• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Latest One-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Home Mini Smart Speaker and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.

Crystal Web DSL performance feedback thread Part 4...

Vin82

Unfortunately you have not been around for long and may have not followed the whole story as it enfolded.
The systems involved do not automatically update at the same time. There is a delay between the suspension, and the detail being available to anyone, including Telkom , so they can't see what has caused the suspension for a good few hours. Hence neither them or another ISP is able to do anything especially over a weekend.
It is CW that should be sorting this out. There are actions it has to take. Only when your line appears in the holding pool will any ISP be able to take it over.
That includes Telkom as an ISP.
So far only one ISP is truly trying to help and that is AH. Initially, you have to keep hammering at the CW door.
Once you get an SMS to say your line is back in the holding pool can any of the automated systems kick in. So in the meantime, you are between a rock and a hard place.
There is no short term solution as well.
A few of us are trying to convince Telkom to set up some or other dedicated team to handle these things. We have tried to get OpenServe to also take action.

So here are few things you can do.
1. Add your case to the already in process ICASA complaint. The details are here on this thread somewhere.
2. Keep hammering at CW till you get a response to the suspension.
3. Get them to place your line back in the holding pool and then terminate your ISP service with them, or, restore your service.
4. Don't use the word "cancel" in any correspondence with anyone, as it very often gets interpreted as a request to cancel your ADSL line.
5. Then you can call in the help of your preferred ISP. If you choose one deal with that ISP privately.

6. If you have a working activated fixed telephone line, Telkom appear to be able to help especially if you want to transfer the ADSL line back to Telkom. Note this NOT your ISP service. That is a second step.
Thanks for the info, I've been following this issue since the first round of suspensions in October so I'm very familiar with all that has transpired and the things you guys have tried to get your lines reconnected.

I contacted evonet/crystal web the minute I got home Friday and found out my line was down again. All they could tell me was the line was suspended and that I needed to contact Telkom to find out why. To say I was upset by that response was an understatement, especially since it was a Friday evening with no immediate recourse available. To add insult to injury Telkom also tells me the next day that they can only offer me 4mb line speed, which is half the speed I had before this colossal balls up. So, in conclusion, I'm left hoping now that the ISP I have signed up with can make a plan to keep my line at the same speed when they pick it up from the holding pool, but I'm not very hopeful after the weekend I've just had.

Anakha56

Well Telkom now have no clue about what is happening with my DSL line. No information regarding holding pool or anything to that effect. "CW" have no idea what is going on and the person who is handling my ICASA complaint from Telkom is not responding to my emails. What a colossal balls up...

My line is still working but man I need to get this moved to Telkom ASAP...

Geoff.D

Executive Member
It is never a good thing when too many parties try to manage the same issue at the same time.
Theoretically, it should be impossible for a working line to end up in the holding pool. Unless of course your case has exposed another flaw in the holding pool process!

Last edited:

ReneeGK

Jaha, I have a working line again! Was also suspended on Friday without any information, never did the cancellation after last months diseaster. CW were again not able to do anything, cancelled Friday evening everything, AH couldn't retreive line from Telkom because of pending order. Called Telkom sales, there was no pending order, line was not in holding pool or anything; all they could do was order a new dsl line, would take 7 to 14 days and technician had to come out. As no other option I agreed to that; and for some reason 7 to 14 minutes later I have a working line. No idea with who, but it works.

Anakha56

@Geoff.D Well in my ICASA complaint I did say that disconnecting me without proper consultation will be an illegal move on either parties part. Maybe thats why I am "special"? lol

From CW:

Support General
Telkom moved these lines without informing anyone
Telkom Sales says my line is active and not showing in the holding pool or cancelled and my account only has a voice portion no DSL portion. "CW" say that they cannot assist further because all lines were moved away from their control.

I've placed a cancellation of my voice line with Telkom as I've given up on my adsl line being migrated back to the holding pool.
"Cancellation Effective Date: 2018/12/17"
Hopefully after the 17th of december, it'll mean that the telkom line is completely cancelled, with no shenanigans regarding any adsl line rental costs.

