Blood Pressure...

Are there any medications that work with fluctuating BP

I have a problem where at night my BP drops, I have passed out and bashed a hole in the tiles while going to the bathroom at night while on my previous meds.

I lost quite a bit of weight and got taken off the meds as my BP was lower, but since the first lockdown I have gained most of it back and my BP is looking higher again.
 
If you suspect that your BP monitor might be giving incorrect readings, try replacing the batteries with new ones. It took me a visit to the emergency room to get a second reading before I realised what the problem was...
Thanks, This happened just now. Tensoval. I hardly used it tbh but it was bound to happen as I suspect this is a design flaw because of the way it curled up naturally.

Now looking for one. Any recommendations? . :)

1624804224345.png
 
So yesterday I got a proper schitting on from my gp.
I go to woolworths in the morning, park on one level then up a flight of stairs to the next level to the store.
I'm 3/4 up the stairs and suddenly severe chest pain hits, and I'm breathless.
I think to myself "fukk no, fresh produce is to the place to have a heart attack and die.
So back down the stairs and off to the car I go. Needless to say, 1st thing I do is light up a cigarette. 10 mins later I'm feeling fine again, so I go back home.
Around lunchtime I call the GP & tell her what happened.
*some context :: I was told if I so much as fart, I must get to hospital.

So there is silence on the other end of the phone.
"what's your blood pressure" she suddenly barks.
No pleasantries - she is bedonnered.
"actually no, don't bother" she says, and puts down the phone.

Oh well, I think to myself, and put down the phone. I grab something to drink and go fiddle around outside by the pool.
About 15 mins later I happen to glance back into the house and notice my housekeeper looking a little startled - like Bambi stuck on a freeway.
She looks at me, then looks towards the front door, then back at me and back at the front door - like an invisible tennis match is going on.

Next thing I see my gp storming in.
She is talking to, or barking at Harriet.
But the house has double glazing, so I can't hear a thing. But the gp's hair is flying everywhere as she is shaking her head.

She sees me and comes thundering in my direction, the sliding door flies open and she launches a tirade.
I stand there with a mouth full of teeth, a little bewildered, as she goes bananas.
"...and you ppl with a medical qualification are the worst to treat, expenentially so if the treatment you need is within your field of expertise", she carries on.
Hang on a sec - I say, wouldn't that include you, I bravely reply.

And then it came "unlike you, I probably have more than 6 months to live - which I estimate is your time remaining if you don't have the surgery".

I stand there in stunned silence as she realises what she had just said.
"I'm sorry" she says.
"sometimes things have to be said"
With that she storms off again, but unbeknown to her, my housekeeper closed the sliding glass door.
GP slams into the door and bounces back about 5m.
Before I can say anything she has gathered her composure and is gone.
I go inside - housekeeper looks at me shakes her head and walks off pretending to be busy with something else.

I make some coffee and light a smoke.
Harriet (housekeeper) comes flying at me with a wild-eyed look.
"Suga" she mutters, and with that, snatches the cigarette from my lips and grabs the packet from the counter top sliding door is opened so violently that the control for the air curtain pops off the wall. She storms to the pool and unceremoniously hurls my cigarettes into the pool, returns inside, glares at me and disappears.

I stand there shell shocked.
Next thing the phone rings, I look at the screen - it's the surgeon.
"this is going to be some day", I think to myself, before answering.
She says hello, and terribly politely tells me she has booked my admission to hospital for Friday and surgery on Monday. Call ends.

I've rescheduled tho - admission Monday, theatre on Wednesday.
Bypass + valve replacement.
 
So yesterday I got a proper schitting on from my gp.
I go to woolworths in the morning, park on one level then up a flight of stairs to the next level to the store.
I'm 3/4 up the stairs and suddenly severe chest pain hits, and I'm breathless.
I think to myself "fukk no, fresh produce is to the place to have a heart attack and die.
So back down the stairs and off to the car I go. Needless to say, 1st thing I do is light up a cigarette. 10 mins later I'm feeling fine again, so I go back home.
Around lunchtime I call the GP & tell her what happened.
*some context :: I was told if I so much as fart, I must get to hospital.

So there is silence on the other end of the phone.
"what's your blood pressure" she suddenly barks.
No pleasantries - she is bedonnered.
"actually no, don't bother" she says, and puts down the phone.

