blocking adds on your android phone

Craig

Honorary Master
I dont have Opera it is a full screen add that keeps popping up when i am on whats app as well some other programs i am busy with.
I also suddenly started getting these full screen adds a few weeks ago. I just delted every single game that my kids download onto my phone and it didn't happen again. So it might be an installed app that's doing it. What did you download in the around the time it started?

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Yes i ran a malware scan and nothing was found
What phone do you have? I had a Doogee X90 and that phone came pre-installed with malware that couldn't be removed or disabled. A few other low-cost Chinese phones also have it.

jphegers

Oy, something is seriously wrong here... Ads while on WhatsApp? BTW, It would help us to help you, what phone do you have? I know of colleagues that bought cheap phones, Dogee, something like that. Riddled with ads, pop-ups and rate of ads per day increasing the longer you use the phone, to the point you throw the phone against the wall. Also loaded with spyware to the brim, along with the ads...
I have a Samsung S7 edge

RuhanSA079

I have a Samsung S7 edge
Alright, as @RedViking said earlier in a post, check what app does the pop-up adverts. Opera should not, in my opinion, do pop-up ads after you exited the app. Thus meaning only that the ads show while you are in the app. For now, rule out Opera.

Post a screenshot of all the apps installed in your phone.

What Android do you have? What phone do you have?

One of your apps is the problem.

Read this article:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-app-displaying-popup-adverts/

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Alright, as @RedViking said earlier in a post, check what app does the pop-up adverts. Opera should not, in my opinion, do pop-up ads after you exited the app. Thus meaning only that the ads show while you are in the app. For now, rule out Opera.
Opera is not the app. The pop-up is advertising Opera. That is how I understand it.

jphegers

Browser, yes. Or when you click a link and install malware yes. Google Play apps. No. That was an issue back in the Android 3 & 4 era.

Which Phone do you have and what Android OS is it running OP?
I have a samsung S7 edge running version 7.0

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Another problem is of course phones with preinstalled adware. Xiaomi for example show ads in almost all their system apps, flippen annoying. But you can switch it off in the settings of the individual apps. Once an app has been updated you need to make sure to check the options again to hide ads.
Most Xiaomi phones have Lineage OS support BTW. Might be worth it.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I have a samsung S7 edge running version 7.0
Last time I checked these are not phones but terror devices no? (With em having the odd one explode and so on) :)

Edit: My bad
It was the note's that exploded/recalled not the edge.

Last edited:

As1974a

When my SO upgraded to the Samsung S8 last year, the adds started rolling in from the time she started suing the phone. Deleted a few pre-installed apps and it stopped.

A few other family members had the same problem when installing android apps. Games especially. Deleted most recent and no more adds. However some people just don't learn or trust the play store too much.

RedViking

Nord of the South
When my SO upgraded to the Samsung S8 last year, the adds started rolling in from the time she started suing the phone. Deleted a few pre-installed apps and it stopped.

A few other family members had the same problem when installing android apps. Games especially. Deleted most recent and no more adds. However some people just don't learn or trust the play store too much.
The play store is fine. Dodgy and greedy developers will always find a way to exploit users. It is also not difficult to spot a dodgy app. I would also report the apps. In all my years I have never had this issue, neither anyone in my family. Some people just need to learn to stop installing rubbish.

sajunky

Honorary Master
What none of you are realising is that adverts from apps are getting more intrusive, and not dodgy ones from dodgy sites, but direct from the play store.
Aquamail is one example. It will silently download a video ad while you are composing Email. Once you send the mail, full screen popup comes on.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Aquamail is one example. It will silently download a video ad while you are composing Email. Once you send the mail, full screen popup comes on.
The guilty ones on my tablet (not my phone so much) which came preloaded (grrrr) and thus can't be removed are my e-reader, a game or two (which I enjoy playing so I reluctantly tolerate) and the cleaner thingy which sadly is more efficient than the next best alternative (which ate battery).

jphegers

The play store is fine. Dodgy and greedy developers will always find a way to exploit users. It is also not difficult to spot a dodgy app. I would also report the apps. In all my years I have never had this issue, neither anyone in my family. Some people just need to learn to stop installing rubbish.
all these full screen adds have the google play emblem in the bottom right corner so not sure about that statement after deleting all updates and apps from the last two months had one full screen add then all disappeared thank heavens but i also wrote to play store as well as Facebook regarding the matter so dont know which one did the trick.