Connect OVHD decoder to existing DSTV installation

1gascan

Hi Guys,

Some help or advice please?

I have DSTV infrastructure at home, and would like to hook up my OVHD to this infrastructure. My DSTV is disconnected, so not using the DSTV decoder.
I have read from other posts that this is indeed possible, but I am battling somewhat to "plug and play" this setup.

I haven't fiddled with the LNB. All that I did was remove the LNB cable from the Explora decoder, and plug it into the OVHD decoder, but when I switch the decoder on, it says "no satellite found".

As I said, all I did was plug in the LNB cable (from the DSTV switch that came with the Explora) into the OVHD decoder. Do I need to replace the DSTV switch? Does the DSTV switch only work with DSTV decodes or will OVHD work on this switch? If OVHD will work with the switch, do I need to change the port that leads from the switch to the decoder?

I have a Dual LNB that feeds into the DSTV switch.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Your dish needs to be re-aligned (pointed in a different direction).

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Thanks - so only rotate dish - no need to rotate the LNB itself?
I'm not sure about the DSTV switch, but preferable the cable from the LNB should go directly to the OVHD decoder.

The LNB will move with the dish, when you rotate it, since it is pointed at the front of the dish for optimal reception.

1gascan

I will try rotate and see how it goes.
I need the switch (or need to replace it), because the LNB has 2 cables and the decoder only receives 1 cable.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I will try rotate and see how it goes.
I need the switch (or need to replace it), because the LNB has 2 cables and the decoder only receives 1 cable.
The two cables on the LNB is to support DSTV extra view (or a second decoder).
You actually only need one of those cables for OVHD.
Try connecting it directly, or alternatively run a new cable from one of the outlets on the LNB straight to the OVHD decoder.

1gascan

Ok will try that.
I was under the impression HD viewing can only be done when both LNB cables are in use. I obviously do not know much about the technologies...

Thanks once again for your advice.

User123123

Hi Guys,

I have DSTV infrastructure at home, and would like to hook up my OVHD to this infrastructure. My DSTV is disconnected, so not using the DSTV decoder.
I have read from other posts that this is indeed possible, but I am battling somewhat to "plug and play" this setup.

I haven't fiddled with the LNB. All that I did was remove the LNB cable from the Explora decoder, and plug it into the OVHD decoder, but when I switch the decoder on, it says "no satellite found".

As I said, all I did was plug in the LNB cable (from the DSTV switch that came with the Explora) into the OVHD decoder. Do I need to replace the DSTV switch? Does the DSTV switch only work with DSTV decodes or will OVHD work on this switch? If OVHD will work with the switch, do I need to change the port that leads from the switch to the decoder?

Hi Guys,

hi there, by any chance did u fix the issue?, I’m having the same problem, please help