Connectify Virtual WiFi

nadimm

Expert Member
I'm thinking of getting the 8ta 10GB special.

Thing is I want to be able to share the 3g usb connection over my current wifi network. I have a desktop (Win7, always on) connected via ethernet cable to my router (WAG120N). I want multiple devices to be able to connect to the internet - I assume this rules out the ad-hoc solutions I've seen.

Initially I thought this would be simple - google doesn't seem to think so. However I did come across a way to create virtual hotspots on Win 7 using connectify

What do you guys think?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Windows Internet Connection Sharing should work. Lots of tutorials out there.

EDIT: Never mind...thats a stupid suggestion...won't work with non MS based devices. :(

nadimm

Expert Member
Windows Internet Connection Sharing should work. Lots of tutorials out there.

EDIT: Never mind...thats a stupid suggestion...won't work with non MS based devices. :(

:(

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Pada

Executive Member
HavocXphere: non-MS based devices should still be able to connect to the Ad-Hoc WiFi AP. Lately I've just seen that the Nintendo Wii was unable to connect to it, where as the phones worked just fine.

I think that Wii issue was just caused by an incompatibility with the WiFi protocols. eg. the Ad-Hoc AP being hosted only for 802.11n, when the Wii only supported 802.11b/g.

nadimm

Expert Member
HavocXphere: non-MS based devices should still be able to connect to the Ad-Hoc WiFi AP. Lately I've just seen that the Nintendo Wii was unable to connect to it, where as the phones worked just fine.

I think that Wii issue was just caused by an incompatibility with the WiFi protocols. eg. the Ad-Hoc AP being hosted only for 802.11n, when the Wii only supported 802.11b/g.

I'll give it a shot when I have a modem to test

SLi-Man

Initially I thought this would be simple - google doesn't seem to think so. However I did come across a way to create virtual hotspots on Win 7 using connectify

I'm also looking into the same solution.
I tested connectify by making a wifi hotspot using my lan connection. Connected my iPad and worked great.
I'm moving this weekend and am also looking to get 8ta 10Gb bundle but will first test the 3Gb R149 package to see if I can make a hotspot using my 3G connection.

Will keep you up to date after the weekend.

nadimm

Expert Member
I'm also looking into the same solution.
I tested connectify by making a wifi hotspot using my lan connection. Connected my iPad and worked great.
I'm moving this weekend and am also looking to get 8ta 10Gb bundle but will first test the 3Gb R149 package to see if I can make a hotspot using my 3G connection.

Will keep you up to date after the weekend.

Thanks

nadimm

Expert Member
Works well. Very simple to setup. Sharing my wifi adsl via the connectify hot spot. Will test a usb 3g modem.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Open command prompt and type

Netsh WLAN start hostednetwork

Or use virtual router.. Better than connectify

DeathOnSight

Just for informational purposes,Connectify's current downloadable app also supports Vista and XP.I was really having trouble setting up an ad-hoc connection with xp+3g modem+built in laptop wifi,but using connectify made it really easy

Earther

I'm using this method at the moment and it works great. Just Google for Windows 7 virtual AP settings and stick in wireless network card in your machine.

Sent from my HTC Desire

nadimm

Expert Member

Ok. I'll try that out.

Just need to get my hands on a 3g modem.

shovenose

I installed a slash down version of xp on my pc in a virtual machine and enabled the routing function. Nmap works perfectly now without nagging about the mobile connection. Now all I do is bridge the tap 32 adapter where all the other pcs can access it and its will get routed as well.

One thing virtual stuff can't do that's increase you underlining connection. Still got my 7.2 bandwidth giving cfos speed a test with traffick shaping.