Cell C discusses HSPA+ growth

Joe Average

Brilliant, right behind you all the way. The only way to enforce competition in the mobile data market is to support the great service offered by the smaller player : CellC, which will lead to VodaCom en MTN to provide better value-for-money data products. The power is in our hands, only we can enforce competition and bring prices down.

tom110584

i wonder when we will see increased speeds in durban? maybe around june... i'm just hoping they have an even better deal to offer us at the end of october when my 3x60GB data sims go offline. 30GB a month for R400 would be excellent.

Pavan

Expert Member
sitting at the broadband conference right now with a panel discussion with Lars, Jannie (Voda) and Zoltan (8ta).

Lars reckons that PE will be up to 42Mbps by April. More importantly Cell C has aggressive plans for coverage. Apparently 67% coverage by July and 97% by end of 2011! sickly aggressive!

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Nice to know I am part of the unlucky 20% that is not covered in Joburg...

Sodan

Expert Member
When they cover my area, I'll subscribe in a jiffy. Sadly, I'm forced to give money to blue until then :-/

Yuu

Executive Member
Same here, our whole TOWN is not even covered and i keep checking at the CellC store @ Gateway Durban. Stanger / Kwadukuza Area fyi

Before boosting speed , they should concentrate on getting everyone on their high speed network.

I wonder if we will have to get new modems or will the black cell-c modem support the new speeds (42 Mbps)?

Beri

Expert Member
/////mr LARS how long before the spacial is no more. I am still stuck with Vodascum till August.

falcon786

Executive Member
Cant wait now lol getting really impatient!:crying:

lars send it this side lol please dont let the vaal be only covered in the 97% or even worse in the uncovered 3% :(

Anyone know when cell c is planning to cover vereeniging/vanderbijlpark/meyerton areas?

Tired of throwing my cash away to MTN. I left cell c a few years ago and started using only my mtn number as my main number because of the 3g coverage on mtn in my area,lets hope cell c get me back on their network soon-i cant without 3g/high speed internet unfortunately.

falcon786

Executive Member
World Class Speeds reaching a cap near you!
dude look around,still 100 times better than the slow speeds on expensive uncapped offerings that are highly shaped,not everyone is a cap freak,2gb a month will be more than enough for average people and 5gb a month will suit higher demand users,and plus this is a MOBILE connection that is cheaper/faster than fixed access...i think its a situation unique to south africa if i'm not mistaken.THIS is world class mobile internet!lol mtn can wish they have anything close to world class.

Where else in the world are mobile rates/speeds cheaper than fixed line?

Last edited:

Mbuzi

Expert Member
Nice to know I am part of the unlucky 20% that is not covered in Joburg...
Same here, Cell C is not serious about customers! They have been promising to come and test my signal coverage and I am yet to receive a call from them. Cell C Data rep is a joke! makes empty promises. If only Vodascum and Empty N were competitive I wouldn't bother sending queries to Cell X which so far is not interested.

nictron

Does anyone know if CellC will roam on MTN's data network?

The reason I ask is that I am on a farm with MTN's EDGE and if I can use CellC with their data pricing I would save quite a bit as MTN's data is horrendously expensive!

Thanks in advance.

Cost Conscious

I wonder if we will have to get new modems or will the black cell-c modem support the new speeds (42 Mbps)?
A 21Mbps modem can't go faster than 21! OTOH, right now I don't get anything faster than 9mbps, so when my local cell is upgraded to 42 it will only likely provide a modest increase in speed but the overall experience of those contending for the bandwidth will (hopefully) improve.

Pavan

Expert Member
@Mbuzi: Cell C is only 6 months into their HSPA roll-out... how can you expect them to compete with MTN/Voda coverage right now? Lars target for the end of 2011 is 97% coverage - seriously what more could you ask them to do in such a short period??

Antonf

Expert Member
When they cover my area, I'll subscribe in a jiffy. Sadly, I'm forced to give money to blue until then :-/
Only until Thursday Sodan. From Friday you will give your money to to red.

Antonf

Expert Member
I just wish Cell C will upgrade their coverage map to be more detailed (improved zoom) and that they worry more about increasing coverage rather than speed.