Contemplating a Vasectomy-any advice?

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
Thanks for the advice!

Will talk to the wife and see what our options are, luckily I still have a year before the Marina comes out.

Is there a age/weight limit before this needs to be done? I'm almost 40 and I have a few extra pounds around the belly.
Why wait? Go now and by the time the merina comes out your pipe is nice and clean...

Im going for my consultation on the 21st of September.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Dont do it.
You can get a good 10 days a month of unprotected sex with 0 risk of pregnancy.

Condoms and other for the rest.

bokdrol

Executive Member
Dont do it.

? You one crazy troll

Husband had it done some time ago. Really minimal pain reported and everything is the same after that.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Search "vasectomy reversal" and make sure you understand why there's a boom in private clinics that focus specifically on attempted vasectomy reversal. If everyone was happy with it there wouldn't be such a huge demand for attempted reversal.

Did mine in July, slight discomfort for a few days but nothing major. I was at work the next day.

Ejaculation doesn't feel different. Sex increased. Expecting a further increase once all clear is given.

Biggest irritation was the stitches.
Back at work the next day you say?
ooooooh
:whistling:

OCP

Expert Member
Search "vasectomy reversal" and make sure you understand why there's a boom in private clinics that focus specifically on attempted vasectomy reversal. If everyone was happy with it there wouldn't be such a huge demand for attempted reversal.
There are a lot more men getting vasectomies hence the increase in reversals.

Why is this relevant to the OP?

Arzy

Honorary Master
There are a lot more men getting vasectomies hence the increase in reversals.

Why is this relevant to the OP?
I'd also attribute it to the increase in the number of divorces. You make a decision with spouse, something goes wrong and you separate, new fling wants kids.

But yeah, I doubt reversals are due to dissatisfaction with the procedure.

OCP

Expert Member
I'd also attribute it to the increase in the number of divorces. You make a decision with spouse, something goes wrong and you separate, new fling wants kids.

Yes - agreed; very good point.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I don't get the thinking. If they're satisfied with the procedure why such demand to have it reversed? Each city in the UK has several private clinics specializing only in attempted vasectomy reversals, so demand must be significant.

Or are you simply referring to the clinical experience of the snip?

Arzy

Honorary Master
I don't get the thinking. If they're satisfied with the procedure why such demand to have it reversed? Each city in the UK has several private clinics specializing only in attempted vasectomy reversals, so demand must be significant.

Or are you simply referring to the clinical experience of the snip?
See my post about divorce. My theory is that reversals increase because new wives/girlfriends want kids whereas you took the Snip decision with your current spouse.

Cius

Executive Member
Hi All

My wife's Mirena is coming out next year and we are contemplating which of us should get the "snip" for lack of a better word. The Dr. indicated that it is safer for me to get it as women carries a bigger health risk after the op. Having 2 kids in this crazy world is enough and I don't want to take any chances.

Any of you guys had these? any advice will be appreciated:
*Is it painful after the op and how long does it take to recover?
*does ejaculating feel different?
*does it have a big influence on your sex-life?
*anything else I should take into consideration or be on the lookout for?
It is better for the man to get it done. Far more complicated and less sure for the women.

I was the unlucky 1 in 100 guy who had a haematoma down there. Was absolute agony for a couple days and sensitive for up to 3 weeks. Took almost 3 months for the clot to eventually dissipate. In retrospect, was still worth it. I did not realize how much stress my wife was under that we may fall pregnant again and once I went through with it it really improved our relationship and reduced the stress on her.
Nope
In my case it had a very positive effect.
Nope, not that I can think of. Just don't go off other contraceptives until the doc gives you the all clear. You need to test a few months after.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Hi All

My wife's Mirena is coming out next year and we are contemplating which of us should get the "snip" for lack of a better word. The Dr. indicated that it is safer for me to get it as women carries a bigger health risk after the op. Having 2 kids in this crazy world is enough and I don't want to take any chances.

Did mine 2 years ago. Very little pain. Was in for 1/2 day at home rest of the time. No difference in sex drive etc.

4ftersh0ck

Dont do it.

Interesting point of view. My wife has just installed an app on her phone to keep track of her monthly story, and as you say, there are times in the cycle when it is safe to go unprotected. I read lots of reviews with people saying they do this and haven't had any accidents.

So I suppose the idea is to track the dates properly for a good 3 months to see accurately when the fertile/non fertile days are

Craig

Honorary Master
Interesting point of view. My wife has just installed an app on her phone to keep track of her monthly story, and as you say, there are times in the cycle when it is safe to go unprotected. I read lots of reviews with people saying they do this and haven't had any accidents.

So I suppose the idea is to track the dates properly for a good 3 months to see accurately when the fertile/non fertile days are
After having our second while the SO was on the pill, I would have been to **** scared to even think of that method, never mind risk it.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Both wife and I are so scared of having another that she may also still go despite me being done now. No thought even being given to going off the pill.

twaatie

Hi All

Just do it, quick and easy

Lots of medical aids cover everything, just confirm with medical aid.

Did mine a few years ago, no difference to pre snip days