Blood Pressure...

marine1

Honorary Master
I am in agreement here.

My BP over the last 2 years went up to around 140/90 and the Doctor put me on Prexum. I'm 53 years of age.
So I started looking for the causes for the BP and in my case it was mild sleep apnea (Tested at 12 Apneas an hour), being overweight and stress. Certain events in my life over the last 2 years led to me gaining weight together with elevated stress levels. The Doctor did his job by prescribing the meds but I don't want to live on BP Pills nor think its a wise by treating the symptoms and not the cause, so I took it upon myself to change my diet and have lost 10 to 15Kgs in the last 6 months. I went to the Sleep Clinic and got myself a CPAP Machine and in my opinion it has changed my life. I am now on 0.27 Apneas an hour according to my latest data download and as someone suggested here on this forum a page before this one I have also tried to adopt a "I don't give a damn attitude" as worrying/fretting about everything is seriously bad for your health.
More recently I had some Nasal Polyps removed and overall my breathing has improved even more. The recent download of data from my CPAP Machine at 0.27 Apneas an hour suggests its working well.

You get to know you body, I can even sense when my blood pressure is going up, usually stress related being the reason most of the time, but one of my early warning signs is mild tinnitus (ringing in the ears like the sound of crickets) and once my blood pressure drops again to below 120/80 it goes away.

So while my story isn't going to help everyone, it may give some people clues as to what causes unnaturally high blood pressure levels other than simply getting older.
I do believe that many people in this country probably don't know they suffer from sleep apnea. The obvious clues are being overweight and heavy snoring coupled with intermittent periods of no breathing and then sudden gasps for air. You would need to ask your partner, a friend or house mate to monitor your snoring sounds to alert you to sleeping irregularities. Apneas restrict your lungs from getting a constant flow of air and in so much a lack of air to your body would mean that your blood pressure would increase to compensate.
After a year of using my CPAP Machine I don't like sleeping without it. I also don't snore any more which is a bonus for my wife.

I have stopped taking the BP Pills on a regular basis and have bought myself my own BP Kit. I do find that my BP when checked is higher at the Doctor than when I do it at home. They call that the White Coat Syndrome apparently?

Hope my experience helps someone.
Great post and fully agree

semisane1987

I'm due for promotion at work hence the medical check up Wednesday. So just came back from a public clinic

BP 135/ 96 pulse 65
BP 123/93 pulse 65
RP 123/86 pulse 65

Sugar diabetic 5.1

So not bad hope it will be like that Wednesday. I think starting from today until Wednesday afternoon I will have eat, porridge and milk.

Last edited:

BTTB

I'm due for promotion at work hence the medical check up Wednesday. So just came back from a public clinic

BP 135/ 96 pulse 65
BP 123/93 pulse 65
RP 123/86 pulse 65

Sugar diabetic 5.1

So not bad hope it will be like that Wednesday. I think starting from today until Wednesday afternoon I will have eat, porridge and milk.
Exclude the milk and eat Rolled Oats or Tiger Oats (Blue Box) much cheaper.
For the last 6 months, my breakfast is a portion of rolled oats and 2 boiled eggs from our own chickens, everyday. No milk, just as is. If you want to make it more palatable add a teaspoon of real honey to that. I am used to eating the oats by itself and like it.
No sugar or coffee. If you need to drink something warm have tea like rooibos, green tea or one of the many teas available at the health shop. You can add a teaspoon of real honey to this if you like.
Also drink 3 litres of water per day.

Not going to go into any further detail on my diet but it has worked for me. I have always been a big man and for the first time in my life I have shed some kilos quite easily by being disciplined. Its hard at first and you need to have a mindset/reason to tackle this diet but once on it you will feel much better.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master

BP 135/ 96 pulse 65
BP 123/93 pulse 65
RP 123/86 pulse 65

Sugar diabetic 5.1

Still a bit high bud got to keep it under 90

marine1

Honorary Master
I know.

In my life I have eaten many tasty meals at home and out. My wife is a chef by trade, so you can imagine, it isn't easy. Enjoying my life more a few kilos lighter.
Wish I had someone to cook for me would make it so much easier

marco

Expert Member
My wife's granddad was also a chef and he ate anything. He never in his life had his BP taken and insisted on 2 eggs, toast and bacon every single morning. His gut was so big that he was asked to be Father Christmas every year in the small mining town. He drank whiskey every night but sadly died aged 99.

marine1

Honorary Master
Family member was in hospital yesterday - had a procedure done.
She has HBP and it shot up to 236/1xxx

:eek:

Now managed to get down to 160/95

BTTB

Family member was in hospital yesterday - had a procedure done.
She has HBP and it shot up to 236/1xxx

:eek:

Now managed to get down to 160/95
How much of that number isn't due to the White Coat Syndrome one wonders?
White coat hypertension, more commonly known as white coat syndrome, is a phenomenon in which patients exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, though they don't exhibit it in other settings.
I had nasal polyps removed and my septum straightened under general anaesthetic in November last year and I was really anxious about this procedure in the days running up to the operation. The morning of the operation my wife and I had a disagreement about nonsense. Needless to say when I went in that afternoon I was the only patient in the entire hospital, it was a small hospital geared up for sports injuries but as I got there after lunch all the staff wafted by looking at me, greeting at the same time, but in your head you are thinking oh dear I'm on the slab next and who knows what that does to your sub concious. The mind is the most powerful organ apparently and who knows its effect on your BP.

They measured my BP before the operation and it was 200/100, but he cuff was too small which skewed the number. The Doctor was quite concerned and told them I personally felt fine, no headaches (or tinnitus in my case) or signs of High Blood Pressure, I was really anxious to get this over with.
When they put me on the table before the Anaesthetic and used the theatres BP Machine it was 160/95 and he was happy saying he can regulate that with meds.

To summarise and I am going to state what the guy at the health shop said to me. Get your own BP Machine and measure your BP in the morning and the evening, not during the day and use the third reading as being the correct one. When I do this my BP is anything from 110/65 to 117/75. He believes fully in the white coat syndrome saying that your BP when tested under clinical conditions can often be higher than what it actually should be.

I used to be concerned about my BP, not so much any more, a lot can be contributed to your state of mind before you look at a medical/clinical reasons for it.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
Not sure, they have moved her into High Care now, not good at all

semisane1987

F@@@@ I give up every time I go for work medical check up, high blood pressure always creep but on normal visit to a doctor it's under control.

I went for work medical check today first attempt 160/100 pulse 75 but I narrowly escaped, with 140/92 pluse 80 the doctor he is a good mood today.

marine1

Honorary Master
F@@@@ I give up every time I go for work medical check up, high blood pressure always creep but on normal visit to a doctor it's under control.

I went for work medical check today first attempt 160/100 pulse 75 but I narrowly escaped, with 140/92 pluse 80 the doctor he is a good mood today.
Eish not good readings, so whats the end result?

semisane1987

He let me go 140/92 pulse 80 he said he can see I'm scared.

I'm on bilocor one of the best tablet for high blood pressure and heart condition. Normally my readings ain't that bad just every year, I struggle with bp every time I do medical check up for work.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
He let me go 140/92 pulse 80 he said he can see I'm scared.

I'm on bilocor one of the best tablet for high blood pressure and heart condition. Normally my readings ain't that bad just every year, I struggle with bp every time I do medical check up for work.
Have u thought about taking something an hour before checkup?
Like Xanor .25mg