Contemplating a Vasectomy-any advice?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
After having our second while the SO was on the pill, I would have been to **** scared to even think of that method, never mind risk it.
You think that's bad, we never wanted kids, my wife was on the injection and got pregnant through it :)

After the first one was born she kept on nagging that she wanted another. A few months after the birth of the second I made the appointment myself to have the snip done. :p She wasn't really phased, just agreed with me that two are enough.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I don't get the thinking. If they're satisfied with the procedure why such demand to have it reversed? Each city in the UK has several private clinics specializing only in attempted vasectomy reversals, so demand must be significant.

Or are you simply referring to the clinical experience of the snip?
If you don't want kids, you don't want kids. If you change your mind later, that's what reversals are for.

What's your issue?

Craig

Honorary Master
You think that's bad, we never wanted kids, my wife was on the injection and got pregnant through it :)

After the first one was born she kept on nagging that she wanted another. A few months after the birth of the second I made the appointment myself to have the snip done. :p She wasn't really phased, just agreed with me that two are enough.
That's a bit rough. After number two her told doctor told us we are still young, he would not advise us to do the vasectomy. So I went to another doctor. Two kids are crazy enough, can't afford any more.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
That's a bit rough. After number two her told doctor told us we are still young, he would not advise us to do the vasectomy. So I went to another doctor. Two kids are crazy enough, can't afford any more.
Nah, they're my life, I'd never change a thing now :)

The same thing happened to us as well, the doctor/therapist/whateveritscalled sat with us for almost an hour. I almost told him "This is my ballsack, I can do with it as I please" :)

Craig

Honorary Master
Nah, they're my life, I'd never change a thing now :)

The same thing happened to us as well, the doctor/therapist/whateveritscalled sat with us for almost an hour. I almost told him "This is my ballsack, I can do with it as I please" :)
True.

Pitbull

Verboten

Had a girl, when she was almost 2 we got pregnant again with the boy. Only wanted two. 3 years later wife falls pregnant again, Ok, 3 is it then we thought... Turned out to be twins. Had her tubes tied during the birth of the twins via C-Section.

Last edited:

scudsucker

Expert Member
Do I need a referral from a GP, or can I just choose a urologist at random and make an appointment?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Interesting point of view. My wife has just installed an app on her phone to keep track of her monthly story, and as you say, there are times in the cycle when it is safe to go unprotected. I read lots of reviews with people saying they do this and haven't had any accidents.

So I suppose the idea is to track the dates properly for a good 3 months to see accurately when the fertile/non fertile days are
Would you ask a woman to tie up her tubes for the same reason?

Doing the 10 day window for 10 years now without any issues. Only issue is that when she's most in the mood, its also the period of ovulation.

4ftersh0ck

Would you ask a woman to tie up her tubes for the same reason?

Doing the 10 day window for 10 years now without any issues. Only issue is that when she's most in the mood, its also the period of ovulation.
No, it was always going to be me getting the procedure, being less invasive etc. But I just can't bring myself to do it.

How do you track the 10 day period haha?

Devo1

In the same boat as OP.

Our second child is now 12 weeks old and I need to go see the doc for the referral to the urologist.

Been delaying for a while. Read everything there is to read and even though it is clear that it is a routine procedure and almost painless, my body still shivers from the thought of doing it.

Dunno why.

Slight thread revival! I finally took the plunge and will be 'done' on Friday morning at the advanced surgical day centre in town.

The question is: The Urologist asked me during the consultation if I would prefer local or general anaesthetic?

I said general. Now I see the medical aid authorization states "injection for nerve block". This translates to local right?

So does the local anaesthetic hurt when being administered?

And if I survive this numbing, how does it feel while they are working down there?

tia

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have a mate who underwent something called an open-ended vasectomy. I understand that the Urologist cuts the sperm-carrying tube but only ties-off the end that leads further on to the prostate or whatever, leaving the end coming from the testicles open. Apparently this resolves issues with feelings of pressure etc reported by some men in the testicles, with little to no side effects.

Craig

Honorary Master
Slight thread revival! I finally took the plunge and will be 'done' on Friday morning at the advanced surgical day centre in town.

The question is: The Urologist asked me during the consultation if I would prefer local or general anaesthetic?

I said general. Now I see the medical aid authorization states "injection for nerve block". This translates to local right?

So does the local anaesthetic hurt when being administered?

And if I survive this numbing, how does it feel while they are working down there?

tia
I took general unaesthetic, didn't want to be awake when they are working down there, don't think my nerves are strong enough. It will be over in a flash, and besides feeling slightly numb there for a few days there will be close to no pain at all.

Devo1

I took general unaesthetic, didn't want to be awake when they are working down there, don't think my nerves are strong enough. It will be over in a flash, and besides feeling slightly numb there for a few days there will be close to no pain at all.

Yeah that it why I also asked for the general anaesthetic, but looks like I will be doing it awake!

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
I was awake and I think it was the better choice. It hurts but only a little bit and only for half a second. They then wait a bit and start.

The procedure feels "weird" but not sore at all. When they were done I got up, drank my juice, got in my bakkie and drove myself home and had a beer outside.