Cell C wifi calling

whatwhat

Executive Member
For those that are using Cell C wifi calling, how are you finding it? Does it work without issue on prepaid?

When I was on Cell C a few years ago I had endless issues with data connections and calls being dropped, in the Durban area? Has all those issues been resolved?

I'm moving to another country for a few months and need wifi calling to be reachable by my SA number. Vodacom's wifi calling doesn't work so there is only really one horse in this race. Just need to see if that horse is going for the win or the glue factory.

Sayf777

Seems to be working quite well for me. As long as you have a stable, relatively good speed Wi-Fi.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm moving to another country for a few months and need wifi calling to be reachable by my SA number. Vodacom's wifi calling doesn't work so there is only really one horse in this race. Just need to see if that horse is going for the win or the glue factory.
I presume while you have the number over there? Would it just work without roaming enabled?

panayi

Yes. Works pretty well for my wife. House has terrible pure cell reception so works on the wifi.... And would not need to have roaming enabled. Just works.
Make sure the device is capable and have the right sim card.

whatwhat

Executive Member
I presume while you have the number over there? Would it just work without roaming enabled?
Yes, wifi calling just works without roaming enabled. The countries I'm going to stay in don't have roaming on MTN prepaid, and I'm not signing up for any contract as I don't trust the provider billing.

I'll have a local sim when I'm there, I just need a way to get OTP numbers on my SA number from places like Coronation.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes, wifi calling just works without roaming enabled. The countries I'm going to stay in don't have roaming on MTN prepaid, and I'm not signing up for any contract as I don't trust the provider billing.

I'll have a local sim when I'm there, I just need a way to get OTP numbers on my SA number from places like Coronation.
So even SMS works over Wificalling? Interesting.

I'm on CellC now so would be a nice option when I travel again if it just works.

How do you know if a call is going over WiFi?

This is same as VoLTE right? I just assumed you would need to register on the network for it to work.

damian24

So even SMS works over Wificalling? Interesting.

I'm on CellC now so would be a nice option when I travel again if it just works.

How do you know if a call is going over WiFi?

This is same as VoLTE right? I just assumed you would need to register on the network for it to work.
On iphone, look in settings under phone and turn on wifi calling, on android YMMV as some handsets support other don't - notable MTN handsets don't have the option but Sammys from Cellc and Voda should have it somewhere in the menus.

Vodacom prepaid - call them and ask them to activate LTE, VoLTE and WiFi Calling... it should be activated automatically on a supported handset but not always (call centre agents aren't 100% on the ball with WiFi calling though so you may need to be insistent). NB Roaming and WiFi calling don't work at the same time (not even SMS roaming) so you can't have both.

I've used it in the UK, Russia, France, Dubai and Ghana on CellC and it works fine mostly where WiFi is good... even used it on a Emirates flight recently (was a little flaky though).

USSD, SMS and calls work when enabled. I generally take a LTE WiFi router with put in a local sim with unlimited data and connect my phone to that.

EDIT -

CellC works the moment you turn WFi on... Vodacom, you need to be in Flight mode with WiFi ON

D

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sorry I should have explained better.

I have it on, but how would I know it's being used instead of conventional GSM?

Sayf777

On iphone, look in settings under phone and turn on wifi calling, on android YMMV as some handsets support other don't - notable MTN handsets don't have the option but Sammys from Cellc and Voda should have it somewhere in the menus.

Vodacom prepaid - call them and ask them to activate LTE, VoLTE and WiFi Calling... it should be activated automatically on a supported handset but not always (call centre agents aren't 100% on the ball with WiFi calling though so you may need to be insistent). NB Roaming and WiFi calling don't work at the same time (not even SMS roaming) so you can't have both.

I've used it in the UK, Russia, France, Dubai and Ghana on CellC and it works fine mostly where WiFi is good... even used it on a Emirates flight recently (was a little flaky though).

