Billion ADSL routers & Spaces in SSIDs

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi all.

In the last week, I've come across 2 Billion Wireless ADSL routers that don't like spaces in the SSID.

The first was an MWEB-branded Billion ADSL router (can't remember the model) and the second was a Telkom-branded Billion 400G Wireless-G ADSL Router.

If I set the SSID to contain a space, e.g. Toxic WiFi, then I was unable to connect to the wireless network, and Windows kept trying to connect endlessly, with no progress or error message. When I changed the SSID to ToxicWifi, then I was able to connect almost instantly. The same thing happened when trying to connect from my HTC Desire.

The problem is definitely with the Billion routers themselves, and not the devices or operating systems I was connecting from. I've tried with a Telkom-branded Siemens Gigaset SX762 Wireless Router/Modem, as well as various Netgear modem/routers and plain PPPOE routers, and they give no problems, when connecting from Windows PCs, Nokia phones, HTC phones, and various other devices.

So is this a well-known issue with Billion routers, where putting spaces in the SSID causes connectivity problems?

dragonflyer

Hi ToxicWazte

i have never had a problem with spaces in the SSID on the Billion routers. what i can suggest is doing a firmware upgrade on the unit. this should rectify the problem.

Saajid

Expert Member
Hi ToxicWazte

i have never had a problem with spaces in the SSID on the Billion routers. what i can suggest is doing a firmware upgrade on the unit. this should rectify the problem.

Thanks. For now, I just removed the spaces from the SSID. Will do a firmware update at a later stage.

GPSJane

That's cos Billion routers suck properly. I've had 2 from Mweb this year and they both didn't work out the box.

Saajid

Expert Member
I prefer Netgear routers/modems. Have never had problems with them before.