The person handling my ICASA complaint (Ramagoma) has been ignoring my emails since 9 November.

I've resorted to ordering LTE with Web Africa. I've been up for about 2 weeks with them now.

aktor

Jaha, I have a working line again! Was also suspended on Friday without any information, never did the cancellation after last months diseaster. CW were again not able to do anything, cancelled Friday evening everything, AH couldn't retreive line from Telkom because of pending order. Called Telkom sales, there was no pending order, line was not in holding pool or anything; all they could do was order a new dsl line, would take 7 to 14 days and technician had to come out. As no other option I agreed to that; and for some reason 7 to 14 minutes later I have a working line. No idea with who, but it works.
They also told me 7 to 14 days, but I've had no luck with it being on yet. Phoned them at 10am, and I'm still off.

Is your ADSL line still showing on your telephone account from Telkom? If so, that would be your first port of call after resetting your router and the line still being down.
If not then:
CW is not playing the game here. You appointed them to manage your line on your behalf.
They should be following this up with Openserve, NOT you.
If the line is back in the holding pool then they should see that it has been moved back, not say it might have been.
Telkom on the other hand wont immediately see that the line is in the holding pool because of the delay in the process. Both CW and Telkom should be able to request a reset by accessing the Openserve system. CW should be doing it. If it is a fault then CW should be taking action on your behalf. If Telkom do it it is as a favour.

What should you do? You could get Telkom or Another ISP to try and check for you.
If you have a working fixed line telephone service, transfer the ADSL line to Telkom. Then at least you will have a direct reporting line when ADSL or line faults occur.
THEN decide who you want to be your ISP.
It could be Telkom or anyone else of your choosing.
Thanks for the reply.
Its exactly as you say.
I actually just got off the phone with Telkom and after finding out my line was suspended they managed to unsuspend it and do a port reset, which was actually all that was needed.
CW (in this case, Evonet) still claims it was CW who moved the lines back to Telkom.
My question is, why am I still paying them if they can't do anything about it?
My answer is I'm actually just going to find a new ISP and be done with them.

Thanks again.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
I've placed a cancellation of my voice line with Telkom as I've given up on my adsl line being migrated back to the holding pool.
"Cancellation Effective Date: 2018/12/17"
Hopefully after the 17th of december, it'll mean that the telkom line is completely cancelled, with no shenanigans regarding any adsl line rental costs.

The person handling my ICASA complaint (Ramagoma) has been ignoring my emails since 9 November.

I've resorted to ordering LTE with Web Africa. I've been up for about 2 weeks with them now.
That is one way of going about it. Not the best way necessarily. But it does mean that after the dust is settled you could restart on a clean slate next year if you want to go back to a fixed line service.

schurtek

I am at my wits end with this matter. I was a CW wholesale client, and EvoNet purchased the client base from CW.

The phone number on EvoNet's website does not exist. If I phone CW and go to the wholesale department, I get a voicemail and nobody ever phones back.

If I phone the wholesale technical manager at EvoNet on his mobile, I get told I have to deal with CW with this matter as EvoNet didn't take over the ADSL circuits, yet I am paying EvoNet for these lines that EvoNet can't provide.

I am spending so much time phoning Telkom.

My home line has now been cancelled, I assume by EvoNet or CW as I have no sync, no dial tone, and no voltage. Telkom can't assist me either, unless I order a new service at a charge.

I am losing clients like there is no tomorrow. This whole disaster is hurting my bottom line.

The disgusting part is that EvoNet will charge me for a months notice period when I am losing clients because of them.

Karl KSThree.com

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Thanks for the reply.
Its exactly as you say.
I actually just got off the phone with Telkom and after finding out my line was suspended they managed to unsuspend it and do a port reset, which was actually all that was needed.
CW (in this case, Evonet) still claims it was CW who moved the lines back to Telkom.
My question is, why am I still paying them if they can't do anything about it?
My answer is I'm actually just going to find a new ISP and be done with them.

