Apple shares in decline

HBee

Expert Member
It would be nice to have something to hold him to, but as soon as they announce positive next quarterly results he'll just go off on a rant about iSheep.

Have no fear, I'll be around to congratulate you on the 5% chance of this happening.
I am missing all the fanfare that normally accompanies the release of a new iphone for a few months. I must have missed the long lines of people braving the weather and standing for days to get their ipad mini. Somehow I don't think i missed it, it never happened. I think a lot of investors are missing the constant hot air articles as well.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
You mean that they've been expecting radical new products from Apple on a regular basis and now they aren't seeing it, they're cooling down? It's certainly a possibility, in fact it's probably quite true.

More or less, yes.

What I'd say is that I'm not sure Apple HAS another big thing; perhaps there is not one in sight for another 5 years until miniaturization or some new control paradigm opens up a new device form - perhaps these touchscreen windows that Microsoft loves showing off in demos. I think the iPad is the realization of their vision of what technology should be, and what's left for them is to refine and improve that form factor. Can we say the tablet market has consummated, peaked? I don't think it's even begun to crawl yet. Look at what apps like Paper are doing to bring natural colour mixing pallets to the touchscreen.

Definitely agree with this. And with Windows 8 and Android 4.2 and beyond, we have barely scratched the potential and level of differentiation that is possible with a tablet.

I think that Apple does have the next big thing, but we just can't see how it could be just yet. That is one thing I admire about Apple and the products that they offer- the most retrospectively useful and excellent concatenation of ideas into a device, sometimes almost to the point of obviousness.

Apple's strategy is to take a single idea and enlarge it, or miniaturize it organically; until they fill every niche of form where you could conceivably fit an Apple device. That's already been accomplished. iPad Mini is a refinement of the basic iPad concept for singlehanded use. Upwards from iPad you've outgrown tablet size; so the Macbook Air 11" starts to take over that space. And below the iPhone you've got the lower limit of any possible device, the iPod Shuffle.

Something that Google has, to an extent, mimicked with their Nexus range. It will be very interesting to see if Google follows Apple completely on this one- having the consumer create a lifestyle centered around the product. I would think that Google would do the opposite.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Have no fear, I'll be around to congratulate you on the 5% chance of this happening.
I am missing all the fanfare that normally accompanies the release of a new iphone for a few months. I must have missed the long lines of people braving the weather and standing for days to get their ipad mini. Somehow I don't think i missed it, it never happened. I think a lot of investors are missing the constant hot air articles as well.

5 million iPhone5's on the first weekend and present 2-week ship time finally beginning to get supply up to the level of demand thanks to the difficulty of production at Foxconn. 3 million iPads sold in 3 days since launch of iPad Mini. So far demand is looking quite strong.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
Money has been flowing back into stocks for 3 days now. As a result Apple went up 7% yesterday.

Last edited:

Priapus

Executive Member
Money has been flowing back into stocks for 3 days now. As a result Apple went up 7% yesterday.

And as with most stock prices, they fluctuate a lot. I hope Apple does not find it self in the same position it was in 1998 (Pre-iMac and Job's area) where they almost closed their doors.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
And as with most stock prices, they fluctuate a lot. I hope Apple does not find it self in the same position it was in 1998 (Pre-iMac and Job's area) where they almost closed their doors.

It won't happen, they are still a better run company than pretty much anything out there.

And there is also that not so small matter of having a $100 billion pile of cash which is growing every day.

zippy

Honorary Master
Most of the US "blue chip" shares have lost value. More to do with the fact that US investors are facing an increase capital gains tax, so there is some selling to take in profits now.

Now is the time buy apple shares, according to some.

Priapus

Executive Member
It won't happen, they are still a better run company than pretty much anything out there.

And there is also that not so small matter of having a $100 billion pile of cash which is growing every day.

This is true, they have a massive amount of cash available to them. However, their next big project like the "Space Campus" will take a lot of their cash.

I just hope their new products continue to be as fantastic as the last few products - iPads, etc.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
This is true, they have a massive amount of cash available to them. However, their next big project like the "Space Campus" will take a lot of their cash.

