Axxess reduces ADSL bundle prices

techead

Honorary Master
so the ones that ARENT useless, you have to pay for.

I tried a reseller of MTN backbone last night. Not Afrihost, another smaller ISP. Micro-stutter during online games was so bad I had to change accounts mid game.

BEWARE : YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

blunt

Expert Member
I guess looking at the capped bundles and their prices show you just how much you'll get to use on your uncapped account before it becomes sh*t

50gb 4mb capped is the same price as 4mb uncapped.

Electric

Honorary Master
I guess looking at the capped bundles and their prices show you just how much you'll get to use on your uncapped account before it becomes sh*t

50gb 4mb capped is the same price as 4mb uncapped.

you'd best only use that 50gb across a 30day rolling window as well.

Electric

Honorary Master
What account grim?
A close friend of mine got throttled at 22gb on day 12.
He cancelled promptly after that.

40gb in a day tells me you're probably on a 10mb account.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
If MTN did not shape HTTP downloads it would be an excellent deal. Surely they can apply some time to find download sources from Rapidshare etc that typically host content found on NNTP and Torrent. You can shape my "Linux Distro" downloads to 5% for all I care but it is hugely frustrating when you need to download a driver or program and sitting with 25% connection shaping.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
930gb last month and 380gb this months so far.

Also axxess 10mps for R375 , its all about which protocols you use :p

chrisc

Executive Member
Depending on who posts, they are the ISP of hell, or best value for money. Both cannot be right. I would be inclined to listen to people who actually use Axxess, rather than those who like to post a negative comment for its own sake.

Just saying ""useless" educates nobody. How was this opinion arrived at? Is it personal experience, a word from a friend (who might not properly understand what he is paying for)?

I have had several people tell me they did not know there were different speeds for ADSL, let alone a "cap". One fellow is an attorney, another runs a restaurant. They have no inkling of to them, complex computing terms and tell me that they are not IT experts. If some of these read these 13 comments here posted, all they will ascertain is that there is serious disagreement, and back to Telkom they go, as they feel Telkom runs the show anyway, so let them do it

My question: Do Axxess shape or otherwise limit data throughput on certain protocols? Does this vary during the day? And how do you find this out, as a layman? There is nothing in the terms and conditions that hints of this practice

Tinuva

The Magician
Depending on who posts, they are the ISP of hell, or best value for money. Both cannot be right. I would be inclined to listen to people who actually use Axxess, rather than those who like to post a negative comment for its own sake.

Just saying ""useless" educates nobody. How was this opinion arrived at? Is it personal experience, a word from a friend (who might not properly understand what he is paying for)?

I have had several people tell me they did not know there were different speeds for ADSL, let alone a "cap". One fellow is an attorney, another runs a restaurant. They have no inkling of to them, complex computing terms and tell me that they are not IT experts. If some of these read these 13 comments here posted, all they will ascertain is that there is serious disagreement, and back to Telkom they go, as they feel Telkom runs the show anyway, so let them do it

My question: Do Axxess shape or otherwise limit data throughput on certain protocols? Does this vary during the day? And how do you find this out, as a layman? There is nothing in the terms and conditions that hints of this practice
Very good questions.

I have used both IS based accounts and MTN based accounts, and they both excel at different things.

IS based accounts are great after hours, because they get completely unshaped after hours, regardless of your star rating or whatever. Pure bliss if you don't care about business hours usage. If you need business hours usage, pay more for the business accounts, worth it if you are a business and need it. That said, if you on the consumer account during business hours on 1 star...well most things are almost non-existent, ie. you can't do anything during the day, not even play games, because you can't authenticate to the global login servers of most games.

The MTN based accounts are different. Once you hit the point where they throttle you, its throttled 24/7 until the next month, when you can do 30GB and get throttled again. However where these accounts excel at is, any non-downloading protocol goes full speed after the throttling (they will call it shaping) point. So you get 30KByte/sec on downloads on a 10Mbit/sec account, BUT browsing and streaming and games go full account speed which is great. There is a single work around as hinted by a few to keep on downloading full speed after being throttled. I like these accounts, but now that I am throttled, when I need to do legit downloads, ie. learning and building automated deployment vps's on my mini-server at home...well it goes slow, where as it would have been full speed after hours on the IS based accounts.

So to answer your questions:
1. I am on Axxess 10Mbit data only for R375 / month (very affordable imho)
2. Axxess do shape and limit data throughput on all P2P and download protocols 24/7 once you reach "managed" state.
3. This doesn't vary at all during the day, my experience is it is solid slow throughout the day and night once in "managed" state.
4. You will only find this out after trying out the account, then complain to their support your account is slow, and then they will explain to you, you downloaded too much for the month.

grim

Expert Member
Accounts are only managed (shaped) if their network is running low on bandwidth, it's not determined on an individual basis. MTN is currently waiting for more IPC capacity from Telkom which once it is up will reduce the amount of time that accounts are managed

Tinuva

The Magician
Accounts are only managed (shaped) if their network is running low on bandwidth, it's not determined on an individual basis. MTN is currently waiting for more IPC capacity from Telkom which once it is up will reduce the amount of time that accounts are managed
If you know people in the industry, you would know that MTN has more than enough capacity. I don't believe that they need more capacity, especially since they have been saying it for more than months now. Right now yes telkom wont make changes to the network, but it also dont take them so long to add capacity.

grim

Expert Member
If you know people in the industry, you would know that MTN has more than enough capacity. I don't believe that they need more capacity, especially since they have been saying it for more than months now. Right now yes telkom wont make changes to the network, but it also dont take them so long to add capacity.

They have added some capacity, more will be coming online in Jan/Feb.

Also remember that not all MTN's capacity is for use by Afrihost/Axxess, other ISP's also use their network.