Article: Sangoma sick note valid: court

rpm

Admin
Staff member
A woman who was "badly tormented by her ancestors" had to be reinstated in her post, even if she took a month's leave without her employer's permission, the Labour Appeal Court has ruled.

Three judges from the Labour Appeals Court delivered their verdict, saying the judgment was "something new", Beeld reported.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Everyone always asking "Why can't people just believe what they want whether it's true or not, it doesn't harm anyone?" or demanding that we just respect beliefs for no reason other than that people believe them: Take a good look at this story.

Mila

Honorary Master
:wtf:

I mean a real sickness that a traditional healer was consulted for... this?!

Can I get a month leave if my Priest say I need an exorcism?

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Ninja'd is unavailable for the next 5 days due to the process of bringing back his lost lover.

abzo

Honorary Master
Ninja'd is unavailable for the next 5 days due to the process of bringing back his lost lover.
Ninja'd is getting ripped off. The pamphlets say "bring back lost lovers immediately."

lestoran

Awesome so I can write my own sick notes now :)
This is really good news as I am an official pope of the church of the Sub-Genius (all hail Bob).

It's true - cut the pope card from a book by Robert Anton Wilson so it must be valid :)

Hemps

Executive Member
We also had a guy who gave a sick note from a Sangoma in our office, cant remember the excuse on the note BUT it was discovered he was actually drunk which was the reason he could not come to work.
It's open up to abuse.

Necuno

Court Jester
We also had a guy who gave a sick note from a Sangoma in our office, cant remember the excuse on the note BUT it was discovered he was actually drunk which was the reason he could not come to work.
It's open up to abuse.
And that only happens with sagoma notes :whistling:

TJ99

Honorary Master
It's open up to abuse.
Yeah, sure, that one guy abused the system, but what about all the legitimate cases of ancestors tormenting people or bad tokoloshe spirits keeping them awake, now they have to get a bad rep too?

porchrat

Honorary Master
Her leave was unpaid. RTFA.

Regardless it is ridiculous.

As far as I am concerned you shouldn't get to just take leave unannounced when your boss says no and expect to keep your job.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Her leave was unpaid. RTFA.

Regardless it is ridiculous.

As far as I am concerned you shouldn't get to just take leave unannounced when your boss says no and expect to keep your job.
well she did leave a doctor's note :)

mercurial

MyBB Legend
A woman who was "badly tormented by her ancestors" had to be reinstated in her post, even if she took a month's leave without her employer's permission, the Labour Appeal Court has ruled.

Three judges from the Labour Appeals Court delivered their verdict, saying the judgment was "something new", Beeld reported.

Johannah Mmelodi, who had already worked for the Kievitskroon Country Estate for eight years, attended in her own free time a course to become a traditional healer.

After completing the course, she asked for a month's unpaid leave to attend another course, to become a sangoma.

Her employers turned down her request, and she attended the course regardless, but not before dropping off a sick note from a traditional healer at her employer's office.

The sick note stated that she was being "badly tormented by her ancestors".

After she returned to work, she was subjected to a disciplinary hearing for absenteeism and fired.

The CCMA found that Mmelodi's dismissal was unfair, and they reinstated her in her post.

The company appealed, and the Labour Appeals Court ruled in Mmelodi's favour, saying South Africa was a land of many cultures and that traditional Western culture could not be allowed to dominate the African culture of many of the country's inhabitants.
WTF :confused:

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Well she did ask at first... at least . :p

I need a sangoma so I can skip my exams :whistling:

lucifir

Expert Member
this is the problem with trying to appease everyone ..... sangoma's are not doctors and should never have been allowed to act in this capacity ... so the courts made the right decision, given our ridiculous laws