blocking adds on your android phone

RedViking

Nord of the South
all these full screen adds have the google play emblem in the bottom right corner so not sure about that statement after deleting all updates and apps from the last two moths had one full screen add then all dissipated than heavens but i also wrote to play store as well as Facebook regarding the matter so dont know which one did the trick.
The google play emblem is just a shortcut to the app they are advertising for clicks.
Would be interesting to see the list of apps you uninstalled. But glad it is sorted!

Dan C

Honorary Master
all these full screen adds have the google play emblem in the bottom right corner so not sure about that statement after deleting all updates and apps from the last two months had one full screen add then all disappeared thank heavens but i also wrote to play store as well as Facebook regarding the matter so dont know which one did the trick.
The app normally uses a lot of bandwidth. Check your mobile internet usage.

jphegers

The google play emblem is just a shortcut to the app they are advertising for clicks.
Would be interesting to see the list of apps you uninstalled. But glad it is sorted!
most of the apps i deleted was updates to things like flashlight ect. only two new apps that i uninstalled was a voice recorder and the kiwi browser.

RedViking

Nord of the South
most of the apps i deleted was updates to things like flashlight ect. only two new apps that i uninstalled was a voice recorder and the kiwi browser.
Maybe the voice recorder app then? What is the name of the app? Or maybe even the flashlight app........

ThatOtherDude

Blokada used to work well on Android 8 but it seems to have fallen off the bus on Android 9.

& I hate using the Adblock Plus browser.
I like Chrome and Firefox thank you very much,.

I'm now back on "DNS66", a VPN based add blocker.

It blocks 99.9999% of adds on my Andoid 9 phone.

Rocco1

Anyone know of a work around.
Android 9 stopped the ability to block key words in sms text.
Now i get 10x DirectAxis sms's a day etc

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Best ad blocker for an Android Pie device?

Anything highly rated in the Play Store.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Best ad blocker for an Android Pie device?

Anything highly rated in the Play Store.
You do realise that adverts are basically Google's business model. Thus, they're not likely to encourage anything in the Play Store that would block ads.

Everything that I know of which works effectively is done without Google's blessing. See my post above.

Claymore

Executive Member
I use Block This! and I have used Blockada. I've discovered that when I'm down at the coast, using my dad's internet which goes via some wifi-based neighbourhood system, as well as some free wifi, the ads don't get blocked. Anyone have any idea why?

newby_investor

Expert Member
I use Block This! and I have used Blockada. I've discovered that when I'm down at the coast, using my dad's internet which goes via some wifi-based neighbourhood system, as well as some free wifi, the ads don't get blocked. Anyone have any idea why?
Those apps work by installing a "local" VPN (no third party, the phone is just creating a VPN with itself) and then setting up a mini-DNS with a blacklist of advertising domains.

As to exactly why they don't get blocked sometimes - it could be that the VPN is not getting set up correctly. Would need to actually be there to debug.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Those apps work by installing a "local" VPN (no third party, the phone is just creating a VPN with itself) and then setting up a mini-DNS with a blacklist of advertising domains.

As to exactly why they don't get blocked sometimes - it could be that the VPN is not getting set up correctly. Would need to actually be there to debug.
sneaky sneaky