Buying a data bundle from iPad

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Good Day

I would like to know if there is a way I can buy a data bundle from the iPad 2, while taking advantage of Cell C's recent data bundle price cut (and without calling the call centre).

Previously, I would buy a data bundle from the iPad's "SIM Applications" menu, and follow the prompts. However this method has not yet reflected Cell C's latest data bundle prices. See screenshots below:

Also, I cannot dial *147# from the iPad menu. I am also trying to avoid going into a Cell C store, or taking the sim card out of the iPad and putting it into a phone so that I can dial *147# each time I want to buy a data bundle.

In short, can the data bundle rates shown in the Cell C SIM Menu be updated to reflect the reduced figures?

Your assistance would be greately appreciated.

Novoca1ne

As far as I know you can jailbreak the iPad and use a "dialer" thingy on it. I'm not too sure about this so somebody might need to confirm.

crackersa

Honorary Master
and dialing *147# won't help either as that menu hasn't been updated either. had a nice blow out with customer support on that.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Thing is I can jailbreak if I wanted to, but at this moment I'm choosing not to (and trying to do things legitimately).

@ginggs: I haven't, but would that help tho? If they would allow USSD, then they could also allow sms'ing from the iPad. But I don't think they will. This is how they lock you down. This is why we jailbreak :D

jazzyl

Good day for all those that want to purchase Cellc Data bundles without the ussd as we all know that it does not work on iPad here is the step by step instructions :

Go to  Settings
Select Cellular Data
Select SIM Applications

SelectProducts and Services
Note that Products and Services is the only Tab which works in this window.

Select Data Bundles

After select the bundle option SelectAccept to buy.

http://www.twitter.com/jazzyl

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Good day for all those that want to purchase Cellc Data bundles without the ussd as we all know that it does not work on iPad here is the step by step instructions :

Go to  Settings
Select Cellular Data
Select SIM Applications

SelectProducts and Services
Note that Products and Services is the only Tab which works in this window.

Select Data Bundles

After select the bundle option SelectAccept to buy.

http://www.twitter.com/jazzyl
HI

What version did you have on the Ipad ?
Where the carrier setting defined ?

Just want to see as some ipad dont work with this option.

Regards
±AM±

whatwhat

Executive Member
Thing is I can jailbreak if I wanted to, but at this moment I'm choosing not to (and trying to do things legitimately).

@ginggs: I haven't, but would that help tho? If they would allow USSD, then they could also allow sms'ing from the iPad. But I don't think they will. This is how they lock you down. This is why we jailbreak :D
8ta has an app that does this for you, so do many other cell providers over the world. Log a call to Cell C and get them to write one too.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
[-]8ta[/-] The iPhone has an app that does [-]this[/-] USSD for you, so [-]do many other cell providers[/-] does every other phone, all over the world. Log a call to [-]Cell C[/-] Apple and get them to [-]write one too[/-] add USSD support to the iPad.
FTFY.

wallworth

I have an IPad and I am stuck on cell c because I damaged the sim tray and I am afraid of swopping the sim cards. The Sim application used to work perfectly for loading data on the IPad but now it is malfunctioning. If I load R260 of airtime onto the number and check the balance on the IPad I can see the R260 of airtime. If I then try to load 1.2GB data bundle for R250 as indicated by the sim application it keeps on saying that the balance is insufficient to buy the bundle. I recheck the balance and it is still R260.

If I am not careful the IPad obviously starts using some of the airtime at the exorbitant out of bundle rates it does not take long for the airtime to dip below R250. This is what happened last month. At this point last month I ended up trying the 500mb option at a much higher rate per mb and it succeeded obviously I only realized that the bundle was used up when the remaining airtime was also sucked up as well.

Now this month I optimistically hoped that what ever happened last month was temporary of nature and I loaded another R260 of airtime. Sadly the problem persists and I have now switched of the IPad so I can spend another weekend on the phone with Cell C to try and sort out yet another example of this pathetic company's inability to deliver the customer service that they had to hired a comedian for - to convince us that they can deliver.

Last edited:

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
A tablet has a data connection, it's not a phone. A phone needs USSD, a tablet does not.
No, you are wrong.

Sorry to break this to you, but an iPad is an really an iPhone with a big screen.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
lol. Sorry to break this to you, but you're an idiot.
That may be so, but know this: the only reason an iPad with 3G cannot do USSD is because Apple did not include the dialer app.

If nobody tells Apple they need USSD functionality, Apple will continue to assume everyone has unlimited data plans and doesn't need to check their balances and top-up.

MongooseMan

Expert Member
That may be so, but know this: the only reason an iPad with 3G cannot do USSD is because Apple did not include the dialer app.

If nobody tells Apple they need USSD functionality, Apple will continue to assume everyone has unlimited data plans and doesn't need to check their balances and top-up.
Mo4r tangents please.
Seriously though, Apple's not going change this, so learn to deal with it.
8ta made an app to deal with it, what have CellC done?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Seriously though, Apple's not going change this, so learn to deal with it.
You have some insider info?

Don't forget the original iPhone and iPhone 3G both shipped without MMS and copy & paste (yet, strangely, with very good USSD support). These features were included in the iOS 3 update, so it's not impossible that the iPad may get USSD support in a future update.

Last edited: