Bmw 118i or Audi A3 2L

Kieran97

I am looking at these two cars as options to buy a sporty hatch. I like both the bmw 118i and the Audi A3 both 2010 models but im not to sure which to choose.

I would like to know which out of the two cars is the better buy with regards to cost of spares as well as which car is more reliable in the long run. Both the cars have +/- 100 000km.

If someone can help me out and point me in which direction is better it would be much appreciated!

shreez

BMW, anyday.

Audi's just don't stand up to them.
And yes, agreed with other poster's RWD is always better!

Kieran97

But regarding to price of spares for both these cars which is more expensive or are they both similar

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I meant (next) round....gen (generation) is FWD.

"Next" was the missing word.

Cy0nide

I will Say Audi i had the 2l just stay away from the auto boxes..........and OP just phone any gerage where you will service the car and ask them what the service will cost

Elfreako

Expert Member
I've got a 2011 120i. If you could find a 2011 with a little less KMs, you could extend the maintenance plan a year to see if the car is a lemon. My car is running awesome *touch wood*, but when I first got it it had some problems that took a few calls to BMW head office and about 8 trips to the dealer to fix. The German cars can be really annoying / expensive when they are not working correctly. The BMW warning sound is particularly annoying :D But given the choice between the two, I would pick the BMW any day. And I really love the car now. A big plus for BMW is that extending the motorplan is a lot cheaper than the other German manufacturers. Phone Audi and ask them for a quote if you want a shock.

Drifter

Honorary Master
The Next BMW 1-Series Will Be Front-Wheel Drive: Here's Why That Makes Sense
Following on from the 2-series Active Tourer, the future 1-series will be the next BMW to ditch rear-wheel drive, but that's not such a bad thing

With the 2-series Active Tourer on the way, we’re already getting used to the idea of front-wheel drive cars from BMW. It turns out the AT won’t be the only front-driven Beemer, though, as Auto Express is reporting that the 2018 BMW 1-series will also send its power through the front wheels, with the exception of the more powerful models which will be four-wheel drive. It’s not yet clear what will happen to the next 2-series coupe, but as it will most likely share a chassis with the next 1-series, it’ll go down the same front/four-wheel drive route.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...-frontwheel-drive-heres-why-that-makes-sense/

Kieran97

I've got a 2011 120i. If you could find a 2011 with a little less KMs, you could extend the maintenance plan a year to see if the car is a lemon. My car is running awesome *touch wood*, but when I first got it it had some problems that took a few calls to BMW head office and about 8 trips to the dealer to fix. The German cars can be really annoying / expensive when they are not working correctly. The BMW warning sound is particularly annoying :D But given the choice between the two, I would pick the BMW any day. And I really love the car now. A big plus for BMW is that extending the motorplan is a lot cheaper than the other German manufacturers. Phone Audi and ask them for a quote if you want a shock.

Thanks for the help!

Kerrits

So rumours then.

That was said about the current 1 series as well. The FWD rumours turned out to apply only to the active tourer.
I believe the 1 series sedan built for the chinese market will be FWD.

I will believe that they will make the 1 hatch and especially the 2 series coupe FWD when BMW officially announces it, or I see it.