Cell C wifi calling

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi CPTGuy

We're glad to hear that everything is in order.

^MP

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi Sayf777

Thank you for raising the matter.

We'll have it updated as soon as possible.

^MP

whatwhat

Executive Member
So I've been using Wifi Calling in Asia on Cell C, and some thoughts

- Have only had one or two public wifi networks where it didn't connect, but that was probably them blocking ports so not an issue
- Works great, able to receive SMS messages as needed for various OTP uses
- Voice call quality is terrible. I bought the R199 bundle for lots of wifi calling minutes, but to be honest I fall back to FaceTime Audio or WhatsApp audio. No matter if it's another SA cell number of landline, the audio quality is really poor.

All in all it does what it says on the box, keeps you connected to your SA number.

AndrewNS

I'm wanting to make use of WiFi Calling with CellC when travelling overseas. I have a Samsung A3 (2017) which was purchased from Samsung. According to the CellC website, this phone should be able to support the functionality. However, the *#1234# response that I get is different to the one that they list on their website, and the Enable WiFi Calling option is not available under the Settings menu of my phone app.

At a CellC outlet, I was shown a similar Samsung that CellC, and where one might find this menu item. It's definitely not on my phone.

I have spent quite a bit of time going backwards and forwards between Samsung and CellC, with the technical departments giving their input. Each seems to say that it is the other one that should be able to provide the software update to allow one access this functionality.

Currently it would appear that one can ONLY get WiFi Calling if you have purchased your phone from CellC (or other WiFi Calling-supporting networks?). This is definitely not made clear on the CellC web page about WiFi Calling. Their Terms and Conditions say "You are required to have the applicable Wi-Fi calling software installed on your Wi-Fi calling enabled device;" but nothing about where/how to get it installed.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sayf777

Yes, the device needs to be purchased from Cell C. Its gotta do with the active CSC code.

Sayf777

I'll be surprised if that works. Ot generally requires root to change an active csc. Also make sure you download the csc file for your current firmware and csc (I assume you on XFE or XFV) so if there's signal issues you can revert. When installing it (via odin) use csc not home CSC.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I'm wanting to make use of WiFi Calling with CellC when travelling overseas. I have a Samsung A3 (2017) which was purchased from Samsung. According to the CellC website, this phone should be able to support the functionality. However, the *#1234# response that I get is different to the one that they list on their website, and the Enable WiFi Calling option is not available under the Settings menu of my phone app.

At a CellC outlet, I was shown a similar Samsung that CellC, and where one might find this menu item. It's definitely not on my phone.

I have spent quite a bit of time going backwards and forwards between Samsung and CellC, with the technical departments giving their input. Each seems to say that it is the other one that should be able to provide the software update to allow one access this functionality.

Currently it would appear that one can ONLY get WiFi Calling if you have purchased your phone from CellC (or other WiFi Calling-supporting networks?). This is definitely not made clear on the CellC web page about WiFi Calling. Their Terms and Conditions say "You are required to have the applicable Wi-Fi calling software installed on your Wi-Fi calling enabled device;" but nothing about where/how to get it installed.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Hi AndrewNS

Please PM us your contact details.

^SM

Sayf777

Any ideas/suggestions?
Were you able to come right?

Shaun108

Executive Member
Just use Whatsapp video or voice calls over wifi. You don't even need a sim card.

Sayf777

Just use Whatsapp video or voice calls over wifi. You don't even need a sim card.
There is that, but there are certain use cases for wifi calling over those mentioned.

E.g.: not everyone will call/be able to call via whatsapp video/voice call and if there's no mobile network signal, wifi calling works as a mobile tower so I can receive calls via my cell number as long as wifi calling is active.
Also it's great for international travelers, at least cell c's implementation of it.

AndrewNS

In follow up to my attempt to use a Samsung A3(2017) (purchased directly from a Samsung outlet) with Cell-C Wifi Calling:

I visited Samsung, Cell-C and cellphone service outlets and then followed this up with speaking to a lot of people (including Samsung and Cell-C technical services). The final verdict is that this facility is only available on phones purchased from Cell-C themselves. Neither Samsung nor Cell-C can enable it after you have purchased your phone from somewhere else.

(Note : If you have it, the enable/disable option is found under Settings in the Phone App, near the bottom of the list)

Yes, for me I will make use of WhatsApp and/or Telegram for VOIP calling. Obviously the WiFi Calling has advantages (e.g. seamless integration with your normal phone app, you can call normal phones, you can use your current contacts list, and the recipient does not need to be on WhatsApp/Telegram/etc etc)

Sayf777

Ah, well that sucks. I taught normally when its unbranded (like from samsung directly) the csc is XFA (which is also Cell C's consumer software customisation). If you have that written on your phone box there may still be a way.

whatwhat

Executive Member
In follow up to my attempt to use a Samsung A3(2017) (purchased directly from a Samsung outlet) with Cell-C Wifi Calling:

I visited Samsung, Cell-C and cellphone service outlets and then followed this up with speaking to a lot of people (including Samsung and Cell-C technical services). The final verdict is that this facility is only available on phones purchased from Cell-C themselves. Neither Samsung nor Cell-C can enable it after you have purchased your phone from somewhere else.

(Note : If you have it, the enable/disable option is found under Settings in the Phone App, near the bottom of the list)

Yes, for me I will make use of WhatsApp and/or Telegram for VOIP calling. Obviously the WiFi Calling has advantages (e.g. seamless integration with your normal phone app, you can call normal phones, you can use your current contacts list, and the recipient does not need to be on WhatsApp/Telegram/etc etc)
You will need to download the Cell C firmware from SamMobile and flash it to enable it.

edit - Otherwise try a custom rom like Lineage or the like.

Praeses

Expert Member
You will need to download the Cell C firmware from SamMobile and flash it to enable it.

edit - Otherwise try a custom rom like Lineage or the like.
This ^^^^

I have a MTN phone (S6 EDGE), but flashed with Cell C firmware - it's the only way my WiFi calling works :)

Sayf777

This ^^^^

I have a MTN phone (S6 EDGE), but flashed with Cell C firmware - it's the only way my WiFi calling works :)
Good to know it actually works, I'm surpirsied it does purely from flashing.

You mind telling me what it shows under 'About Phone- Software Version' it'll maybe show XFA-XFA-XFE? Or something of the sort?

Praeses

Expert Member
Good to know it actually works, I'm surpirsied it does purely from flashing.

You mind telling me what it shows under 'About Phone- Software Version' it'll maybe show XFA-XFA-XFE? Or something of the sort?
It's not showing that, but it's the XFE version which I flashed (MTN was XFA) :)