I am in agreement here.
My BP over the last 2 years went up to around 140/90 and the Doctor put me on Prexum. I'm 53 years of age.
So I started looking for the causes for the BP and in my case it was mild sleep apnea (Tested at 12 Apneas an hour), being overweight and stress. Certain events in my life over the last 2 years led to me gaining weight together with elevated stress levels. The Doctor did his job by prescribing the meds but I don't want to live on BP Pills nor think its a wise by treating the symptoms and not the cause, so I took it upon myself to change my diet and have lost 10 to 15Kgs in the last 6 months. I went to the Sleep Clinic and got myself a CPAP Machine and in my opinion it has changed my life. I am now on 0.27 Apneas an hour according to my latest data download and as someone suggested here on this forum a page before this one I have also tried to adopt a "I don't give a damn attitude" as worrying/fretting about everything is seriously bad for your health.
More recently I had some Nasal Polyps removed and overall my breathing has improved even more. The recent download of data from my CPAP Machine at 0.27 Apneas an hour suggests its working well.
You get to know you body, I can even sense when my blood pressure is going up, usually stress related being the reason most of the time, but one of my early warning signs is mild tinnitus (ringing in the ears like the sound of crickets) and once my blood pressure drops again to below 120/80 it goes away.
So while my story isn't going to help everyone, it may give some people clues as to what causes unnaturally high blood pressure levels other than simply getting older.
I do believe that many people in this country probably don't know they suffer from sleep apnea. The obvious clues are being overweight and heavy snoring coupled with intermittent periods of no breathing and then sudden gasps for air. You would need to ask your partner, a friend or house mate to monitor your snoring sounds to alert you to sleeping irregularities. Apneas restrict your lungs from getting a constant flow of air and in so much a lack of air to your body would mean that your blood pressure would increase to compensate.
After a year of using my CPAP Machine I don't like sleeping without it. I also don't snore any more which is a bonus for my wife.
I have stopped taking the BP Pills on a regular basis and have bought myself my own BP Kit. I do find that my BP when checked is higher at the Doctor than when I do it at home. They call that the White Coat Syndrome apparently?
Hope my experience helps someone.