Crystal Web DSL performance feedback thread Part 4...

Anakha56

Afrihost is out, I will only do debit orders for home loan and car loan. Everything else I will do EFT...

DoodleBug

So Evonet discontinued DSL and LTE service with immediate effect - thanks for letting customer know ahead of time and not just cutting a connection immediately during the day and especially when they accepted payment for the coming month (direct to Evonet) couple of days before this. Should I ever go the fibre route it certainly will not be with Evonet. Worst move ever to pull on existing clients.
Same thing just happened with my retired aunt... No real warning and to make matters worse she has R485.33 credit with them. EvoNet happy took her payment for the month... The month isn't even over!

DoodleBug

Yeah. OK for a quick fix who to go with..? Afrihost? Which ones are best for streaming..?
This any recommendations please willing to pay or demo account, my aunt needs her Netflix and she has a medical student saying here for a while and she needs internet to study and submit work.

ekske1

Executive Member
This any recommendations please willing to pay or demo account, my aunt needs her Netflix and she has a medical student saying here for a while and she needs internet to study and submit work.
imho vox, axxess or webafrica instead of afrihost. Experiences my differ :laugh:

Last edited:

Cartier22

I went with vox was connected in minutes and it's costing me less :D

snail112

Expert Member
I am so glad I cut the ties end of March 2018. Although I was disappointed and sad to leave, I just could not stand the bad service since CW changed to EvoNet.

I upgraded my 40GB WebAfrica backup account to 100GB and did not look back since.

Reactions: rh1

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Report Evonet... Shouldn't cut people's lines just like that. They needed to give proper notice and at least some form of notice period

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Paul Hjul just posted an update on bookface

Another update on Crystal Web - and one I've been expecting since November.

EvoNet who have failed and refused to pay for the client book that they bought have shut down DSL and LTE services.

They allege that the reason is because "a large proportion of customers have continued to pay Crystal Web directly for these services, and have not switched over to paying EvoNet, in spite of various notices and reminders of the changeover being sent" but less than 10% of customers continued paying Crystal Web (which represented negligible reduction in their debt). The truth is more likely that the strategy of trying to milk consumers goodwill dried up faster than expected.

The reality is that from June 2017 the ship has been steered towards this inevitable rocky path due to incompetence. I genuinely believed (and based on quite a lot that has emerged since believe) that the agreement reached for cession of the client book to EvoNet was the best course for all concerned. The problem is that I also believed that the individuals involved with EvoNet had some intent to actually make a business work. What I don't know at this stage is whether the employees are being retrenched and what the next series of blunders from EvoNet will be.

ekske1

Executive Member
Report Evonet... Shouldn't cut people's lines just like that. They needed to give proper notice and at least some form of notice period
Inasmuch their right to trade should be revoked.

Paul Hjul just posted an update on bookface

Another update on Crystal Web - and one I've been expecting since November.

EvoNet who have failed and refused to pay for the client book that they bought have shut down DSL and LTE services.

They allege that the reason is because "a large proportion of customers have continued to pay Crystal Web directly for these services, and have not switched over to paying EvoNet, in spite of various notices and reminders of the changeover being sent" but less than 10% of customers continued paying Crystal Web (which represented negligible reduction in their debt). The truth is more likely that the strategy of trying to milk consumers goodwill dried up faster than expected.

The reality is that from June 2017 the ship has been steered towards this inevitable rocky path due to incompetence. I genuinely believed (and based on quite a lot that has emerged since believe) that the agreement reached for cession of the client book to EvoNet was the best course for all concerned. The problem is that I also believed that the individuals involved with EvoNet had some intent to actually make a business work. What I don't know at this stage is whether the employees are being retrenched and what the next series of blunders from EvoNet will be.
Surprise levels at 0%.

quovadis

Expert Member
Hjul: The problem is that I also believed that the individuals involved with EvoNet had some intent to actually make a business work.
He speaks like he had absolutely no involvement with EvoNet whatsoever - something very dodgy about this whole matter.

smirkie

Gone! I could not connect this afternoon and received this reply:

"Dear Client,

As you know, last year EvoNet acquired the Crystal Web client base, including its DSL (Openserve IPC) and LTE (RAIN) services. This notification is being sent to you because you are using either of these two services.

Unfortunately, since this time, a large proportion of customers have continued to pay Crystal Web directly for these services, and have not switched over to paying EvoNet, in spite of various notices and reminders of the changeover being sent.

As a result, EvoNet has incurred substantial costs in continuing to offer DSL and LTE services, while Crystal Web has not provided any form of service in this regard and has not transferred client payments made in error back to EvoNet. We have therefore been operating DSL and LTE services at a loss for a continued period and have now had to re-evaluate our position with regards to both.

As such, we have decided to discontinue our DSL and LTE services with immediate effect. We will be re-aligning our offerings to cater only for existing and new fibre broadband services. Although we may re-evaluate this position in the future, for now we simply cannot continue to provide services that, due to payments being incorrectly made to Crystal Web, are not financially viable.

To clarify once more, the decision to discontinue our DSL and LTE services only affects DSL and LTE clients. All fibre broadband, hosting, mail, and other services are not affected by this strategic decision.

EvoNet will now move forward with a sharp focus on new technologies and services orientated around fibre broadband offerings a"

That is where it ends.

The irony is that I am on fibre and its been steadily getting worse for the last 3 weeks. My ping is almost 400ms and they told me its due to going to overseas sites lol. Tonight they even closed their online support. I see a sinking ship. Time to leave and certainly do not consider going with them.

Bernie

Expert Member
R.I.P CW.

I was one of the very early clients, was great for a while, I left over a year ago. I wonder what went wrong - Greed, incompetence, ego, fraud, all of the above? Maybe some lessons here for other startups.

Anakha56

According to their "Support" page they have a massive amount of complaints and requests for refunds thats why no-one has dealt with my ticket yet. I wonder why... It would have helped if they mentioned the refund process in the email they sent...

Cartier22

According to their "Support" page they have a massive amount of complaints and requests for refunds thats why no-one has dealt with my ticket yet. I wonder why... It would have helped if they mentioned the refund process in the email they sent...
Mine must have been one of the first ones in :ROFL:
Yet what did they expect after doing this? Immediate discontinuation of service how about immediate refund.
Also where to report this as I don't seen them on ICASA so where to go from here?