Any Centurion gate motor experts?

So is the origin magnet and sensor working fine?
I'll need to check that. I can't answer - but i'm actually thinking the origin magnet might be faulty and the gate is only running off the 2 optical sensor stops?

I'm out of the country again but will be back soon and will check.
 
On a gate motor, specifically Centurion motors, when you have a problem, 95% of the time its the battery
Yeah i'll test this first when i'm back. I just ignored it, I figured if the battery is toast, the system just stops charging it and the DC system diverts power to the gate motor directly.
 
Last edited:
No lol, that's how the system knows where the gate limits are. The PCB decides the direction of the motor.... it's always aware of which direction it's going.
My magnet when we installed it was used to calculate the exact time needed to stop on closing and opening.

But then again, the expits also told me I could not connect a 220V lamp to my motor.

1695026933228.png
 
I'll answer everyone together:

@Rickster I'll check, i didn't look if the rail is clear. However i have opened it while standing by it and didn't hear any banging, scraping or anything. but i'll double check.

@Gordon_R Hmm ok so this answers my question about how the gate's positional markers are just metal welded on the gate about 10cm long towards either side. I imagine they are detected by the optical sensor? I will have to check. I am a bit DIYish but i have been known to set a few things on fire so i'll tread carefully when i check :) Also see my reply at the end...

@ikpat I have one of those too - so see below cause my answer with @Gordon_R might apply here ...

@Mzezman That battery was part of 3 others i bought for a friend. Both his 2 died after 1 year in an alarm, s i'm thinking possibly this one is toast too...

Ok so about the sensors.

I did do the following, i don't know if its an RTFM issue or not:

1. When it happened the first time, I had unlocked the clutch and the gate was open. I re-engaged the clutch and did a "Setup Wizard". It tried rolling the gate forward and back and ended with "Collision Detected."
2. It did the issue a few times.
3. I then unlocked the clutch and CLOSED the gate, re-engaged the clutch and re-ran the "Setup Wizard" and it opened and closed, then open and closed again and said "Complete".

It then worked fine for 4 days until it began its original issue about again...
Not sure if this info gives you anything more to go on?


I had the exact same issue as above , what i did was put a small block of wood before the end stop and ran the setup wizard again.
It has been working fine ever since.
 
My magnet when we installed it was used to calculate the exact time needed to stop on closing and opening.

But then again, the expits also told me I could not connect a 220V lamp to my motor.
doesnt your motor control board have a dedicated output for a lamp .some have with a delay off function so the lamp is still on for a few seconds after closing
 
doesnt your motor control board have a dedicated output for a lamp .some have with a delay off function so the lamp is still on for a few seconds after closing
Jip, installers in Kempton said no.

So we did the install ourselves.

This was way back when the motor with battery and steel thing costs came to R3600
 
Jip, installers in Kempton said no.

So we did the install ourselves.

This was way back when the motor with battery and steel thing costs came to R3600
they probably said no because it may interfere with the torque sensor .that you could overcome by turning the torque up .if you do start picking up issues a relay would sort that out .
 
So I sent a family member out side to record the gate's "bouncing back" and opening fully then closing a bit - (but it doesn't hit anything) and of course now its working 100%... :rolleyes:
I'll have to wait till it back to its tricks..
 
they probably said no because it may interfere with the torque sensor .that you could overcome by turning the torque up .if you do start picking up issues a relay would sort that out .
I think it was 2 of these these 2:

1. They didn't know their product.
2. Because the motor wasn't bought through them, they didn't want to do the install.
 
So I sent a family member out side to record the gate's "bouncing back" and opening fully then closing a bit - (but it doesn't hit anything) and of course now its working 100%... :rolleyes:
I'll have to wait till it back to its tricks..

Its the battery. Even if you are on a inverter, if its a SLA, its possibly poked after 2 years. This behavior was absolutely common with my Evo and SLA, even with a battery that was a few months old. That motor has a pretty decent start kick so and if the battery can't sustain the output current, it seems to starve the board and quite often resulted in bad stops or just in motion shutdown.

Also if your gate is on a "plug circuit" ( mine runs into my garage ), never put it past someone turning it off for a while to use the socket for something else.

I think it was 2 of these these 2:

1. They didn't know their product.
2. Because the motor wasn't bought through them, they didn't want to do the install.
There is a dedicated port for the lamp if you want it linked to the controller. Heck if people want to be fussy and just power a lamp on a pole with a day night bulb, take it from the input.
 
What I find bizarre is that my motor beeps occasionally when using it. At first I thought battery was ageing so I swapped it out with a brand new one and caught the gate beeping again the other day. I'm on inverter so it's not a power issue and the battery should be charged almost perpetually.
 
What I find bizarre is that my motor beeps occasionally when using it. At first I thought battery was ageing so I swapped it out with a brand new one and caught the gate beeping again the other day. I'm on inverter so it's not a power issue and the battery should be charged almost perpetually.
Low current throughput. It may beep once when running to start but if its three beeps etc., it means its not getting enough power and complaining.

Try this, unplug it and run it for three or four gate operations and see what happens. Good battery should handle that fine.
 
Low current throughput. It may beep once when running to start but if its three beeps etc., it means its not getting enough power and complaining.

Try this, unplug it and run it for three or four gate operations and see what happens. Good battery should handle that fine.
Will try...
 
Low current throughput. It may beep once when running to start but if its three beeps etc., it means its not getting enough power and complaining.

Try this, unplug it and run it for three or four gate operations and see what happens. Good battery should handle that fine.
It opens and closes repeatedly fine. It started beeping after turning the mains power off, but stopped when I turned it back on. The battery I have is supposedly designed for gate motors, but I suspect it's a bit light on the current rating. I see centurion branded batteries can handle 2.1a initial current.
 
It opens and closes repeatedly fine. It started beeping after turning the mains power off, but stopped when I turned it back on. The battery I have is supposedly designed for gate motors, but I suspect it's a bit light on the watt rating.
SLA or Lithium? Lithium's do not like the high sustained current output and if you replaced your SLA with it, you need one with a higher constant discharge than the one sold as a alarm replacement.
 
SLA or Lithium? Lithium's do not like the high sustained current output and if you replaced your SLA with it, you need one with a higher constant discharge than the one sold as a alarm replacement.
SLA. I can't see myself buying a lithium drop-in replacement given that its virtually never going to be operated without mains.
 
Ok so an update:

1. Checked origin magnet and it’s fine - the gate registers it in motion and says left side or right side etc
2. Checked battery and it’s 13.2v and when gate is running it dropped to 12.4V
3. Out of testing about 20 open closes it failed once and I noticed as it failed the display on the controller quickly said “Gate Stalled” with an exclamation mark and immediately pulled it back. But then worked fine.
4. I noticed the gate speed is set to Max. I turned it 2 points down to 22 for open and closing and it’s a lot smoother especially when you cross the centurion wireless beams I installed - it doesn’t stop and start with an aggressive abruptness.

Still don’t know what sometimes causes it to open and then bounce back and close a little. But it’s rare too…
 
@neoprema if you still need someone, let me know. I have a very old Centurion motor and they were able to fix it when others could not. So I would venture they know their stuff.

Actually putting it here for whoever needs
Gate Boys - their name - don't blame me
0797595996
 
@neoprema if you still need someone, let me know. I have a very old Centurion motor and they were able to fix it when others could not. So I would venture they know their stuff.
Which part of the country?

Also I noticed on closing the motor sound has a slight grating noise to it - or roughness. Weird.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X