Axxess SEACOM accounts?

wikus

Did anyone notice this message in the Axxess Control Panel?

System Notice

Our main backbone provider is currently in the phase of adding more bandwidth from the seacom infrastructure to the current network infrastructure, which will give much improved speeds internationally. In preparation of this, there may be some intermittent latency/connectivity issues internationally. We expect everything to be concluded by early August, after which you will be able to enjoy a much better surfing/connectivity experience. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.
So what does this mean to us as Axxess customers?
Maybe a choice between SAT3 and SEACOM packages?

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Who else, unless you know of a TNO that we don't know of? :p
It would depend on the account, I believe. IS and Telkom are the two backbone providers that I'm aware of. So it could be for both or either one of them.

Exciting though :)

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
come on axxess, do something exciting like a 10GB account for R250. Ok I'll dream on (for a few months) at least.

quik

Expert Member
It would depend on the account, I believe. IS and Telkom are the two backbone providers that I'm aware of. So it could be for both or either one of them.

Exciting though :)
Nope, Telkom are the only infrastructure providers for wired connections at the moment (Besides Neotel who are still building their network), so it does not depend on the account. IS are not infrastructure providers, they are Internet Service Providers, there's a difference ;)

eric.s

Can any1 tell me what this would mean for us poor folk who currently have dsl connections through Telkom....

Any ideas???

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Axxess are IS resellers, and IS have said that they are buying SEACOM bandwith.... this is was to be expected.

eric.s

So in other words....we have to buy bandwidth through axess at the moment to get the advantage of the faster speeds???!!!

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Can I smack you? R250 they should give us Uncapped! (No, it won't happen anytime soon )
+1

R250 for 10GBs... Gee... High standards much? *sarcasm*

Personally, R800 for unshaped, uncapped with no threshold (including DSL rental) and I'll be fine with it. Hell, R1,000 including line rental and I'll be fine with it. Anything over that is too 10-years-ago for my liking.

For "capped" services I'd expect it to be under R500 with caps of about 45-75GBs (again, unshaped).

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Nope, Telkom are the only infrastructure providers for wired connections at the moment (Besides Neotel who are still building their network), so it does not depend on the account. IS are not infrastructure providers, they are Internet Service Providers, there's a difference ;)
From my understanding SAIX and IS are backbone providers. Telkom is the only wired (fixed-line) provider (ADSL.) Which is why if SAIX is down, IS connections will likely still be running. However, if an exchange (DSLAM) is down, you're screwed one way or the other :p

HermanTheGerman

come on axxess, do something exciting like a 10GB account for R250. Ok I'll dream on (for a few months) at least.
Well, in Germany roundabout R250 buys you a double-flatrate (national telephone + uncapped hispeed DSL). I know I know ... the SA market is much smaller, still the so-called ISPs should be able to give us at least uncapped, unshaped connectivity for under R1000.
And as a customer I don't even wanna know if I'm on SEACOM or whatever backbone. Heck, I shouldn't be involved with all the technical stuff at all. Just boot my computer and be connected ... finito!

quik

Expert Member
From my understanding SAIX and IS are backbone providers. Telkom is the only wired (fixed-line) provider (ADSL.) Which is why if SAIX is down, IS connections will likely still be running. However, if an exchange (DSLAM) is down, you're screwed one way or the other :p
You need to get your terminology right, SAIX and IS are both upper tier ISP's, they are not infrastructure providers. IS has what you would call a core network, but they don't own the physical infrastructure that links all their clients to their network, the backbone as you refer to it. The physical infrastructure (which would include the exchanges, data network and last mile links) is owned and operated by Telkom.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
You need to get your terminology right, SAIX and IS are both upper tier ISP's, they are not infrastructure providers. IS has what you would call a core network, but they don't own the physical infrastructure that links all their clients to their network, the backbone as you refer to it. The physical infrastructure (which would include the exchanges, data network and last mile links) is owned and operated by Telkom.
I see. Well, I always assumed that IS and SAIX are two backbone providers (in the non-physical infrastructure sense) and that other ISPs (Axxess, Nexus, WebAfrica, OpenWeb, etc) would buy their bandwidth/usage from them.

Actually, allow me to elaborate with the Wikipedia description for an internet backbone:
Usually, the term is used to describe large networks that interconnect with each other and may have individual ISPs as clients. For example, a local ISP may provide service to individual homes or business using bandwidth that it purchases from another company with a backbone network.
I assumed that since other ISPs buy bandwidth/usage from both SAIX and IS that they are backbone networks. And yes, I understand that Telkom (as per the whole LLU saga) owns the DSLAMs, ADSL lines, etc and is the only company you can get an ADSL line from.

Regardless, it seems I misunderstood what a backbone is :) Thanks for clearing that up for me :p