Considering buying a laptop

ColonelJAck

My PC is giving me intermittent problems.
It is due to be upgraded / replaced.
I usually do quite a bit of gaming, but lately I've been gaming on consoles.

Taking this into consideration, I thought may be a good idea to get a laptop instead of another desktop.
Are there any laptops in the R7000 range that would allow a fair amount of gaming?
I'm not expecting BF4 or COD Ghosts on highest res or anything, but maybe something that can handle fairly recent games on medium res.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

DominionZA

Executive Member
My PC is giving me intermittent problems.
It is due to be upgraded / replaced.
I usually do quite a bit of gaming, but lately I've been gaming on consoles.

Taking this into consideration, I thought may be a good idea to get a laptop instead of another desktop.
Are there any laptops in the R7000 range that would allow a fair amount of gaming?
I'm not expecting BF4 or COD Ghosts on highest res or anything, but maybe something that can handle fairly recent games on medium res.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Before I got my Alienware, I was using a Dell XPS 15. It was a great notebook and am actually on the lookout for the newer Haswell model of it.
It pretty much handled anything I threw at it, with the exception of more modern games where I would have to dial down the settings a bit. Did not stop me playing on it though.
The new model will set you back about R15k, but I have seen the model I had (Ivybridge i7) on Bob for between R7k and R9k a few times.

I also migrated to console for my gaming needs. Only really play PC with strategy games. Everything else is Xbox (and sometimes PS3 which is mainly a dust gatherer).

I have an Alienware because it is just a fantastic workhorse. Dunno when last I played a game on it :)

ColonelJAck

Been looking on Gumtree.
Maybe I should consider a 2nd hand unit.
I've seen a couple of models with 512Mb and 1Gb graphics memory.
I suppose these would allow a fair level of gaming.
Both models that I looked at were i5 units.