Apple AirPods Max review

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Apple AirPods Max — The best headphones I have ever used

The only way to explain how amazing the Apple AirPods Max headphones are is to compare them to the Morty’s Mind Blowers episode of Rick and Morty.

Morty is using a spirit level to ensure a shelf is straight, which Rick tells him is pathetic — and offers to show him what “true level” is.

Rick smooths out a section of the garage floor with a range of tools and laser goggles and invites Morty to stand on it.

When Morty stands on the newly-levelled ground, he is ravished by the experience. When he steps off onto “normal” ground, he instantly loses his mind and must have his memory erased to forget the ecstasy of the perfectly level floor.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
The problem with this review is it needs context.
I mean, if you're coming off this then I can understand....

1625832798260.png

Nice to know though, seems most reviews on these are favourable.
...but R11K... eish...
Save a bit more and you're almost in 2nd hand HD800 territory so portability and noise-cancelling had better be a huge priority.

CommonSense

View attachment 1104301

Nice to know though, seems most reviews on these are favourable.
...but R11K... eish...
Save a bit more and you're almost in 2nd hand HD800 territory so portability and noise-cancelling had better be a huge priority.
:p
... that, or if one only ever used Apple earphones your whole life.

homeboy

This how I described my first skullcandy lowrider. Would be nice if I can compare the two.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Well considering the top of the range Bose headphones go for R10k and Sony's about R7k, I don't think Apple pulled this price tag out of it's arse.
It's expensive, but they sure have a market for it.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I can confidentially inform you that the reviewer used Sennheiser HD450 headphones previously. So not a completely fair comparison, but he was used to good sound before.

Reactions: Jan

Deandbn

This is quite a subjective statement. Who are you, and what experience do you have in headphone listening?

I think the audio technica ATH3 I heard first 45 years ago are the best.. Maybe you could compare them for me.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
People do need to realise that the real magic within these headphones are the technologically advanced DSP. It won’t replace AMPs/DACs or DAC-AMPs any time soon, but it shows how much extra potential can be achieved with digital processing.

Please, sound signatures, some people may have a better listening experience with an R1 000 headphones than an R11 000 headphones. No person interpreter sound the same.

Nonetheless, these headphones are a technological marvel and with direct Dolby integration it will go a long way. Firmware updates will keep it relevant.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to put it out there, DSP is coming to cheaper headphones/headsets. DSP is already used in 'gaming' headsets, but the implementation in most cases are poor due to it enhancing 'gaming elements' by design, so it doesn't technically cater to general use.

Apple also didn’t break any ground here. Audeze beat them a long time ago already, but Audeze lacks Dolby integration, which is odd, as it has long been requested. Maybe Apple has something to do with this :whistling: but who knows...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is quite a subjective statement. Who are you, and what experience do you have in headphone listening?

I think the audio technica ATH3 I heard first 45 years ago are the best.. Maybe you could compare them for me.

Those are stereo headphones, no?