Best Java IDE

Darr

I have recently started a Java course at MSA, they use the BlueJ IDE but i don't feel 100% comfortable with it.
I wanted to know your opinions on a good beginners IDE from anyone involved in any form of java development. They have recommended a few others, but if those are anything like BlueJ i'll be inclined to say no thanks. I have heard good things about ItelliJ and NetBeans but everyones input will be much appreciated!

bin3

I use Eclipse, have tried the others but keep coming back to Eclipse.

Here is the trick though: whichever IDE you finally choose: spend the time to learn it really well. The better you know and understand your IDE the more enjoyable everything else becomes.

moe46664

I've used Netbeans and Eclipse for a number of years, but hands down my favourite would be IntelliJ.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We use Eclipse. Personally I think it is a dog and Intelli J is much better.

If you don't need a full on IDE and can get by with something like Atom I'd rather go that route, especially for smaller projects.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Most off my coding (not just Java) is still done primarily in editors: Sublime Text or vi; which in my experience just are a better overall UX than IDEs + not only do they avoid all the IDE specific bugs (UI, Intellisync, Code completion, ...), they are far more responsive with larger source files.

On the occasion that I'm forced to an IDE (on site with a customer) -- it's usually either Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, ... but they're all varying shades of hair pulling awful (good & bad).

c10n3d_0r6

You should also be able to get the ultimate edition of IntelliJ IDEA for free by providing your student details.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I originally started with Netbeans but when eclipse came into the picture, there was no looking back.
I haven't tried intelliJ yet.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I originally started with Netbeans but when eclipse came into the picture, there was no looking back.
I haven't tried intelliJ yet.
There's an outside chance that IntelliJ might be a better IDE than Visual Studio even.

Still say that if you can get away with an advanced text editor like Atom it will be a way better experience.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
There's an outside chance that IntelliJ might be a better IDE than Visual Studio even.

Still say that if you can get away with an advanced text editor like Atom it will be a way better experience.
How do you compare Atom to Visual Studio Code text editor?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
How do you compare Atom to Visual Studio Code text editor?
I don't like VS Code. Suppose if I was doing .NET core work id sing a different tune but the layout of Atom, which is more "classical", just works better for me.

Plus the plugins: if I want Golang support - install the plugin, rust - plugin, php - plugin etc. VS Code (last time I checked anyway) still had a way to go.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I don't like VS Code. Suppose if I was doing .NET core work id sing a different tune but the layout of Atom, which is more "classical", just works better for me.

Plus the plugins: if I want Golang support - install the plugin, rust - plugin, php - plugin etc. VS Code (last time I checked anyway) still had a way to go.
I am finding VS Code quite interesting with Angular 4 development.
I haven't really hit any bumps and the cli which is PS, is lovely as well.

But again, I can't compare because I haven't used Atom either.

_kabal_

Expert Member
The spring support in IntelliJ is awesome, better than even STS/eclipse IMO.

I also like how using resharper in visual studio automatically makes most keyboard shortcuts the same as IntelliJ/webstorm/phpstorm. Makes VS work a little less painful