Cell C wifi calling

Sayf777

I could have it the wrong way around, but the firmware I flashed is G925FXXU6ERD3_G925FOJV6ERD2_XFE :)
Ah, if your phone was originally XFA (if it's written on the box) and if you flashed XFE then it would stay on XFA which is Cell C.

But I may be mistaken. The recent A5 2017 I've got from Cell C was XFA.

Praeses

Expert Member
Ah, if your phone was originally XFA (if it's written on the box) and if you flashed XFE then it would stay on XFA which is Cell C.

But I may be mistaken. The recent A5 2017 I've got from Cell C was XFA.
It states XFA on the box as received from MTN - so I flashed XFE to get the wifi calling to work. Maybe they don't stick to a specific XFX among the different phones? Or maybe it doesn't always matter?

whatwhat

Executive Member
I do find the voice quality when doing a wifi call on Cell C really, really terrible these days.

It sort of blanks out for 5-10 seconds before you can start to hear the other person again. I also use the term "hear" very liberally here since it sounds like everyone is underwater. Turning off Wifi calling and doing a normal cell call is much better quality.

Sayf777

I rely on wifi calling at my work place since I get absolutely no mobile signal.

Been working great for me since last year.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I do find the voice quality when doing a wifi call on Cell C really, really terrible these days.

It sort of blanks out for 5-10 seconds before you can start to hear the other person again. I also use the term "hear" very liberally here since it sounds like everyone is underwater. Turning off Wifi calling and doing a normal cell call is much better quality.
Quality of WiFi calling depends on the quality of your Internet connection.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Quality of WiFi calling depends on the quality of your Internet connection.
I have a 1GB fibre connection in Asia, so it's not my internet.

Also get the same bad quality doing wifi calling when in South Africa on a 500MB corporate business fibre line.

Crystal clear calls on the same fibre networks with my Tmobile US sim.

Tector

I have a Galaxy Note 9 on Cell C prepaid. How do I activate WiFi Calling?
Go to your phone app. 3 buttons at top right for settings. Locate wi-fi calling option and set to on. Now restart your phone. If that does not work let me know there is other ways you can try as well

Space_Kriek

Go to your phone app. 3 buttons at top right for settings. Locate wi-fi calling option and set to on. Now restart your phone. If that does not work let me know there is other ways you can try as well
No luck. Dont even have the option of WiFi calling

Tector

No luck. Dont even have the option of WiFi calling
Then it might be that the phone is XFV (Vodacom) and not XFA. Will be able to see this on the box or at software info in settings. Will only work on XFA (Cell C / Telkom / MTN)

Space_Kriek

Then it might be that the phone is XFV (Vodacom) and not XFA. Will be able to see this on the box or at software info in settings. Will only work on XFA (Cell C / Telkom / MTN)
Ahhh yes you are correct. It is XFV as I got it from Vodacom. It also has the Vodacom bloatware on

Tector

Ahhh yes you are correct. It is XFV as I got it from Vodacom. It also has the Vodacom bloatware on
Wi-Fi calling then wont work unless you change the software to XFA. This will also remove the Vodacom bloatware or you can port to Vodacom and have both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling with them instead but that depends on how important it is to you. Cell C shop wont change the software though. You'll either have to do it yourself (good research on this is highly reccomended) or take it in to one of the many cell repair shops. Hope you get this sorted!

Space_Kriek

Wi-Fi calling then wont work unless you change the software to XFA. This will also remove the Vodacom bloatware or you can port to Vodacom and have both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling with them instead but that depends on how important it is to you. Cell C shop wont change the software though. You'll either have to do it yourself (good research on this is highly reccomended) or take it in to one of the many cell repair shops. Hope you get this sorted!
If I change the software I will loose my KNOW and Samsung Pay

Sayf777

There is/was a way on S8 and below without tripping knox but apparently people have tried the same method on S9 and newer and it doesnt work anymore (last i checked which was a few months back).

Tector

If I change the software I will loose my KNOW and Samsung Pay
Yes the KNOX will trip causing Samsung Pay not to work. If you can change it without tripping KNOX then Pay will still work as the region stays the same. Maybe take it to a Samsung shop? They might be able to assist in changing to XFA and not tripping KNOX. But because you are prepaid easiest would be to port from Cell C to Vodacom