Contract discounts/service/variety rant

DJ...

Banned
I have been perusing the upgrade section of www.vodacom4me.co.za and it appears that obtaining a discount based on your selected contract package no longer applies, or the discounts are no longer applied as they used to be at least. The last time I upgraded in South Africa was in 2002, and at that stage I recall that selecting a Talk1000 package entitled one to pretty much any top end, major brand phone you desired. I am now upgrading my contract (which since returning to SA is a Talk 240), and it seems the discounts are nearly identical or marginal at best regardless of your contract package.

Whilst I was in the UK, service providers practically begged for your business by providing top end cellphones on lower grade packages, bundling uncapped ADSL lines on top of contracts, reducing contract terms to sometimes up to as little as 6 months, subsidising line rentals by sometimes >70%, adding free gifts that would put a smile on the dial of a wealthy Chelsea footballer's wife etc.

We on the other hand are going backwards it appears and Vodafone and the likes are subsidising their hefty discounts abroad, by raping the consumers of developing economies instead. The reason I come to this conclusion is because I cannot obtain a decent phone with the features I would expect in today's tech-savvy world, without paying in a hefty sum (in excess of R2k on most ocassions) on my Talk 240 package. That is lunacy, considering my bill is in excess of R1k consistently every single month, sometimes as much as R3k depending on how busy I choose to be. It is also lunacy that a Talk130 package and a Talk240 package share the exact discounts as one another. Well in what way am I being rewarded for contractually agreeing to provide the service provider with a much higher residual revenue, for 24 months to top it off?

I am actually pretty disgusted by the generally poor standard of service that I received whilst calling Vodacom to discuss this as well, but that is an aside point and worthy of its own thread. In general I am disgusted with (and I want to say Vodacom but they are not the only culprits) all service providers in this country.

What I want is a no-hassle upgrade either telephonically or via the internet (no it isnt minimal hassle whatever Vodacom claim), with a wide range of choices (not the minimal selection we currently have of delayed handsets), and friendly service. It isnt too much to ask; in fact it is the cornerstone of any service based company. I want the service providers to work for my continued business, instead of me spending the better part of a day researching the net in a failed attempt to find out release details and specs for all phones available, and soon to be available. I want release dates for those not yet available and indicative prices. I want discounts fairly distributed according to one's contract and I want pricing to be a lot more fair. In a nutshell I am asking that one service provider step up to the plate and look after the consumer before it looks after itself, because we will in turn look after you!

/end rant

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is what happens where there is only the illusion of competition.

Colin62

Executive Member
Couldn't agree more - I can't replace my N80 with an N82 unless I pay in R1700, and that makes me think I'm being ripped off. Vodacom's websites are out of date, and when you mention it to them, instead of a reply thanking you and promising to correct it, they tell you to phone in. I always thought the great thing about the Internet is how easy it is to update the content but it seems I was wrong.

I just wish there were real choices.

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
This is what happens where there is only the illusion of competition.
The cellular industry in South Africa is an oligopoly...

I find that MTN's new contracts are very good value for money, and you get a top end phone...

@ DJK:

Why not port over to MTN and their Anytime contracts?

Try them...

It might sound as if I'm flogging MTN over Vodacom, but I'm just so fed up with Vodacom and their pitiful offerings on TopUp, that I HATE them now...

:)

DJ...

Banned
I think blunormore is starting to rub off on you DJK
Ha, must be.

Identity: I was with MTN for a number of years as well, and did not enjoy the experience. In fact while overseas I was paying for my sister's contract. I placed a hard-cap of R300 calls per month. They assured me it was working. Well it wasnt and took 6 months to have it implemented eventually. They also refused to refund the amounts in excess of the hard cap even though they agreed that it was their fault. I knew some very senior managers at MTN at that stage and even got it to their level to no avail. Seems nobody really cared. I swore to never return to MTN, under any condition.

Yip, welcome back to South Africa...

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
Ha, must be.

Identity: I was with MTN for a number of years as well, and did not enjoy the experience. In fact while overseas I was paying for my sister's contract. I placed a hard-cap of R300 calls per month. They assured me it was working. Well it wasnt and took 6 months to have it implemented eventually. They also refused to refund the amounts in excess of the hard cap even though they agreed that it was their fault. I knew some very senior managers at MTN at that stage and even got it to their level to no avail. Seems nobody really cared. I swore to never return to MTN, under any condition.

Yip, welcome back to South Africa...
Oh dear. (hmmm sounding like blunomore :eek:)

What about Virgin Mobile? Are they an option?

:confused:

shadley

I am just coming off virgin mobile, did not have a good experience either but then that serves me right for taking the Nokia 8800.

Maybe partially my own fault. As for virgin's service at the end it was very good. The problem is that they dont offer any of the premium services as the other carriers.

So if you into data, internet etc, dont even think about it. 1 cool thing on a virgin prepaid I think is FREE SMS for life. Still dont know how that works.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Nice rant dude, and +1 to the original post :) Well, except the part where I might have spent time living in the UK and spending 1-3k per month :D

DJ...

Banned
And then MTN stepped up to the plate - they appear to have listened to what their subscribers (and VC's) want and as much as I wore I wouldn't go back, it appears that they are willing to fight to get me back - that, I like...