Cardless ATM service launched

Peder

Hobbit
this is flippin cool!!! i think its the BOMB!!! Cause its needed sometimes

wcoetzee

Expert Member
that brings up a question/idea
why not have away with the whole debit card and just let you type in a user name and a 7 digit alphanumeric character password to draw cash:confused:
there is no card to steal as well
and same for credit cards
or use a finger print reader

Last edited:

kgatlem

Trnsaction

Capitec is already using this type of method in conjunction with Shoprite I wonder if there's no copy cat...monkey see monkey do:rolleyes:

ColinR

Expert Member
Very handy if you've forgotten your wallet at home,and need cash. I've been in that situation, access to internet banking, just can't get cash. Solved!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
I've seen this option on ABSA atm's for more than a month now, just never ever thought about pressing the button next to it!

CathJ

Expert Member
that brings up a question/idea
why not have away with the whole debit card and just let you type in a user name and a 7 digit alphanumeric character password to draw cash:confused:
there is no card to steal as well
and same for credit cards
or use a finger print reader

Because there's a lot more information on the card than just your account number.

I'd be very wary of fingerprint readers - they're too easy to fool, and fingerprints aren't as unique as you think they are. It also depends how they're used; if they are used to figure out who you are, that's more dangerous than if they're used to figure out if you are who you say you are (if you get the difference).

Kalvaer

Expert Member
Can you imagine how long the bank queue's are now going to be near the ATM's at month end. Everyone standing around hogging the machine for 10 minutes while they wait for the other party to phone them back with the 10 digit code?

Deenem

Expert Member
Capitec is already using this type of method in conjunction with Shoprite I wonder if there's no copy cat...monkey see monkey do:rolleyes:

Definitely, the banks are crapping themselves about Checkers becoming a 'bank', they'd lose a lot of business.

Looks like the threat of competition is making them come up with some innovative ideas, I like it.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison

Capitec is Absa's proving ground/baby. They have a vested interest in Capitec;)

andres101

Expert Member
my understanding most modern ones will check if there blood flow thous they cant chop it off
Most check the temperature, some check for a heart beat.

I'd be very wary of fingerprint readers - they're too easy to fool, and fingerprints aren't as unique as you think they are. It also depends how they're used; if they are used to figure out who you are, that's more dangerous than if they're used to figure out if you are who you say you are (if you get the difference).
It is called Identification and Verification. Most sensors have parameters that you can change for accuracy. The problem is that if you make the sensor (algorithm) too accurate, you have to place your finger in almost the exact position it was when you enrolled, the lighting has to be similar, you have to apply the same amount of pressure and it should be the same temperature.

stretch72

now you can get both your cash and cell stolen at that the same time - very handy