's their business practices that I have a bit of a problem with. Before we get into the, "they're a business first off" and "samsung/ms/ibm/whoever aren't angels either" points, I can't recall any of the latter companies suing supermarkets or restaurants. (I speak under correction, of course and if I'm wrong, I apologize.)
It's those sorts of "business practices" that irks me. If it wasn't for this, apple products would be a very real option for me -and, honestly, was...until the apple-suing-machine was revolutionized. :p

chris_meier

It's those sorts of "business practices" that irks me.

While I agree that no business is without questionable business practices, to simply rail against Apple because of their "suing machine" is also a bit short-sighted.

Samsung are guilty of very questionable business ethics too, but the West doesn't pay much attention to any stories that do happen to get past Samsung's wall of secrecy (built and maintained by close links to prominent politicians, and significant "control" of South Korean media). At the end of the day they are doing what they think is best in terms of protecting their business, but neither of them is more saintly than the other - if you're going to question and dislike only one, you have to be sure the other is somehow cleaner, which I don't think is the case here.

Samsung: Power, Corruption and Lies

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
You just described the Nexus 4 -wrt premium feel, screen size and pure android :)

Totally agree with the above.

apple products are good, no doubt about that. It's their business practices that I have a bit of a problem with. Before we get into the, "they're a business first off" and "samsung/ms/ibm/whoever aren't angels either" points, I can't recall any of the latter companies suing supermarkets or restaurants. (I speak under correction, of course and if I'm wrong, I apologize.)
It's those sorts of "business practices" that irks me. If it wasn't for this, apple products would be a very real option for me -and, honestly, was...until the apple-suing-machine was revolutionized. :p

Yes the Nexus 4 would be my only Android option I would consider (that I can see).
This would be made easier by the fact that I have no intention of renewing any contract. At the end of my current contract I will be moving to Pre-paid and acquiring a phone overseas (and the Nexus 4 is a very good price).

My decision is complicated by the fact that the family (wife and 2 young kids) uses iPhones, iPads (no thought of changing tablet yet), Apple TVs and iPods.
The ease of being CIO and tech lackey for a single ecosystem influences me.
I also like acquiring content online (video and music) and sending it to my TVs or hiFi

The flip side is my business is invested in Google for business which works fine on iOS but I presume would be better on Android. Having said that we have M/S desktops for the non techs so the choices are not dead easy.

As for the Who sues who
- Well the system is broken. The rules are a mess and US companies all play this game. Motorola (owned by Google) are going after M/S and Apple to name 2 (under wifi and 3G patents).
- Apple are the biggest tech company and the tall tree. Tall trees get the wind and the publicity. When Apple were the underdog they got the sympathy vote. We dont know the extent to which the others protect their brand because it gets less publicity. We do know that IBM, M/S have been vicious in courts and bullying partners when they were the tallest tress.

What seems to have happened is that IP laws changed by the US Congress many years back have had unintended blowback in the courts
- Companies have to defend their IP or lose them
- It leads to silly lawsuits and horse trading

I am hoping that Congress reel it in and clarify the laws.
The system makes lawyers rich and it is really a tax on tech companies.
However to expect the tall tree to put their gun down without the others trading off is not realistic.

Last edited:

chris_meier

- Its amazing how few acquire almost no apps (this applies to both Android and iOS btw)

This is so true - I know quite a few people who use their tablet (Android or iOS) for nothing more than Facebook, Twitter and a bit of Angry Birds. I haven't had a game on either of my devices in over 4 months; I use my devices for reading (books & RSS); research for articles and other bits of writing; writing of articles, etc; Travel related research (for upcoming trips) and a bit of Reddit on the side. My only Social Apps are Facebook and Path, both of which aren't used that often.