Contemplating a Vasectomy-any advice?

HennieWelkom

I will also do this after the second little one is done. no ways am I having more than two children. That third child really ruins you financially. it is bloody expensive raising children.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Update for today... I'm pretty good... No sign of complications...
However still taking it easy.. and will continue to do so for the rest of the week.

Wife is dead keen to test things out on the coming weekend ;-)

Reactions: OCP

Craig

Honorary Master
However still taking it easy.. and will continue to do so for the rest of the week.

Please remember it's not blanks just yet.

fruitbat

Expert Member

1 week down. All ok. Everything working fine.
Only thing I haven’t done yet is go for a run. Will leave that for next probably next week.

And then the ol yank it and crank it in April next year for the test...

powermzii

Expert Member
For guys who did it through medical aid - did you have to get a referral from a GP to a Urologist first or? Whats the process?

Zyk1

Expert Member
For guys who did it through medical aid - did you have to get a referral from a GP to a Urologist first or? Whats the process?
Good question.
I am contemplating it this year and still gathering information

Daruk

Honorary Master
Not at all. I just scheduled it with the doc - it was done at his own premises. Medical aids love vasectomies lol. Just phone them and ask if you need pre-approval - that may differ from medical aid to medical aid.

powermzii

Expert Member
Not at all. I just scheduled it with the doc - it was done at his own premises. Medical aids love vasectomies lol. Just phone them and ask if you need pre-approval - that may differ from medical aid to medical aid.
Cool thanks for this - will call them and double check then find a Dr to do it. Any recommendations for one in PTA East?

fruitbat

Expert Member
Used the guy that did my brother as well as his friends...

I called the Doc, made appt. Discussed the procedure and booked the surgery. To be honest i didnt need that initial consultation as it made no diff in my life, but i guess he needed to check my nuts / tubes were where they are supposed to be :) It did require GAP cover with discovery...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Cool thanks for this - will call them and double check then find a Dr to do it. Any recommendations for one in PTA East?
Sorry, I'm from EC. I'm sure most GPs will do it. Again, consult with your medical aid about recommended docs I think.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
I went to the Mediclinic in Centurion (Panorama Drive). Dr Clive does the procedure in his rooms, with general anaesthetic (they have a theatre setup). Medical Aid approved as it is cheaper than going to a hospital. The procedure and recovery time was about an hour and a half and then I went home. Recovery at home was literally a day. This was in 2009 - no issues or side effects

fruitbat

Expert Member
Must just add one thing... My Mrs had an IUD, which got put in again after my daughter was born. Then removed... when we wanted my son. Then another one put back in. These as I understand, have a 5year life. So I had time to do the snip. Did it around 4.5years through, and did about 4-6months before i went for the squirt in a cup. Wife removed the IUD... Now the wife has no issues at all, no overly heavy flows... kids are happy...
Was a scary thing to do - waiting in the waiting room for the procedure. But its a wait off our shoulders. Don't need any further offspring... would require me working more, wife would probably stop working, bigger house, cars etc etc.