Cellphone contract cancellation cost comparison

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How much it costs to cancel your mobile contract

South African mobile contract subscribers who are dissatisfied with their device, customer service, or network quality have the option to cancel their contract before expiry.

However, you should be aware that this can carry a hefty penalty cost.

Buying a phone cash might be cheaper in the long run, but many South Africans cannot afford to put down thousands of rands up-front to pay for a smartphone.

In addition, contracts sometimes offer data, airtime, and SMSs at a discounted rate.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
In the past, i have gotten contracts cancelled due to poor performance but escalating it to ICASA, when the service provider couldn't rectify the issue, they cancelled the contract, BUT they gave me the option to continue paying just the device fee monthly until it was paid off.

Wayne2k

Does this same rules also apply when a person dies or there are other options.

Charlesjjm

Vodacom: The process takes approximately 4 to 7 working days to complete for premature cancellations — from the time the required payment is made, and all documentation is submitted.

No it does not.

I started to request cancellation figures from end of November 2020. I finally got it on 08 January 2021. I sent the form through to Vodacom but the contract was only cancelled on 31 March 2021, 14 days before it would have ended anyway.

When I followed up there was always some excuse, they can find the form or the email, or the person is still working on it, etc.

Lesson learned: Never do business with Vodacom!

Nereus77

My rule is don't cancel contracts. Give 30 days notice, let them expire, then stop paying (putting a stop-order if necessary)...

Cancelling contracts is an escalating nightmare.

Edit: Make sure you get that reference number when you cancel/give notice along with the name of the person you spoke to.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
If you have to pay that money just to get out of the contract, you can just as well stay on it till the end! We need legislation around this! We are being violated sinuously by the cell companies!

Nereus77

If you have to pay that money just to get out of the contract, you can just as well stay on it till the end! We need legislation around this! We are being violated sinuously by the cell companies!
Agreed, there needs to be some consumer protection here.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Damn, MTN are sharks!
When I was much younger, back in the nokia 5110 days, I could not pay my bill for around 6 months. It took me 2 years, endless calls to and from them and around R4500 in total to settle the bill (This for a R110pm contract).

The fun part was I settled the bill with them 4 times. Each time they would tell me it's settled, then a month or 2 later they would call and tell me I owe them R600 in interest, then R420, then R200, then R52, with the last one I insisted I would stay on the phone till they send me proof of settlement (they faxed this to me, 45 minute wait).

They called me back at least 8 times after that, each with a different amount I owe them, from R54 to last call R420. Each time I would fax them the settlement papers back and they would leave me alone for a few weeks before calling and threatening me again.

Guess which service provider I have not used since...

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
It was supposed to be catered for in the CPA, but because the ANC are useless at everything, they got it wrong.

The original intention was that you would only pay for the remaining device cost and could not be charged any penalty fees for the contract portion.

In theory that works fine, the networks dont like it because its easier to make income projections against contract clients than the variable natured pre-paid clients.