Apple shares in decline

cerebus

Honorary Master
Oh my word, iFans always need to take things to the extreme when their precious device is questioned in any way...

Seems to me that you're the one taking things to an extreme... accusing Reuters of distorting numbers to make it appear that Apple is doing better than they are in reality. How many negative articles have they posted about Apple in the recent past? I can think of a good number off the top of my head. But here's something good and no wait it's selective bias.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I kind of don't think they'll EVER release a redesigned iPhone in that sense you mean. It's a branding thing. iPhone5 is actually a completely different manufacturing process and everything, but they maintained the same style elements. I think they consider recognisability to be a key feature of the iPhone brand, which is why they went so hard after Samsung. Who's to say people would be lining up for something that was so different in any case? People have no problem with buying better, prettier, faster versions of the same thing they've been using and trusted for the past couple of years.

Unlike everyone else, Apple are treating the iphone just like they treat all their larger computers. They create an iconic well thought out design and mainly focus on internal upgrades along the way, with a major change in appearance only every 3 - 4 years or so. I've felt for some time now they are essentially ahead of the game on this. I suspect other manufactures might find themselves doing something similar(the upper end of the market expecting great design) once all the low hanging technological fruit has been plucked.

Last edited:

ClintZA

Banned
Seems to me that you're the one taking things to an extreme... accusing Reuters of distorting numbers to make it appear that Apple is doing better than they are in reality. How many negative articles have they posted about Apple in the recent past? I can think of a good number off the top of my head. But here's something good and no wait it's selective bias.

There we go again!

I never said they distorted numbers at all (which seems to imply a little crookery). I did, however, point out a generally accepted fact that you can make numbers say pretty much whatever you want them to. Take a one year period and it might show something totally different to a 12 week period.

I'm sorry to admit that I do not sit eagerly awaiting every bit of news released regarding Apple (I do not have nearly enough fanaticism for any one device to do so) so I cannot comment on how many positive or negative articles have been published about them. Thanks to you I do get some exposure though via you sharing on here. Maybe you need to share more of those negative articles in future so we can all get a fair reflection...

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
ClintZA is a contrarian. It doesn't matter the subject or the thread. :D

Reminds me of Lancelot. ;)

ClintZA

Banned
ClintZA is a contrarian. It doesn't matter the subject or the thread. :D

Reminds me of Lancelot. ;)

Clearly it is only threads where you take a contradictory view to mine that you take notice as I have found myself agreeing with what is said on a number of occasions.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
Clearly it is only threads where you take a contradictory view to mine that you take notice as I have found myself agreeing with what is said on a number of occasions.

I didn't mean it as an insult. :)

cerebus

Honorary Master
There we go again!

I never said they distorted numbers at all (which seems to imply a little crookery). I did, however, point out a generally accepted fact that you can make numbers say pretty much whatever you want them to. Take a one year period and it might show something totally different to a 12 week period.

I don't think it's really showing anything, it's just surprising to me to see Apple coming out in marketshare over ANY period over Android. I've not seen that happen for a couple of years now and I did not expect it to happen again; the tide had seemed to settle convincingly towards Android from a volume standpoint. And it's a fairly good counterpoint to the argument that Apple is slipping in terms of consumer appeal and sales.

/snip the rest

MattyW

I don't think it's really showing anything, it's just surprising to me to see Apple coming out in marketshare over ANY period over Android. I've not seen that happen for a couple of years now and I did not expect it to happen again; the tide had seemed to settle convincingly towards Android from a volume standpoint. And it's a fairly good counterpoint to the argument that Apple is slipping in terms of consumer appeal and sales.

Really??

From your link...

Apple's U.S. share of smartphone sales in the 12 weeks to October 31 more than doubled from a year ago to 48.1 percent, putting it within reach of the record 49.3 percent it managed in early 2012.

9 months ago, just after the release of the 4s is years now??

cerebus

Honorary Master
Really??

From your link...

9 months ago, just after the release of the 4s is years now??
Huh that's true. Those numbers are confusing. Doubled from a year ago to 48% but not at early 2012 levels? So.... what happened there? The 4S launched and market share went up in 2012 then down again as Android phones took a lead on sales?

MattyW

Huh that's true. Those numbers are confusing. Doubled from a year ago to 48% but not at early 2012 levels? So.... what happened there? The 4S launched and market share went up in 2012 then down again as Android phones took a lead on sales?

Yeah I find it strange as well and the wording of the Reuters article is a bit weird as well. Seems through {from what I have read} this is the norm for the iphone launch quarter but considering this only includes one month of iphone 5 sales I expect apple to dominate in the next quarter and maybe the one after that as well {at least in the US}

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah I find it strange as well and the wording of the Reuters article is a bit weird as well. Seems through {from what I have read} this is the norm for the iphone launch quarter but considering this only includes one month of iphone 5 sales I expect apple to dominate in the next quarter and maybe the one after that as well {at least in the US}

It seems that iPhone is actually recovering marketshare in the US on an overall pattern over Android, which isn't so much the case in the rest of the world. So it waits to be seen whether the US is an outlier or an trendsetter in this regard.

diabolus

Executive Member
Apple's profit vs everyone else.

iPhone overtakes Android in marketshare in the US.

That second link is quite shocking to me. I never thought iOS would actually be able to overtake Android on a sheer marketshare basis. Of course America tends to be more Apple-centric than other markets but still it's a major surprise. Seems iPhone5 is doing gangbusters for them.

Huh? Why is this shocking, ios was dominating in the usa since iphone 3. Android only recently caught up and passed them, but it was always common knowledge apple rules in the usa. I am actually shocked android even passed ios in usa.

Keep in mind usa market does not reflect international. Android is huge everywhere else.