Complex Levies - What are you paying?

dyllindd

Hi Everyone,

I have been messing with the idea of buying myself a holiday home. But after some advice from current and ex owners I would rather purchase a property in my area (Rivonia/Edenburg/Morningside).

I have been looking at a few options in complexes in the area, however, I can't believe how absurd complexes have gotten with levies and additional fees. I swear they are becoming worse than car dealers with all of their "on-the-road", admin and delivery fees.

If you're comfortable to share, how much levies are you currently paying in your complex and in what area are you based?

As an example, I viewed a property recently and this was a breakdown of the levies for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse. The electricity is low due to the property being vacated.

1627842993890.png

The property is currently for sale in the R1 850 000 region.

Our current complex in Edenburg charges about R2000 in levies including domestic effluent. Our current electricity bill is approx R2800. So I assume it would be about the same for this complex.

Do you consider this as expensive or am I out of touch with current costs that are being charged in complexes?

Thank you in advance.

Gazbal

Expert Member
How many units in the complex? If very small I can understand the high levy, a major portion of which is normally for 24hour guarding.

Any extras such as swimming pools, tennis courts or parks inside complex?

Quintrix

Just as a first reaction, R5000 seems a bit excessive but there are many factors that play a role. Assuming this is sectional title

Age of complex - older cost more
Size of complex - smaller cost more
Type of access control - 24h manned security post?
Plaster or facebrick
Flat or pitch roof
Does it include water - some older complexes don't have individual water meters.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Try and ask a more detailed levy invoice.

As in what makes the levies up? Is sewerage included as an example

Whats the managing agent charges? If its more than 5% of the total levies, its a sign of getting ripped off

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Just under 5K is VERY high IMHO, does not even include the Reserve fund levy. I would request the last 5 years's AFS, and all notices to members in the same time period, study it in order to discover why. It's easier just to keep walking.
iu

ahmedomar

We currently paying Average of R2k pm in a 40 unit complex,

The issues of sectional title is pushing me away from this set up but is also forcing me to consider the pros and cons,

Is owning freehold in a small complex better then sectional title ownership?

Pho3nix

The Legend
I pay around R3k total, including water and lights. Levy alone is R1350 or so.

dyllindd

How many units in the complex? If very small I can understand the high levy, a major portion of which is normally for 24hour guarding.

Any extras such as swimming pools, tennis courts or parks inside complex?
Hi Gazbal, 15 units in that complex. No extras.

22 Units in our current complex with swimming pool.

ThatGuy_ZA

Wow, that seems very steep.

I live in a block of 21 flats in the Southern Suburbs of CT. We pay +-R1800/month in levies which excludes water and electricity but it does include 24/7 monitored CCTV and armed response. Our body corp took the approach of charging higher monthly levies to lower any special levies should the need for major repairs arise. We have replaced the roof, repainted the complex and installed new water meters and we only had to pay a small special levy for the roof so I'm not complaining.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
We currently paying Average of R2k pm in a 40 unit complex,

The issues of sectional title is pushing me away from this set up but is also forcing me to consider the pros and cons,

Is owning freehold in a small complex better then sectional title ownership?
We own full title in a security estate with 64 units, with a Home Owners Association, levy of R720/month. We have two full time gardeners/maintenance guys and perimeter security (full off-site monitoring and armed reaction, no guards on site).

At our last agm, we decided to keep the levy unchanged precisely due to it getting out of hand in other places.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I live in the cheapest complex in Somerset West, I doubt there is anything cheaper than ours
It is valued at around R700k I would guess, and R100k extra if you are lucky to have a garage as well

My levy is now around R1200 a month which includes upkeep of the yard like mowing and cleaning, insurance on building including geysers, painting the exterior every 7 years, armed response including patrolling into our complex twice a night, refuse removal, water, sewage etc.

My municipal account each month from COCT is R220 and I buy R500 prepaid electricity a month.

So I'm about 2 grand for everything each month, if it were anymore I would have to either give up beer or go live in my caravan fulltime

Cius

Executive Member
I am in 4 bed 2 bath sectional title unit, face brick but with 24 hour guarding for the 70 odd units. Half our admin levy is basically security costs.

Levy R1203
Water R377
Common property electricity R166
My electricity: R1200
CSOS: R47
Sewerage: 545
Reserve: R529

Total comes to about R4000 but that includes my water and electricity usage obviously which is 1600 odd. In addition I pay property tax separately of about R800 I think.

Tman543

75m2 place with 2 bed 1 bath in 120 unit complex , No security on site. Only card access control. One handy man doing basic gardening and cleaning of complex.

Total levies R1400 (Everything). Electricity and water is prepaid which is around R2000.

So in total the complex gets about 168k p/m to maintain the place.

Corelli

Expert Member
My parents pay R1400 a year for a complex wit electrified fencing etc.

R5000 a month seems a real ripoff.

A major mountain estate with armed guards etc in Cape Town with houses R10 mil plus only charges R3300pm

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
My parents pay R1400 a year for a complex wit electrified fencing etc.

R5000 a month seems a real ripoff.

A major mountain estate with armed guards etc in Cape Town with houses R10 mil plus only charges R3300pm
R116 per month levy?
For a shack maybe

syntax

Executive Member
Those levies are insane. We pay R1050, but it is face brick and no security guard.

Space

Levy R1330 per month incl water, sewerage, refuse removal.
Municipal rates R236 to R304 per month.

sectional title 2-bedroom / 1 bathroom, 60 square metre flat, in block of 8 flats with offices below.

near Durbanville Medi-Clinic (Cape Town Northern Suburbs)

managing agents = Marite

Last edited:

Space

Those levies are insane. We pay R1050, but it is face brick and no security guard.
you say that as if it is a bad thing - fired face brick is superior to plastered "Corobrik Maxi's" or cement cinder block bricks,