Corruption carnage at Kusile

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Corruption carnage at Kusile

Millions of rand was siphoned from power utility Eskom through irregular contracts, excessive furniture spending, and a donation to a suspect foundation chaired by former president Jacob Zuma.

This is according to The Sunday Times, which was reporting on a series of investigative reports into Eskom contracts by law firm Bowmans.

The reports - which were obtained by the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organised Crime - were initially commissioned by former Eskom CEO Phakamani Hadebe in 2018.

system32

Expert Member
The furniture purchased at inflated prices for the complex included:
  • R18,000 for a pool table typically priced at R3,500, a 425% mark-up.
  • R2,900 for desks currently priced at R499, a 481% mark-up.
  • R4,400 for two-seater couches worth R500, a mark-up of 780%.
A further R4 million was spent on kitchen equipment, R440,000 on crockery, and R47,100 on cutlery.
How does this kitchen contract cause Kusili power station, budgeted at R64 billion, to balloon to R226 billion?

Then I read:
Bowmans reports have red flagged contracts and tenders to the value of R178 billion.

When we going to see some jail time for these crooks?

Brenden_E

Executive Member
R178 billion is more than I can contextualize.
Unfortunately, politicians throw out the race card and 90% of the population goes dumb. Zero accountability to those who wasted away a generation's future. Zero change; the ANC still strong after decades of partying their supporters into poverty.

The show must go on.

The_MAC

Executive Member
R178 billion is more than I can contextualize.
Unfortunately, politicians throw out the race card and 90% of the population goes dumb. Zero accountability to those who wasted away a generation's future. Zero change; the ANC still strong after decades of partying their supporters into poverty.

The show must go on.
Isn't the EFF supposed to storm Lithuli House?

grok

Honorary Master
High-fives Thuli for calling it, those feelings you spoke of recently are on the rise again, gurl!!

The Magster

I'm certain it will take a long time for any jail time to materialise, if indeed that does happen, because the rot at these places goes way up to the top. The oxygen thieves up there will not allow their pocket money to dry up.