BeVonk!

Executive Member
No use making the "best ever iPhone" and it is unavailable for purchase. We are having so many debates on here about which phone/OS is the best ... but it's actually of little use arguing about something not actually obtainable. The S3 and Note 2 are easy to get. But I guess this is the old story about SA being much lower on Apple's priority list. Samsung's treating our market with more respect.

Allin

Expert Member
And in other news it was announced today that the sun sets in the west...

JimboBob

Expert Member
No use making the "best ever iPhone" and it is unavailable for purchase. We are having so many debates on here about which phone/OS is the best ... but it's actually of little use arguing about something not actually obtainable. The S3 and Note 2 are easy to get. But I guess this is the old story about SA being much lower on Apple's priority list. Samsung's treating our market with more respect.

I think we're just lucky because we've (SA) been grouped into the Middle East region, which is a huge market.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I think we're just lucky because we've (SA) been grouped into the Middle East region, which is a huge market.

It's not just South Africa, Samsung are good at keeping stock levels high the world ocer - I think Samsung are just better at making massive volume. Apple became famous because of their unrivalled supply chain, which Tim Cook built up - but now look what's happened - in the earnings call, Cook said that the iPhone5, iPad mini and iMac were all supply-side constrained. Perhaps he's too busy CEO'ing and not spending enough time Supply chaining, and they've lost their edge there.

Samsung on the other hand seem to have gotten better and better as time goes on, and the fact they make so many components and therefore get first dibs on the parts, can't hurt at all. Maybe this is also a consequence of Apple's suing Samsung? Suddenly they're not top of the list of the world's biggest manufacturer of smartphone parts.

antowan

Honorary Master

So well said! Especially regarding respect for our market...

icyrus

Executive Member
It's not just South Africa, Samsung are good at keeping stock levels high the world ocer - I think Samsung are just better at making massive volume.

Apple still sells more of their single product lines than the comparable Samsung lines.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Apple still sells more of their single product lines than the comparable Samsung lines.

You have some sales data to back that up? Galaxy vs iPhone sales to be exact. Would be interesting to see.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You have some sales data to back that up? Galaxy vs iPhone sales to be exact. Would be interesting to see.

Well... Samsung just announced 100m Galaxy phone sold in total - 20m SGS, 40m SGS2 and SGS3 respectively. Apple just sold 137m iPhones in the last year. Apple didn't break out the numbers on iPhone5 vs 4s/4 this last quarter out of the 47.8m sold in total, but they said the breakdown was similar to last year's which would mean around 30m iPhone5's in 3 months. You can do some more research though but I think that's about right. On total sales though Samsung sold something like 395m phones combined last year which is hugely more than Apple.

icyrus

Executive Member
Making only one product would be much easier than multiple products.

The bulk of Samsung's sales come from their low end phones that use more commoditized parts and design.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well... Samsung just announced 100m Galaxy phone sold in total - 20m SGS, 40m SGS2 and SGS3 respectively. Apple just sold 137m iPhones in the last year. Apple didn't break out the numbers on iPhone5 vs 4s/4 this last quarter out of the 47.8m sold in total, but they said the breakdown was similar to last year's which would mean around 30m iPhone5's in 3 months. You can do some more research though but I think that's about right. On total sales though Samsung sold something like 395m phones combined last year which is hugely more than Apple.

Ah, I see. But still, more people are buying Samsung instead of Apple. Not sure it matters that much though.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Ah, I see. But still, more people are buying Samsung instead of Apple. Not sure it matters that much though.

It does matter, because volume is money - you just can't argue that bigger numbers are bad. But we're looking at two completely opposite business models; one is volume driven and one is margin driven. If Samsung could manage to get 3 individual phones onto the market and command Apple's profits, they'd do it in a second I would imagine.

Crowley

Executive Member
And in other news it was announced today that the sun sets in the west...
Actually it is due to the earth's rotation that is looks like the sun is setting...

The bulk of Samsung's sales come from their low end phones that use more commoditized parts and design.
Sales yes, profits not quite.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...76-per-cent-profit-share-increase-for-samsung
Samsung Galaxy S3 sales are the major contributor behind Samsung Electronics’s 76 per cent profit share increase.

The electronics manufacturer saw its net income rise to a record 7.04 trillion won (£4.1 billion) in Q4 2012, from 4.01 trillion won (£2.4 billion).

Samsung Galaxy smartphones, including the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2, have outsold the Apple iPhone range for a fourth straight quarter, with the Korean manufacturer being crowned top smartphone retailer last year over rival Apple.

An increase in sales of the Galaxy smartphones makes the devices the key source of profit growth for Samsung. The operating profit from the smartphone and tablet division was 5.44 trillion won (£3.2 billion) in Q4, more than doubling the 2.56 trillion won (£1.5 million) earned in Q4 2011.

Analysts suggest that Samsung shipped more than 60 million smartphones last quarter, although official figures haven’t been released by Samsung. This suggests Samsung’s total smartphone shipments for 2012 are at over 200 million.

Comparatively, Apple announced on Wednesday that it sold 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter.

b@nD

Banned
Wellll
I checked at my local Incredible Store
They still had iPad's and phones
but
NO Samsung stock left -- ALL sold !

Not sure what that says ?

cozinsky

Expert Member
My experience of the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini is that stock is severly restrained. I consider myself extremely lucky to get an iPhone 5 on the day of launch at Cell C. But then again, I was first at Cell C during launch day. The late sleepers are complaining that they are still waiting. You snooze, you loose. If Apple could just keep up with demand, their sales figures would be MUCH higher. It is a fact you can't deny.