Best value Capped ADSL- should I switch from WebAfrica?

MadHatterZA

Hey Guys,

So after being abused by WebAfrica's 4Meg home uncapped a couple a months ago, I decided it wasn't for me, and after chatting to someone at their support they gladly switched me over to their 120GB anytime + 480GB from midnight – 6am account for R400 p/m. As a heavy streaming user I have to say that it's mostly acceptable. On good days with YouTube bouncing between 1080p and 720p - looking amazing on my all of my devices with an especially good performance coming from my chromecast. Torrents are meh- not very amazing in the day and with an average of 200kb/s during the night through my dedicated torrent box, it's nothing to be too excited about. I do call them every few weeks or so when the streaming gets bad and they almost always provide me with a business cap account to use for the day.

So, with not much too horrifically wrong with their service, my issue and reason for writing this post is the question of what data allocation as well as value and performance of this account as compared to other capped accounts would be best for 400 bucks. I do really miss the days of uncapped where I could pull down a 30 gig file whenever, anytime, with no fear of being cut off. (Probably just 360p & buffering suffering for the remainder of the month). Yes, I do have like a crap load of night cap- like, it's insane! But what am I meant to do with 480gigs between midnight and 6am when the primary protocol that I utilize around this time (bittorrent) is not really getting up to the speed that I would like (200kb/s is about half of what I get with http downloads).

I'm not writing not to cry, complain and ask for a miracle ISP that doesn't slow down this protocol, WE KNOW THEY ALL DO -it's totally understandable. I am writing to ask for some advice, I'm only getting like 4 gigs down a night, I want to do a couple of big downloads (like a game/HD series/some movies for plex) once every week or so and A LOT of HD streaming, is this night cap even worth while? And is there an ISP with the same quality for streaming but just a lot more day cap?

Right now we've chowed through 80% of our day cap and only 40 gigs night cap. I see Afrihost can get me 200gigs for the R400, so I'll sacrifice 480 at night for an extra 80 anytime data. This could be well worth moving to next month, but I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do.

Finally, I would love to push my line up to 10megs thus allowing me to use more night cap, but it would almost definitely mean we would pull down more in the day (with Full HD YouTube/Vimeo being way to tempting)- So I line upgrade is not an option (Right now atleast ;) ). Looking at my data usage, we have been edging towards using around 4 to 6 gigs on average in the day- which is not really suitable for my current allocation. So ditching WebAfrica for a more day-cap generous ISP is looking good.

Also, I'm not really looking to spend more, R400 is my data budget.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, shot! :D

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
200kb/s seems slow for torrents on a 4mb line. That's closer to 2mb speed.

MadHatterZA

Still not looking good, AH & Axxess are not looking too good as a new ISP right now. Crystal web (home premium uncapped OR R400 capped) might be good option. Help!?
@SeRpEnT Yeah WA is getting me like 200kb/s down on torrents, strangley enough, my AH capped account is getting like 380kb/s on the same torrents :confused: