Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Came across this article this morning/

Checkers will launch dinner kits next week – here’s what R119.99 will get you

- Checkers will launch meal kits in its stores from Wednesday, August 23rd.

- Shoppers will get boxes with ingredients and instructions for chef-designed meals.

- It is the first retailer to enter the meal-kit market, which is seeing strong growth in South Africa.

Checkers will launch meal kits in its stores on Wednesday.

It has hired chefs to design gourmet dinners, and shoppers will be able to buy all the ingredients for the meal packaged together, along with a step-by-step recipe card as well as a QR code to a how-to video.

Meal kits have taken off in a big way in South Africa, with UCook and Daily Dish expanding rapidly in recent months. The two providers deliver the ingredients and instructions for three to four meals a week directly to their subscribers.

Three years after launching from a garage in Cape Town, the biggest meal kit provider, UCook, is now close to delivering 100,000 meals a month. It is expected to hit R79.5 million in turnover by the end of the year.

Checkers is the first retailer to offer an in-store service, with Woolworths expected to also enter the market soon.

The Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits are priced between R119.99 and R179.99 per box (with enough food for two people). UCook charges R630 for a box with three meals for two people; Daily Dish's "classic" box for two people holds four meals for R870. On per-head per-meal basis, that means UCook comes in at R105 – while Daily Dish costs R109. Both include delivery costs.

Four different recipes, including a vegetarian option, will be available in Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores each week.

There are a total of 16 meal kits in the Ready to Chef range, which include:

- Butter chicken curry with rotis
- Cauliflower cottage pie
- Asian beef and sesame seed salad
- Mushroom, pea and mint risotto
- Beef stroganoff with zucchini spaghetti
- Sweet and sour pork with jasmine rice
- Biltong niçoise salad
- Sweet potato and lentil dahl curry with buttered naan (vegetarian)

The Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits will be available from Wednesday 23 August.

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/checkers-will-launch-dinner-kits-next-week-heres-what-r11999-will-get-you-2018-8

IMG_7083.JPG

IMG_7084.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Minutes later I walk into a Checkers & see this, 2 days before but was due to go on sale:

IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7076.JPG

Clever concept (for a major SA retailer).

Lupus

Honorary Master
Is that two meals for R119? Doesn't seem that cheap in the long run.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Each kit serves 2 people yes, all ingredients provided.
I'm sure if you got the ingredients separately you'd save a bit more money, yes it's convenience but at R119 for two meals seems a bit steep.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Why can't we multi-quote replies anymore? Or how do we?

Anyway, I do all the cooking at home, and I feed the entire family of 6 on that amount daily. This is a great idea, and doubtless will sell, in the same way that no deposit, 30% balloon and 40% residual on new cars sells like hotcakes as well. People are thick and lazy.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Why can't we multi-quote replies anymore? Or how do we?

Anyway, I do all the cooking at home, and I feed the entire family of 6 on that amount daily. This is a great idea, and doubtless will sell, in the same way that no deposit, 30% balloon and 40% residual on new cars sells like hotcakes as well. People are thick and lazy.
I will probably buy some and leave one or two in the fridge for these days when I come back home past 8pm, still have work to do so I end up spending R200 on delivery.

Will be faster and cheaper but I guess I’m thick and lazy.

cool_gi

120 bucks for a home cooked meal is a bit steep.
the idea is excellent and im sure they will find many customers.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Hell of a price ? Making meatballs and spag tonight for 2 with trimmings at R38.

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
There is a novelty value to these home chef type boxes. It is not supposed to be the affordable 2 meal choice. People who buy this buy it because they like cooking more than they like shopping and wondering what they should be making tonight.

I ordered uCook for about three weeks and it was awesome to get your whole week's food perfectly portioned and delivered at the atart of the week, and knowing I will be making some tasty new "chef-quality" dishes. No more going to the shop from work wondering what to cook and ending up with having to buy many ingredients just to use a bit of each for a meal.

At about R220 per meal for 2 it wasnt cheap, but at least it was delivered and spared me the shopping and food idea part. I stopped after 3 weeks and try it every other month for a week.

I bought the Checkers Mushroom, pea & Mint Risotto box today as it was marked 50% off (so down to R60 from R119) to see how it is. The box has nothing special in...a bag with the right portion of risotto rice, an onion, one clove of garlic, a portion bag of peas, about 75gram piece of cheese, a bag of mushroom, and a small bag of mint leaves. Have to supply own 125ml of white wine. Not really worth R119 imo and no meat. Will see how it goes.

The other recipies also look a bit plain. But compared to uCook the price is about right, at least you can shop around and buy when they have something nice.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We'll, for a once a week or so it's not that badly priced, but really, butter chicken curry, cauliflower cottage pie, sweet and sour pork, beef stroganoff.... we're not talking brain surgery here.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I tried Ucook for a few months last year. It's pretty neat. Exactly the right amount of incredients you need. Clear instructions on a durable cards you can collect. Only three meals a week which suited me. Typically 30-50 minutes. Good food and taste. And you learn to cook.

Cons: you need to take delivery on Monday at a fixed address. Not cheap. Not always in the mood for the effort.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That kind of money to still cook it yourself?

Exactly why I never bothered with uCook in the first place as the concept seems utterly daft to me when you can buy the stuff yourself for less money.

Instead I pay R55 per person for two to have food already cooked and delivered to my door.

That’s enough to feed two adults and a toddler most nights and still have left overs for lunch the next day.