Thanks again.
The holidays are approaching. If you want to move do it sooner than later.

aktor

I hear ya. I am also sitting with NO internet since this morning, and according to Telkom I will continue to have no internet until a Telkom technician can show up to "install a new ADSL service". Even though my line was working fine last night. CW royally screwed up my line, and once again didn't communicate anything. At all. It's been in the holding pool so long that the ADSL portion of the line got deleted entirely this morning, and now it's a "new order" process with Telkom all over again.

After the last suspension fiasco of last month, I honestly don't understand how CW/Evonet/whatever they call themselves now, can get away with it. It's just not acceptable. They screwed up last month and we got suspended for a few days. They screwed up again this month and now it's 7-14 days to get Telkom to install ADSL service for us all over again.

Anakha56

If only we could contact OpenServe directly...

"CW" are unable to help, we are on our own on this. The Support team at "CW" have no portal to confirm line status besides the speed of the line. There is nothing that they can do.

My DSL line is existing somewhere but Telkom can't see it, "CW" can't see it which only leaves me with OpenServe but there is no contact number for them.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
They also told me 7 to 14 days, but I've had no luck with it being on yet. Phoned them at 10am, and I'm still off.
Mine took 10 days before the technician came out to "install" the line again. Only become active yesterday evening.

Vin82

I'm, not sure if this has been said on here previously. I just chatted to an Evonet support person and they said the only way to contact the old co is to email legal@crystalweb.co.za. They said I can try requesting my line be moved back to the pool via that address.

patrick123

Expert Member
I'm, not sure if this has been said on here previously. I just chatted to an Evonet support person and they said the only way to contact the old co is to email legal@crystalweb.co.za. They said I can try requesting my line be moved back to the pool via that address.
Evonet gave me Paul HJul's CW address, this is his reply:

Mr xxxxx

I have no control of your line or data account and any suggestion to the effect that I do is false (it seems that the EvoNet support desk are falsely seeking to claim that I am holding the lines and handing out my email address). I have no insight into what EvoNet are billing out or why and suspect that same have done something or another to cause problems within the Openserve systems and that they can't fix same. I suggest establishing from Telkom whether the circuit is under their control or if they can pull it from any holding pool.

Regards

Paul

Geoff.D

Executive Member
If only we could contact OpenServe directly...

"CW" are unable to help, we are on our own on this. The Support team at "CW" have no portal to confirm line status besides the speed of the line. There is nothing that they can do.

My DSL line is existing somewhere but Telkom can't see it, "CW" can't see it which only leaves me with OpenServe but there is no contact number for them.
Now if only pigs could fly, and if only Telkom could see the huge opportunity sitting in their laps by putting effort into helping CW customers. They have access to ALL systems ( maybe not the call centre and front line desk people), but someone has, they can short circuit the mess, get people back on the air and gain customers! It could take only a few hours.

schurtek

Has anyone from CW or EN even had the decency to respond to this thread?

I am waiting patiently for someone from CW to call, but I think I am waiting in vain.

Only one person from EN even has the decency to call me, and I am now waiting for her to get info and call again.

After some googling, it seems that CW owes OpenServe around 2 barr. https://www.nag.co.za/2018/11/20/cr...ning-to-leave-the-isp-after-openserve-mishap/

schurtek

I just received this from Paul Hjul who responded to my email sent to legal@crystalweb.co.za

Code:
Mr Schurmann

I am forwarding your email to the EvoNet (trading as Crystal Web) support manager as I suspect you are an EvoNet wholesale customer.

If you have emailed me due to misinformation as to DSL (and OFB) circuits let me state the following:
Circuits that were under the control of Crystal Web (Pty) Ltd are in the holding pool. There is some difficulties that arise within the myriad of things making up the holding pool but ultimately an ISP with an ECS licence can take control of the circuits and Telkom can take control of the circuits. EvoNet do not hold an ECS licence and cannot do business with Openserve therefore they cannot manage the circuits.

So far the only ISP I am aware of that has dedicated resources to navigate the holding pool structure to get migrations managed efficiently is Afrihost (afriman@afrihost.com) however I don't know how a wholesale client will navigate the space.

Sincerely
Paul Hjul