I just hope their new products continue to be as fantastic as the last few products - iPads, etc.

The key to their success is having a small product range all finely crafted with lots of attention given to design. Even though it's a rarity in the PC industry, design and attention to detail exist in other industries quite successfully. What they do isn't some magic trick relying on an elusive cocktail which isn't really understood or quantifiable, it something done time and time again by architects, car designers, watch designers, artists, interior designers, etc, the world over.

It's not so much that Apple is great, it's just that everyone else is so damn lazy when it comes to basic design. As long as Apple continues to really care about what they produce they will get it right more often than not, which means they will always have a place because people love quality and great design. Even if they shrunk down to half the size they are now it wouldn't stop them from doing what they do.

Priapus

Executive Member
The key to their success is having a small product range all finely crafted with lots of attention given to design. Even though it's a rarity in the PC industry, design and attention to detail exist in other industries quite successfully. What they do isn't some magic trick relying on an elusive cocktail which isn't really understood or quantifiable, it something done time and time again by architects, car designers, watch designers, artists, interior designers, etc, the world over.

It's not so much that Apple is great, it's just that everyone else is so damn lazy when it comes to basic design. As long as Apple continues to really care about what they produce they will get it right more often than not, which means they will always have a place because people love quality and great design. Even if they shrunk down to half the size they are now it wouldn't stop them from doing what they do.

You make an excellent point. I love the feel and build quality of my iPhone and iPad and even my MacBook. I love the fact that Apple took their time, to design it and make it as best as they could. Not just half-assed like other companies do, with cheap plastics and crappy designs.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Apple's profit vs everyone else.

iPhone overtakes Android in marketshare in the US.

That second link is quite shocking to me. I never thought iOS would actually be able to overtake Android on a sheer marketshare basis. Of course America tends to be more Apple-centric than other markets but still it's a major surprise. Seems iPhone5 is doing gangbusters for them.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member

That second link is quite shocking to me. I never thought iOS would actually be able to overtake Android on a sheer marketshare basis. Of course America tends to be more Apple-centric than other markets but still it's a major surprise. Seems iPhone5 is doing gangbusters for them.

It makes you wonder what will happen when they make a substantial update to IOS and release a redesigned iphone(a totally new look). Already manufacturing them fast enough is their biggest problem.

cerebus

Honorary Master
It makes you wonder what will happen when they make a substantial update to IOS and release a redesigned iphone(a totally new look). Already manufacturing them fast enough is their biggest problem.

I kind of don't think they'll EVER release a redesigned iPhone in that sense you mean. It's a branding thing. iPhone5 is actually a completely different manufacturing process and everything, but they maintained the same style elements. I think they consider recognisability to be a key feature of the iPhone brand, which is why they went so hard after Samsung. Who's to say people would be lining up for something that was so different in any case? People have no problem with buying better, prettier, faster versions of the same thing they've been using and trusted for the past couple of years.

ClintZA

Banned

Is that second link not an example of statistics saying whatever you'd like them to? No doubt the sales in the US have been good but why pick specific periods like 12 weeks? And the 12 weeks just after Apple launched a new phone. Of course sales will be good at that time. And what new flagship Android was released in that time.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Is that second link not an example of statistics saying whatever you'd like them to? No doubt the sales in the US have been good but why pick specific periods like 12 weeks? And the 12 weeks just after Apple launched a new phone. Of course sales will be good at that time. And what new flagship Android was released in that time.

12 weeks is a quarter. That's how financial results are done.

ClintZA

Banned
12 weeks is a quarter. That's how financial results are done.

...and annually and semi-annually. Point is that you can pick out a certain period over which one OS will look better than another based on sales. Especially if that period just happens to be right after the launch of a new device. And even more so when that launched device is the only one sporting that OS.

cerebus

Honorary Master
...and annually and semi-annually. Point is that you can pick out a certain period over which one OS will look better than another based on sales. Especially if that period just happens to be right after the launch of a new device. And even more so when that launched device is the only one sporting that OS.

Ok no you're right it's a conspiracy and Reuters is biased.