Apple says never worked with NSA on iPhone hacks

mercurial

MyBB Legend
The NSA allege that they've been hacking iPhones since 2008. There are several articles on it.

Last edited:

Peon

Expert Member
Lie
noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood. Synonyms: prevarication, falsification. Antonyms: truth.
something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.
the charge or accusation of telling a lie: He flung the lie back at his accusers.
verb (used without object), lied, ly·ing.
to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive. Synonyms: prevaricate, fib.
to express what is false; convey a false impression.

Executive Member
Lie
noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood. Synonyms: prevarication, falsification. Antonyms: truth.
something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.
the charge or accusation of telling a lie: He flung the lie back at his accusers.
verb (used without object), lied, ly·ing.
to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive. Synonyms: prevaricate, fib.
to express what is false; convey a false impression.

He's not lying.

“Apple has never worked with the NSA to create a backdoor in any of our products, including iPhone."

Translation: We didn't put any money into creating the app - that was all developed by NSA, although we gave API calls and access on our own devices to enable them to do so.

"Additionally, we have been unaware of this alleged NSA program targeting our products,” the company said in a statement."

Translation: However, we are aware of other NSA programs on our devices.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
It's probable that the NSA relied on similar exploits to that of the JB teams; but then considering their might, they probably had access to many more, indicative of their confidence portrayed in the documents.

Apple naturally like any corporate will never admit to anything like this; however like any corporate decisions are typically weighed by the risks vs. rewards, and considering the damage ambit alone, it's highly unlikely that they or any other corporate would choose to be complicit.

This problem in either case is not Apple focused, but rather a general compromise across the entire technology sector -- we certainly don't know at this stage who to trust.

More popcorn anyone?

Last edited:

[)roi(]

Executive Member
You've got to wonder why Apple can't stop JB'ing ...
Have you ever been able to write bug free code, or for that matter has anyone?

I'd certainly expect this would change their general approach to security; for that matter I expect the entire industry to react accordingly.

Last edited:

biometrics

Honorary Master
[)roi(];11819524 said:
Have you ever been able to write bug free code, or for that matter has anyone?
I have a pretty low bug count actually.

With the resources Apple has and the fact it's built on Unix and the time they've had available ... makes you wonder.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
I have a pretty low bug count actually.

With the resources Apple has and the fact it's built on Unix and the time they've had available ... makes you wonder.
According to who; you certainly don't have multiple teams of highly skilled hackers trolling through your app looking for every kink in it's armor.

Apple's situation is no dissimilar to the path taken by Microsoft with Windows; Apple's security efforts have been proportional to the deemed level of threat (with a bit of Unix complacency thrown in for measure).

Microsoft certainly had no recourse but to make security a priority...

Just remember, nothing is infallible -- the NSA documents alone are indicative of this. For example: what prevented the NSA from injecting an exploitable fault into the ARM architecture? When you consider they've had no problem doing it across with many other standards.

Remember what you don't know about never concerns you, meaning Apple probably never examined many areas where exploit vectors could be hidden.

This is very likely the turning point for Apple -- people are certainly going to expect it.

Plus I'm sure you seen many recent reports about the fallibility of the compilers we use; I now wondering about the exploitability of these.

Last edited:

Ricard

Expert Member
Thats why the iPhone/iPads are banned in top secret Govt meetings... Even the British govt has banned the iPad(perhaps iPhone) from Parlamentary sessions.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Thats why the iPhone/iPads are banned in top secret Govt meetings... Even the British govt has banned the iPad(perhaps iPhone) from Parlamentary sessions.
... but it's also probable that the underlying reasons are even more simplistic; i.e. these types of devices can for example: record the conversation, take photos, ...

vinodh

Expert Member
Maybe we should ask the NSA for help with jailbreaking the Apple TV3...

sajunky

Honorary Master
[)roi(];11819488 said:
This problem in either case is not Apple focused, but rather a general compromise across the entire technology sector -- we certainly don't know at this stage who to trust.
I agree to this point. However we know lot of details of industry standards and embedded mechanism to intercept communication by example in GSM networks. This is not secret and it is even one of requirements imposed by many governments including SA. Scary enough... I don't need sensations like this. Corrupt government is more concern, as they spy on you all the time.

Last edited:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Yes, yes. I'm waiting for the Oracle backdoor scandal to hit.
C'mon. Tell me you don't expect that?

marine1

Honorary Master
And you wonder why Obama isn't allowed to use an apple?