Cannot cancel MTN contract - help!!

Nahnotme

I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

Background - my father in law has Alzheimers and is no longer able to use his phone. We need to cancel the contract as MTN is still debiting R600 a month for his contract. We went to an MTN store, was told he needs to come into the store. Not a good idea by going on his state of mind, but OK we’ll bring him. We take him to the store a few days later just to be told they cannot process cancellations in store - you need to phone MTN.

So we phone MTN, get transferred to retentions, after 45 minutes on hold call disconnects. We phone again today– this time we are told by the consultant ONLY the contract holder can cancel the contract and she doesn’t care if he has Alzheimers.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Sayf777

Expert Member

Background - my father in law has Alzheimers and is no longer able to use his phone. We need to cancel the contract as MTN is still debiting R600 a month for his contract. We went to an MTN store, was told he needs to come into the store. Not a good idea by going on his state of mind, but OK we’ll bring him. We take him to the store a few days later just to be told they cannot process cancellations in store - you need to phone MTN.

So we phone MTN, get transferred to retentions, after 45 minutes on hold call disconnects. We phone again today– this time we are told by the consultant ONLY the contract holder can cancel the contract and she doesn’t care if he has Alzheimers.

Is it a sim only or with phone?

If its sim only just say you your father in law and see if you can answer his security questions

jnvdh06

Email retentions@mtn.co.za then ask for an early termination quote for the number in question.

They will them respond and ask for a few security questions like what type of bank, account type etc.

It just takes a while to respond between emails but it should be easier than guessing the answers over the phone.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Email retentions@mtn.co.za then ask for an early termination quote for the number in question.

They will them respond and ask for a few security questions like what type of bank, account type etc.

It just takes a while to respond between emails but it should be easier than guessing the answers over the phone.
Not a bad idea.

marioat1

Expert Member

Get power of attorney issued due to his incapacity and then email retentions to cancel