Oh well, I think to myself, and put down the phone. I grab something to drink and go fiddle around outside by the pool.
About 15 mins later I happen to glance back into the house and notice my housekeeper looking a little startled - like Bambi stuck on a freeway.
She looks at me, then looks towards the front door, then back at me and back at the front door - like an invisible tennis match is going on.

Next thing I see my gp storming in.
She is talking to, or barking at Harriet.
But the house has double glazing, so I can't hear a thing. But the gp's hair is flying everywhere as she is shaking her head.

She sees me and comes thundering in my direction, the sliding door flies open and she launches a tirade.
I stand there with a mouth full of teeth, a little bewildered, as she goes bananas.
"...and you ppl with a medical qualification are the worst to treat, expenentially so if the treatment you need is within your field of expertise", she carries on.
Hang on a sec - I say, wouldn't that include you, I bravely reply.

And then it came "unlike you, I probably have more than 6 months to live - which I estimate is your time remaining if you don't have the surgery".

I stand there in stunned silence as she realises what she had just said.
"I'm sorry" she says.
"sometimes things have to be said"
With that she storms off again, but unbeknown to her, my housekeeper closed the sliding glass door.
GP slams into the door and bounces back about 5m.
Before I can say anything she has gathered her composure and is gone.
I go inside - housekeeper looks at me shakes her head and walks off pretending to be busy with something else.

I make some coffee and light a smoke.
Harriet (housekeeper) comes flying at me with a wild-eyed look.
"Suga" she mutters, and with that, snatches the cigarette from my lips and grabs the packet from the counter top sliding door is opened so violently that the control for the air curtain pops off the wall. She storms to the pool and unceremoniously hurls my cigarettes into the pool, returns inside, glares at me and disappears.

I stand there shell shocked.
Next thing the phone rings, I look at the screen - it's the surgeon.
"this is going to be some day", I think to myself, before answering.
She says hello, and terribly politely tells me she has booked my admission to hospital for Friday and surgery on Monday. Call ends.

I've rescheduled tho - admission Monday, theatre on Wednesday.
Bypass + valve replacement.
Shoo, what drama!

Will think of you, my friend! Everything will go well. If a doc is like that, she have your best interest in mind.

Looks like you will be in good hands.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3WA
Anybody been put onto Carzin XL ?
Am on Atenolol but BP is still sky high.
Side effects seem horrendous
 
What make machine ? Mine seems to play up now and then. Often restarting before giving results..?
I bought this one, free delivery. I don't have to pump manually like with tensoval I had. I think my earlier one was very old machine but I didn't use it much - hardly twice a year so was surprised it broke so quickly.

 
I check my BP twice. First time was 132/91, then after some breathing exercises it was 121/83.
 
I check my BP twice. First time was 132/91, then after some breathing exercises it was 121/83.
Relaxed breathing allows more oxygen to enter the bloodstream causing the heart to not need to pump too hard and dropping the BP.
 
Relaxed breathing allows more oxygen to enter the bloodstream causing the heart to not need to pump too hard and dropping the BP.
Thanks for explaining. I have been told I have white coat syndrome. Was at the doc not too long ago and had a BP of 140/95. Doc recommend I measure my own BP and keep track of it. Seems to be fine.
 
Thanks for explaining. I have been told I have white coat syndrome. Was at the doc not too long ago and had a BP of 140/95. Doc recommend I measure my own BP and keep track of it. Seems to be fine.
sho. I have 140/95 at times even with prexum plus, with or without white coat nearby. I need to drop 20kg, no option really.
 
So I've changed my meds - mainly as a result of the fact that in the UK they have different preferred treatments. Used to be on prexum plus - it kept my BP pretty much under control but I had some side effects from the diuretic portion of it - I was taking 4 magnesium pills a day to avoid crippling muscle cramps.

Spoke to my new doc here, she's put me on something called Ramipril, on a fairly high dose. No more cramps! And 133/71 just now.
 
Script renewal. Dr checked my BP as well.

Beautiful 124/81 (was 140/90 at first, but Dr said I must lie down and relax for a bit before trying again).

I'll gladly pay the R230 for the script renewal and know that I'm good for 6 more months instead of taking a chance and not taking any meds...

Still on the original meds.
 
Anybody been put onto Carzin XL ?
Am on Atenolol but BP is still sky high.
Side effects seem horrendous
Never heard of it. Got prescribed co-zomevek 12.5mg as prexum plus 5mg didn't have much effect.

I need to drop 20kg and then hopefully it will be under control.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X