Contemplating a Vasectomy-any advice?

Wobster

Can I belatedly hi-jack the thread? Looking for a recommendation for a good urologist to do this. My closest hospital is Wilgeheuwel, so Drs Bell, van Graan or van der Walt. But I generally can't stand this hospital and typically use Sandton Mediclinic (Drs Vickers and Steyn). Anybody had any experiences with any of these docs - good or bad - I've never seen any of them so am going in blind.

GoB

Expert Member
Consider collecting some tadpoles and store them in your freezer in case you change your mind about having more kids. Would this work? :unsure:

leontjie

I Had sucecsfull Vasectomy 2 years ago, no regrets, but recently wife was 2 weeks late (prob due to stress or something) Part of me was excited for the lil miracle to beat the odds against the vasectomy. But was false alarm.

Cr419

Executive Member
I Had sucecsfull Vasectomy 2 years ago, no regrets, but recently wife was 2 weeks late (prob due to stress or something) Part of me was excited for the lil miracle to beat the odds against the vasectomy. But was false alarm.
I had mine 5 years ago, that would probably have me close to tears....

Cius

Expert Member
I did it a while back. Had the bad outcome where a haemotoma formed. Was the most painful two days of my life, but in retrospect still worthwhile. Happens to like 1 to 2% of guys that have it done.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Can I belatedly hi-jack the thread? Looking for a recommendation for a good urologist to do this. My closest hospital is Wilgeheuwel, so Drs Bell, van Graan or van der Walt. But I generally can't stand this hospital and typically use Sandton Mediclinic (Drs Vickers and Steyn). Anybody had any experiences with any of these docs - good or bad - I've never seen any of them so am going in blind.
Haven't used those but I went to Sunninghill Hospital which is not too far from there, Dr Cornish. Was a pretty painless process, he was generally on time for appointments, I'd recommend him.

OCP

Expert Member
I'd keep a close eye on the postman...

Cr419

Executive Member
Just had mine done this morning... hoping for a pleasant-ish weekend ahead.

:)
Remember you will not be sterile immediately, do it as much as you can until you test to ensure you empty you tubes properly and don't skip your test like some do.

fruitbat

Remember you will not be sterile immediately, do it as much as you can until you test to ensure you empty you tubes properly and don't skip your test like some do.
100%... wifes IUD is due for replacement in July next year... interesting how she was more worried than i was this morning. ;-)

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
I had mine done by Dr Bell from Wilgeheuwel. Although I initially went to go see him at Wilgeheuwel he actually does the procedure at the Netcare Constantia Day clinic (as it is cheaper than booking you into the Wilgeheuwel hospital). Procedure was a breeze and was in and out within half a day with no major pain or issues.

As mentioned above for the next couple of months after the procedure you still have to use protection (or beat your own meat) to get rid of the reminants and then go back and do the semen test and they will tell you it is all clear or not.

It is actually very simple procedure with no problems.

Cr419

Executive Member
I don't know a single guy that had pain afterwards, and I know many that went, even myself. I was numb down there for a day or two, then nothing ever again.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Not a good idea.

Found this for you. And that's not even touching the important things.
Nonsense from our "every sperm is sacred" apostle.

It's not a pleasant experience but it's not bad. Pain is mimimal, it's uncomfortable, and there is NO WAY you are going to get sex during recovery due to the absolute unsexiness of the support jock strap.

But once that's done your wife/gf will be very happy. That normally comes with rewards.