Chrome vs Firefox vs IE vs Safari

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
After more than a decade I ditched Opera earlier this year. It was too slow and the new one is just a rebadged Chrome so stuff 'em.

Just wish Chrome would enable tab previewing / taskbar sneak peek again.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I've tried and failed to get into Chrome. I really don't understand the appeal. It doesn't look very good, doesn't have a dedicated search bar that is able to specify the search engine, doesn't support RSS feeds, has settings/preferences that are very unintuitive imo, has less accessible bookmarks and it just doesn't look that nice.

Firefox with the Flagfox, Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Flashgot addons, a nice persona and RSS feeds for your favourite websites is the ultimate web browser.

siraman

Expert Member
Firefox with the Flagfox, Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Flashgot addons, a nice persona and RSS feeds for your favourite websites is the ultimate web browser.
Chrome has all those add-on's(extensions) except flashgot as far as I know.Anyway I'll hide behind the numbers and say bull to the claim that Firefox is the ultimate web browser.:p

PhireSide

Executive Member
Strange that IE is more popular than Firefox on myBB? I would have expected the reverse.

I'm a Chrome user, does everything I need it to. I used to use Firefox back in the day but the memory leak issues put me off, and I changed to Chrome. Not looked back as there is nothing I miss from FF to be honest.

Toitjie

Expert Member
I've tried and failed to get into Chrome. I really don't understand the appeal. It doesn't look very good, doesn't have a dedicated search bar that is able to specify the search engine, doesn't support RSS feeds, has settings/preferences that are very unintuitive imo, has less accessible bookmarks and it just doesn't look that nice.

Everything you have mentioned is more than possible in Chrome, and done better, in my opinion :)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Everything you have mentioned is more than possible in Chrome, and done better, in my opinion :)
How do I add a dedicated search bar to Chrome? What extension do you use to send downloads to an external download manager?

Toitjie

Expert Member
How do I add a dedicated search bar to Chrome? What extension do you use to send downloads to an external download manager?
Why have dedicated search bars? just type bing.com and tab and itll search bing, same works for facebook, twitter, etc.

ebendl

Expert Member
I also use Chrome and love it, except for two things:

a) Memory hog - much more memory than Firefox (though it is faster)
b) Google forcing me to use Chrome to use Google Hangouts. We use Google Apps at work and I really don't appreciate the fact that Google forced me to use Chrome to use the group chat & video functionality in Hangouts (I could have kept Google Talk in GMail but then I'd be unable to use these two features).

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Where does Tapatalk fall in the ranking of browsers used for MyBB? Somewhere within the unaccounted for 1.52%?

kaaskop

Expert Member
I've switched to chrome from firefox. I still think firefox is the real deal but chrome is faster.

As a photo freak i download a lot of photos and on some photo storage sites firefox doesn't save the photo from the cache but download the photo from scratch. It remembers each url when u "save as" and when the imagehost url changes you have to browse to the directory again to save.

Firefox on my notebook these days takes about 30 seconds to load. Its probably all the plugins i got loaded but still its not cool.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Why have dedicated search bars? just type bing.com and tab and itll search bing, same works for facebook, twitter, etc.
So I need to type the name of the site I want to search every single time I search? Seems much slower than a simple drop down menu. Does your method work for Youtube, Amazon, eBay, torrent sites and Wolfram Alpha?

BlaQ_PhoeniX

So I need to type the name of the site I want to search every single time I search? Seems much slower than a simple drop down menu. Does your method work for Youtube, Amazon, eBay, torrent sites and Wolfram Alpha?
You don't need to type the full name. For me I just go "w<tab>search term<enter>" and it searches wikipedia. "wo<tab>search term<enter>" and it searches wolfram-alpha. I don't know about you, but that is much more intuitive and easier than having to move my hand off my keyboard, onto my mouse, click a dropdown, search the dropdown for the site I want to search, select it, move my hand back onto the keyboard and then finally search.

Totempole

Expert Member
Firefox is my favourite mainly because it looks like IE6 and hopefully doesn't spy on you, unlike Chrome.

PhireSide

Executive Member
All you Firefox fans, have you ever heard of Waterfox? Very similar to Firefox but with native 64-bit support and a few other tweaks. It used to be on the same version level as Firefox, but they have slowed down development (It is still at v18.0.1)

I used it for a while, performed wonderfully on my SSD :)

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Petec

Expert Member
For those of us who do lots of online (website) work as well as care about security and have the adblock-plus etc addons, Firefox has utterly lost the plot.
It's utterly unusable and freezes every minute. Craps itsef so badly, my entire system hangs.
Since moving to Chrome 3 months ago, I have exactly the same add ons, do exactly the same amount of work and have exactly the same horrible :) amount of tabs constantly open.

How many times has Chrome frozen on me? Zero.
How many times have I closed/restarted it? Not many, and that was because I had to system restart because of software (Windows) updates requiring a restart.

Basically I abuse the crap out of my browsers, and Firefox is to Chrome like a Tom Thumb firecracker is to a M.O.A.B

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
For those of us who do lots of online (website) work as well as care about security and have the adblock-plus etc addons, Firefox has utterly lost the plot.
It's utterly unusable and freezes every minute. Craps itsef so badly, my entire system hangs.
Since moving to Chrome 3 months ago, I have exactly the same add ons, do exactly the same amount of work and have exactly the same horrible :) amount of tabs constantly open.

How many times has Chrome frozen on me? Zero.
How many times have I closed/restarted it? Not many, and that was because I had to system restart because of software (Windows) updates requiring a restart.

Basically I abuse the crap out of my browsers, and Firefox is to Chrome like a Tom Thumb firecracker is to a M.O.A.B
My Firefox is loaded with add-ons and doesn't hang or crash. And I frequently have many tabs open. Maybe one of your add-ons was causing issues.