USSD, SMS and calls work when enabled. I generally take a LTE WiFi router with put in a local sim with unlimited data and connect my phone to that.

EDIT -

CellC works the moment you turn WFi on... Vodacom, you need to be in Flight mode with WiFi ON

D
Fyi on cell c it will work with or without flight mode on as long as you got Wi-Fi access.

You get a phone symbol next to the Wi-Fi signal bars to know you on Wi-Fi calling.

Tested without roaming active as well since I'm on top up and not allowed to apply for roaming.

Cell C have quite a big range of Wi-Fi calling enabled phones just check their website as well as their franchise booklet (for current phones that support it) as the website is not fully updated.

I think only a few phones are not Wi-Fi calling enabled.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Bought a cell C sim today, wifi calling was working within 5 minutes.

Will use it on my next trip overseas to check that it is stable before porting my main number over to it.

CPTGuy

Hi everyone

Background:
I have been using Cell C's Wifi calling without any issues (aside from the occasional call drop) for months from abroad.
I was back in SA for a month and had it disabled and it has not been working for me since I tried connecting again on Sunday 22nd April.
I contacted Cell C support but they simply disabled the feature and re-enabled it again for my number and told me to turn off my phone for 5 mins. There was no change, and I get the following error:
"Error3:No Wi-Fi access, contact Cell C"
I have tested on more than one internet connection on my side and have not been able to connect successfully.

My question:
Is there anyone who is currently successfully using Cell C's Wifi calling feature, either nationally or internationally?
I am trying to determine whether this is a general issue or not in order to know how best to test further.

Thanks

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi CPTGuy

Please PM us the number in question and our team will investigate further.

^SM

Sayf777

Hi everyone

Background:
I have been using Cell C's Wifi calling without any issues (aside from the occasional call drop) for months from abroad.
I was back in SA for a month and had it disabled and it has not been working for me since I tried connecting again on Sunday 22nd April.
I contacted Cell C support but they simply disabled the feature and re-enabled it again for my number and told me to turn off my phone for 5 mins. There was no change, and I get the following error:
"Error3:No Wi-Fi access, contact Cell C"
I have tested on more than one internet connection on my side and have not been able to connect successfully.

My question:
Is there anyone who is currently successfully using Cell C's Wifi calling feature, either nationally or internationally?
I am trying to determine whether this is a general issue or not in order to know how best to test further.

Thanks
No issue with my Wi-Fi calling.

By chance did you update the phone?

CPTGuy

Thanks for the reply Sayf777

Not that I recall, and checking the version, it looks like I'm on a really old firmware version (with no updates available). It's just a Huawei Y6, and has EMUI version 3.1, which appears to have first been released in 2014.

I have messaged Cell C with my number, here's hoping they can assist.

Sayf777

Thanks for the reply Sayf777

Not that I recall, and checking the version, it looks like I'm on a really old firmware version (with no updates available). It's just a Huawei Y6, and has EMUI version 3.1, which appears to have first been released in 2014.

I have messaged Cell C with my number, here's hoping they can assist.
Ah, would not know where to start with that phone. Generally if i have an issue like that first i'd test another cell c sim for wifi calling. If that didnt work i'd bite the bullet and do a factory reset

Sorry to hijack the thread, but speaking of WiFi Calling, does anyone know whether Cell C has any plans to release it on the Huawei P10?

CPTGuy

Hi CPTGuy

Please PM us the number in question and our team will investigate further.

^SM
Hi Cell C

I was impressed with your prompt reply to my forum post (less than 1 hour).
It has now however been almost two days since I sent you my number and email address, please at least confirm receiving it and that you are taking some form of action? ("our team will investigate further")

I am a customer who wants to and needs to use your service, and who requires some assistance in order to be able to do so please.

CPTGuy

To be fair to Cell C, I must update that my Wifi calling has started connecting again. No changes or reboots or anything since it was last not working, the phone was just on charge overnight.

So, thanks Cell C :)